I love dogs but.........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    305b5287c629f114c472d9710141ebbf.jpg

We just switched from freeze to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Thank You! you should see her in person. She is very well behaved as well. I can walk her right into bass pro shop, the only time she barked was the first time she saw the stuffed bear!

Speaking of bears, I'm not sure if bear spray is more effective than LEO grade spray, but if it's effective to stop a pissed off grizzly...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Speaking of bears, I'm not sure if bear spray is more effective than LEO grade spray, but if it's effective to stop a pissed off grizzly...

I guess but i sure do see a lot of locals in Alaska with .44mags etc strapped on their belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I used to carry a compact baton but now I don't walk my dog in areas that have strays/issues.

I've heard bear spray does wonders too.

Unfortunately I am only trying to walk my dog around my block, and that is where I am having the strays. It is not from my neighborhood, but one nearby that the dogs wander from. I would not have confidence in the baton. If my dog was angry, I do not think a baton would stop her fast enough. My neighbor hit a large pit bull that surprised him in his garage square with a 2x4 and the dog merely wandered off a little perturbed. I will look into the bear spray, I remember hearing that pepper spray was more effective on grizzly bears than bullets! The pepper was so unnatural and disgusting to them that it stopped them. I will certainly look into some kind of spray. I do not want to shoot a dog, the thought of a spray for a dog never crossed my mind (duh!). At least if I had to I could try the spray first.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    I had a job which in part consisted of reeducating animals of the ursine family that humans are to be avoided. I can say without reservation the pepper spray works fast and well on large ursines, pesky squirrels and other rodents that like to tear apart hiking gear for food and salt deposits. I never sprayed a dog but I would expect similar results. Two caveats: I had lethal backup available and, in my opinion, I believe I just taught the ursines I "reeducated" that people in uniform are to be feared and not everyone else. :)

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Unfortunately I am only trying to walk my dog around my block, and that is where I am having the strays. It is not from my neighborhood, but one nearby that the dogs wander from. I would not have confidence in the baton. If my dog was angry, I do not think a baton would stop her fast enough. My neighbor hit a large pit bull that surprised him in his garage square with a 2x4 and the dog merely wandered off a little perturbed. I will look into the bear spray, I remember hearing that pepper spray was more effective on grizzly bears than bullets! The pepper was so unnatural and disgusting to them that it stopped them. I will certainly look into some kind of spray. I do not want to shoot a dog, the thought of a spray for a dog never crossed my mind (duh!). At least if I had to I could try the spray first.

The bear spray comment was kind of a joke, sorry. To be honest, I bring her where she won't have any interactions with other dogs unless I know them and their owners.

One time of being picked up and shaken at the dog park was enough.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I have found that a 'hot shot' from Tractor Supply works good. I have a pack of dogs at the house, and occasionally a fight breaks out. Getting in the middle of a dog fight just sucks. But zap their azz with a cattle prod, and things get back in order quickly.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have found that a 'hot shot' from Tractor Supply works good. I have a pack of dogs at the house, and occasionally a fight breaks out. Getting in the middle of a dog fight just sucks. But zap their azz with a cattle prod, and things get back in order quickly.

That is what I was going to post. They work!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    So, I have a buddy who delivered mail.. He is a master dog whisperer... Why you ask? Well the sprays and electronic things the issue do nothing for a semi angry dog... he has the scars to prove it.. Now, He carries dog treats..

Moral to the story, not all dogs respond to sprays, just like not all humans do..

The cattle prod will definately stop almost anything from attacking, but I sincerely think a BIG GSD yanking and tugging around an attacking dog would also keep you from having very good aim with the prod.. even a gun.. So, I really have no advice other than to keep carrying the gun and plead your case..

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Well it sounds like nothing bad happened. So if you get spray and see the pit bull again and use the spray you should know you made an enemy of it. And the next time you see it you will definitely need the gun.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Well it sounds like nothing bad happened. So if you get spray and see the pit bull again and use the spray you should know you made an enemy of it. And the next time you see it you will definitely need the gun.

Believe me, I am not looking to spray a dog if nothing bad is happening. Usually the stray will walk up, they sniff each other, the stray cringes and walks off. I do worry that one day the stray will not be as docile as the one I encountered yesterday. I am not the type to go looking for trouble or enjoy hurting a stray dog. But if a stray snaps at my dog, she will snap back, and that can get out of hand very quickly.

Top Bottom