I Have a couple questions about a Kimber 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cropdusta87

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    I was doing some research because I am interested in purchasing a Kimber 1911. I was very interested in the full size tactical model. The factory price if bought directly from Kimber is 1250 but of course thats not what I will be paying for it because I will be purchasing from a gun dealer. I also saw the Kimber custom II and it is priced at 850. I looked at the specs on both and the only differeces I found were that the tactical has night sites, different grip plates (I guess thats what you call them), and a 22lb recoil spring rather than a 16lb spring. So i mean is that worth the 400 dollar price difference. I would think you could replace all that on the custom II and come out paying less and in the end pretty much have the same gun. What do any of you think? Any advice on purchasing a Kimber? It must be for the most part all black.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I've had NO issues with my Kimber and people I know that own them have had zero issues as well!! The negativity that I've heard of them from people on different forums is no more than any other brand I've heard about at different times!!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    When I was looking to buy a 1911 in the 1K range I did a lot of internet research on Kimber. It was a mixed bag of reviews and my personal impression was buying a Kimber was a crap shoot. Maybe I would get an excellent pistol. Maybe I was buying a problem gun. After researching other brands one brand stood out as consistantly good. Smith and Wesson. Normally S&W is known for revolvers but their 1911 line is excellent. I bought one and have around 500 rounds through it with out so much as a hiccup. Out of the box it is extremly accurate anf fit and finish are what you would expect for a firearm of it's price. I have shot other members Kimbers and they shot well without any problems. One thing about the Smith 1911's that is different than most others is the external extractor which was not an issue with me. It works well on Glocks so why not on a 1911. My advice is research what you want and weigh the evidence. Kimber does do some slick advertising layouts though. Good luck with your purchase. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757754_-1_757752_757751_image

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    My dad has a kinber CDP ultra whatever and for what it's worth, it's a reliable weapon. He loves it. But, for what it's worth, I have a springfield mil-spec and it was a reliable weapon for 5000 or so till I had to buy a new extractor. now it's reliable again. I would buy a kimber if I had the extra money to pay, as his is a really good looking gun.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I own Kimber, Colt, and Springfield 1911s. They are all good to go. Most of the issues I hear are with Kimber's ultra line. I would stick with a 4 inch or a 5 inch full size gun.

As far as your questions. I paide 750 for a stainless II model and put night sights on it myself. I think the best deal for the money in the Kimber line is the TLE version. If you want to get fancy and get a tactical entry, but you get the same features for less on a TLE.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    S&W or Springfield

I would also probably look into the new Ruger Sr1911 line eventhough they are hard to find at this time

I had bad luck with Kimber in the past and I dont think they are what they claim them to be, unless you get a semi-custom and then prices are OUT there.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    What exactly is wrong with Kimber. I heard a lot of goo things about them. If they arent as good as people say then what brand 1911 should I get.

I bought a Kimber a few years ago and it was very very picky on ammo. Could not hardly get a full magazine through it. The gun was beautiful but I could not seem to find what it liked to eat. Ended up selling it and buying two Springfield guns....my GI will eat anything I feed it.

I know people who swear by their Kimbers but my experience was that while the gun was beautiful I could just not get mine to work properly and would never have trusted that particular gun.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The conventional wisdom is that Kimber has become a victim of it's success and the newer guns are not of the same quality as the older ones that built their reputation. I have a Custom II that I bought in 2000 and its been a superb gun. I haven't kept a log but I know I've put at least 5000 rounds through it. Hell, I've shot almost 2,00 this year in two schools! I've had only one instance of repeated failures and that was the one time I ran Magtech ball through it. Everything else I've ever fed it, including the Russian crap ammo, it ate and spit out the empty like a champ. My experience has been good. My friends who have newer Kimbers have had similarly good experiences. There are a lot of people who seem to enjoy trash talking Kimbers so you need to filter the internet chatter a little. Do your research, buy what appeals to you for the money you have to spend.

If you are not stuck on a 1911, consider the HK45 with the LEM trigger for about the same money as a Kimber. Read Todd Green's torture test; 50,000 rounds with one small failure at the end. Also, the pistol appeals to 1911 shooters because it had an almost identical grip to bore angle. Warning about HKs, they are as addictive as 1911s.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd look at Springfield Armory, Dan Wesson, or maybe the new Ruger.

I'm not a fan of the Swartz safety on the Kimber II series guns.

Also, I know one person who had an Ultra 2 that would start to jam after 100 rounds. I also know a person who had a SIS with the same problem.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The "problem" is that you're paying closer to full on custom prices for production line guns. And as Kimber has rushed to keep up with demand, their QC has suffered. Prior to this, there were no bad ones; now, you're as likely to pull a lemon as you would be buying a gun that costs a third as much.

I've personally seen-- rough feed ramps, safety plungers that wouldn't last 1k rounds, poor slide-to-frame fit, loose/falling apart external safeties (especially ambidextrous), and problematic grip safeties. The list of "heard about" problems is notably longer.

For the money you're paying, you've got too strong of a chance (IMO) to get a gun that doesn't work well out of the box. On top of that, if you actually shoot your pistol (several thousand rounds a year), the likelihood of running into issues dramatically increases. It's not so much that they're God awful firearms. The issue is that for so much money, you can get something a lot better.

I'm not a 1911 guy/guru, but I would definitely look to STI above anything else at this point in time. I have NEVER seen a pistol come from them that didn't blow me away.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The conventional wisdom is that Kimber has become a victim of it's success and the newer guns are not of the same quality as the older ones that built their reputation. I have a Custom II that I bought in 2000 and its been a superb gun. I haven't kept a log but I know I've put at least 5000 rounds through it. Hell, I've shot almost 2,00 this year in two schools! I've had only one instance of repeated failures and that was the one time I ran Magtech ball through it. Everything else I've ever fed it, including the Russian crap ammo, it ate and spit out the empty like a champ. My experience has been good. My friends who have newer Kimbers have had similarly good experiences. There are a lot of people who seem to enjoy trash talking Kimbers so you need to filter the internet chatter a little. Do your research, buy what appeals to you for the money you have to spend.

If you are not stuck on a 1911, consider the HK45 with the LEM trigger for about the same money as a Kimber. Read Todd Green's torture test; 50,000 rounds with one small failure at the end. Also, the pistol appeals to 1911 shooters because it had an almost identical grip to bore angle. Warning about HKs, they are as addictive as 1911s.

+1 on the HK45. I have the Tactical on my must buy list. Almost bought a HK45 yesterday but it didn't work out. I ended up with a XDM 45 Competition. It's a win/win either way.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    Two years ago I purchased a Kimber Custom ll and paid around $750 for it at a gun dealer. It was very accurate and reliable, it ate every kind of ammo I threw at it. It just became too much to try to conceal carry so I sold it and bought my G23. Would I buy another Kimber? In a minute.

Jack

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Don't

Talk to Jim Hall in LFT. Jim is pistolsmith for several federal agencies.

Some of Kimber's in-house internal parts are not well-made.

I have a UCDP. I have owned and shot 1911's over 50 years.

Almost anything else is a better value.

Look at the STI's.

I won't respond here again.

leVieux

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom