I made a 4 year old girl cry today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    This evening my Dad & I were eating dinner at a local restaurant. At the table across the aisle was a young couple with two cute little girls. While we were eating, I became aware of a commotion at their table. The mother was grabbing the 4 year old who was turning blue. I jumped up, snatched the child away from the mom, and performed the Heimlich maneuver. The girl spewed out a chunk of steak and started crying, sweetest music I've ever heard! I handed the little girl back to her mom and dad & sat back down to get my blood pressure back to where it belongs. All through the rest of dinner the little girl kept staring at me like I had tried to kill her. Sweetie, you go ahead and think that, I 'm happy with it.

What totally disgusts me is NOBODY else moved a muscle to help this little girl! They were content to just sit there and watch this girl choke to death!

Dear Dad, Thank you so much for raising me to do the right thing & take action, not to turn and look the other way.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This evening my Dad & I were eating dinner at a local restaurant. At the table across the aisle was a young couple with two cute little girls. While we were eating, I became aware of a commotion at their table. The mother was grabbing the 4 year old who was turning blue. I jumped up, snatched the child away from the mom, and performed the Heimlich maneuver. The girl spewed out a chunk of steak and started crying, sweetest music I've ever heard! I handed the little girl back to her mom and dad & sat back down to get my blood pressure back to where it belongs. All through the rest of dinner the little girl kept staring at me like I had tried to kill her. Sweetie, you go ahead and think that, I 'm happy with it.

What totally disgusts me is NOBODY else moved a muscle to help this little girl! They were content to just sit there and watch this girl choke to death!

Dear Dad, Thank you so much for raising me to do the right thing & take action, not to turn and look the other way.

And I award you the iTrophy of the day metal. Awesome job man.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville

Good job, just goes to show you in controlled environments how trained people (if any present in the general public there other than you), can freeze.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I had the pleasure of making my own 4 year old cry, it wasn't steak but a piece of Canadian Bacon off of a Papa John's pizza, the thing that surprised me most was how fast her face turned blue. I had to leave the house afterwards, walked half a mile down the street and back before I could regain my composure. Good Job dougstump.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    The hell with being 'politically correct'.

You saved the little girls life and you should be proud! You did what you had to do and thank God you were man enough to stand up and do it.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Good job. I have a vague idea of how to do the Heimlich maneuver. Would not mind taking a basic CPR type class if I could find a good one.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Way to step up brother.
    ~nobody wanted to get involved. A four year old child choked and died in front of a roomful of people. It was the most tragic scene you could ever imagine. There were people crying, the mother was screaming, the sibling was in shock. The father held his limp lifeless child and sobbed uncontrollably.~

This is what you stopped. I can hear that music too. Thanks for acting and being who you are.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    A+ Doug!! About 25 years ago I came up on an accident where a car was flipped over, occupant still in hanging upside down by their seatbelt (Thank God!) bleeding and unconscious while everyone was pointing at the wreck. I was the only one that ran to the truck, took my shirt off to pull glass away and pulled the guy out of the wreck and started treatment for shock and bleeding, while screaming for someone to flag a police and call 911. I was 20 years old.-- this is before the time where everyone had cell phones. My Eagle Scout training kicked in and was pretty much calling the shots until the paramedics arrived. The guy was pretty messed up, multiple cuts and gashes -

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Don't be too disgusted with them. Many people "Go Tharn" when stuff like that happens, even when they have the training. Eventually someone would have snapped out of it and done it, but seconds count and the longer she was in distress, the more complicated her situation could have become. Just thank the Lord he put you there to snap into action. You can also take solace in the fact that the people that were around you and saw you go into action so quickly are now primed and more likely to do the same later in life.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Awesome job Doug! I've had nearly the same experience at the beach when I was 15. People just stood there and the "lifeguard" froze up and couldn't even remember the address to the hotel for EMT. I started chest compressions and the girl coughed up the water and started breathing again. Taking 1 Saturday out of my summer to take a CPR class was probably the smartest thing I've ever done.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm no psychologist, but I believe you have overcome what's known as the "bystander effect". Your reaction is more rare than you may realize. Not everyone could or would have done the same.

My hat is of to you, sir.

Thank you for sharing.

billandsonya

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Great story! My wife was at a restaurant one day with a couple of our kids when one of them got choked and turned blue. A lady jumped up and came and took him from his chair and began to work on him. Another lady jumped up and asked everyone to pray for my son, the woman, and my wife. He was soon breathing again.
    My wife was overcome with emotion when she called to tell me and was so grateful for the actions of the one woman and the prayers of the other.

Top Bottom