I got Tags!!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I just got six tags for alligators from LDWF this year and will be hunting them in Plaquemines Parish. Im so giddy this will be the first year I am not piggy backing with someone else. Just wish the economy was there to sell them, looks like I will be having gator in the freezer darn:D

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I just got six tags for alligators from LDWF this year and will be hunting them in Plaquemines Parish. Im so giddy this will be the first year I am not piggy backing with someone else. Just wish the economy was there to sell them, looks like I will be having gator in the freezer darn:D

That is awesome. I wanted to hung gator but the application really confused me. I guess you have to know a land owner because they asked for the land owners name for permission........right?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    hunting them on private land?

Yes, one of the pros of my job is we have 500+ acres of hunting land and when I started and joined the club one of the first things I asked was does anyone hunt alligators and they said no because management wouldnt approve it, guess what I am "management":rofl: so the General Manager had no problem signing the paperwork..

Hunting on management areas is a " closed bid lottery" meaning you tell the state how much of the revenue you will give to them. Seems they are always wanting like 30%. I know guys who put in for it for years and years and would never get selected so last year they raised hell saying they were hooking up their buddies etc... and finally got some.

yes the paperwork can be difficult as I was concerned they were going to deny me as I didnt fill something out correctly, but they didnt.

The season starts next week, I've already got my 14 gauge hooks and like 1200lb test line so now all I need is some chicken quaters and I will be ready to go. I actually have some meat that Gustav ruined last year with power outage that I refroze and plan on trying.

I hope to have some pics up in the next few weeks.

I hate the term Alligator hunting as essentially you bait them and then shoot them once they are on your line.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Hunting on management areas is a " closed bid lottery" meaning you tell the state how much of the revenue you will give to them. Seems they are always wanting like 30%. I know guys who put in for it for years and years and would never get selected so last year they raised hell saying they were hooking up their buddies etc... and finally got some.

So the revenue is from selling the gator meat? :confused:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Man I'd love to come with you to help. Never been up close and personal with a live gator large enough to harvest.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    So the revenue is from selling the gator meat? :confused:

Selling them whole. For most places there is a 4 hour window from the time it is harvested to the time they buy them.

The price depends on size say 0-6' is $16 per foot, 6-8 $20 per foot etc... not necessarily the right prices. Then they start deducting price because it was hit with a prop or you shot it with a 45-70 and blew the jaw etc... They can get real picky as they have to detrmine how much they can make off of it.

if anyone knows of places buying them let me know;)

I am just wanting to recoup some of the money I have invested into it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom