I realized today just how...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    On top of that, seriously, I'd be willing to bet money that there are students who are illegally carrying loaded firearms on campus EVERY single day, and they won't stop, because they don't care.
    Sure and also staff and visitors. I often try to point this out. While many traditional college students are under 21yo and can't get a CHP that doesn't mean all are. Many students are over 21 and lawfully carry off campus and when it comes time to go to class feel it's better to have it than get caught without it. Then there's staff such as teachers who are certainly old enough to geth a cHP and carry for the same reasons as anyone else. There's other staff like janitors, groundskeepers and maintence who may not share the "liberal" mindset of the typical college professor. The guy mopping the floors of the college could be CCing just like he does everywhere.
    BRCC? The one on Acadian and Winborne where I took my EMT classes? Didn't I just attend a job fair there a couple months ago? I'm not saying I was CCing while I was there but I'm not saying I wasn't. The school was open to the public for the job fair. How many people there that day may have been CCing?
    Without even discussing "college students" (under 18yo frat type) I can give you a dozen examples of someone who may have a CHP who chooses to illegally carry on a campus.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Sure and also staff and visitors. I often try to point this out. While many traditional college students are under 21yo and can't get a CHP that doesn't mean all are. Many students are over 21 and lawfully carry off campus and when it comes time to go to class feel it's better to have it than get caught without it. Then there's staff such as teachers who are certainly old enough to geth a cHP and carry for the same reasons as anyone else. There's other staff like janitors, groundskeepers and maintence who may not share the "liberal" mindset of the typical college professor. The guy mopping the floors of the college could be CCing just like he does everywhere.
    BRCC? The one on Acadian and Winborne where I took my EMT classes? Didn't I just attend a job fair there a couple months ago? I'm not saying I was CCing while I was there but I'm not saying I wasn't. The school was open to the public for the job fair. How many people there that day may have been CCing?
    Without even discussing "college students" (under 18yo frat type) I can give you a dozen examples of someone who may have a CHP who chooses to illegally carry on a campus.

BRCC's main campus is between Government and HWY 190 just off Foster and they also have a satellite school off of Highland by I10. Maybe they have another satellite elsewhere.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Back when I was able to write homeowners insurance (pre-katrina) one of the questions on the application was about gun ownership ($ value of firearms owned). The discussions yielded some surprising answers:
    Even in S. LA very few male homeowners admit to owning guns. I'm hoping it was them lying to me to protect their firearms.
    A large percentage of women had no problem admitting to having guns in the home nor to the idea of defending the home.
    A much smaller percentage of women believed in concealed carry. The idea that people around them were armed seemed to bother them. Often it was the same women that were ready to blow someone away coming in the door.

Professional artist that sell their art work are small business owners first, artist second. That gives them a bit more conservative tilt. That being said the art department of any university is chock filled with pinko commie liberals!

Hadn't thought of it that way, we are all small business owners. You're right.

Umm, do you mind if I pick your brain about the insurance issues in a PM?

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I have to agree most people in our age group are complete idiots. Especially the ones that are in college and have never been in the real world...They get brainwashed by their professors. It's different for most of the people I know that did not go to college, but instead went straight into the military or into a job. They understand the real world. Now I'm not saying thats true for every college student obviously.
    Yeah, it's a sad truth, really. Being raised by the previous generation helped me. I was raised by my grandparents, so I got basically the same values that most of the 40 and 50 year old folks of today did, and then the military thing also helped out. And, of course, as was noted previously, there is no one size fits all mold for any particular group.
    I wrote a paper for a Persuasive Writing class about the subject, in response to an assignment that was called "Change a Campus Policy".It was turned in by the professor to the joint student-admin board who oversees such things, and while I got an e-mail saying that they'd received it... I didn't really hear anything else about it.I think the most important point you made is that people like that are never going to be open minded about the subject. It will literally take a first hand experience (perhaps their last on Earth) to show them the light, and those are fortunately quite rare. On the bright side, you never know if you managed to get through to one of your classmates-- so good on ya, for sure.As I said in a different post earlier today, whenever I speak up in a class like you did today, I typically don't encounter much (if any) resistance or debate-- regardless of the subject. Not sure what that means, really-- maybe they're more terrified of me than I suspect. I am that "creepy old guy", in the grand scheme of things... :rofl:
    I'm honestly surprised he even turned it over. Haha.People are WAY too closed minded, considering that "those" types are SUPPOSED to be the open minded group, and the "righties" are supposed to be the closed minded, uneducated, racist, bigoted jerks.
    Not to get off topic but I go to Brcc also. And I'm all for owning guns for defense and recreational purposes. I agree that we should be able to carry on campus. I'm about to turn 21 in April and would like to have my CC soon. My purpose to carry a gun is because I don't know what other people are willing to do. Unlike your teacher, People with CCW pretty much know what they are capable of after taking the class and educating themselves in the firearms field.
    Worst part is, BRCC is probably the place that one NEEDS a firearm the most. That place sucks. Can't wait to get out.
    Military makes them grow up. Your sergeants and chiefs aren't going to coddle you until you're ready to do the job. I'm back in college and have a hard time believing I was ever as careless with my future (but then I look at my GPA from my first degree and I'm like... oh, yeah).
    Yup, if you don't, you end up with a dishonorable discharge and you're lucky when you get a job flipping burgers. The kids these days need to realize that real life isn't about everyone being winners and everyone getting trophies.
    Back when I was able to write homeowners insurance (pre-katrina) one of the questions on the application was about gun ownership ($ value of firearms owned). The discussions yielded some surprising answers:Even in S. LA very few male homeowners admit to owning guns. I'm hoping it was them lying to me to protect their firearms. A large percentage of women had no problem admitting to having guns in the home nor to the idea of defending the home. A much smaller percentage of women believed in concealed carry. The idea that people around them were armed seemed to bother them. Often it was the same women that were ready to blow someone away coming in the door. Professional artist that sell their art work are small business owners first, artist second. That gives them a bit more conservative tilt. That being said the art department of any university is chock filled with pinko commie liberals!
    Doesn't surprise me, I wouldn't really want the .gov knowing my business like that.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Kind of off topic, but I'm taking Victimolgy towards my criminal justice degree at delgado westbank, and its hard to believe I'm in a college classroom some times. The squabling...people take each other so seriously and personally, like I told them " After this year I'll likely never see you again, and if I do I'll probably never recognize you, so why act so offended?" The amount of ignorance that can happen in a college classroom is astounding. The professor is clever, she stays out of it and doesn't take sides.

Last edited:

gunns1216

Conservative Christian
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Absolutely great job of sticking up for yourself and the rest of us that have a CCL. Not long ago on a Texas campus there was a campus shooting attempt thwarted by another student that had a CCL and was carrying in class. When the Shooter began to bring out his firearm the other student drew down on him before he had a chance to open fire and stopped him and since did it without fireing a shot himself. I don't know anyone with a concealed license that wants to shoot someone but if it comes down to that shooter's life or mine or the people around me. He would have had every chance to lay down his firearm before I stop it at the highest level.

gunns1216

Conservative Christian
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    To add to my post, I think people should be allowed to open carry as well. The states that have adopted an open carry law and have more people than not that do have some of the lowest crime rates. If someone is going to try and rob someone and sees 10 or even just 1 or 2 people with an iron strapped to their leg I guarantee you they are going to seriously rethink their situation.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Not all college students are stupid as you claim.

Did you say you were in a psychology class? ? ? ?

That might explain what your dealing with here. :run:

Not just psychology, social psychology at BRCC. Sounds like a prereq/gened requirement filler-type class. We may not be dealing with the brightest bulbs in the box here.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I'm kind of on the fence here, in some respects. I think faculty should almost be required to carry And have training courses every semester. For students... I'm 25, I did the army route first, and the kids just now turning 21 in my classes are 60% retarded and 30% party hoppers. None of which I'd trust with a hot weapon away from the supervision of a range. 10% or so (mostly girls) i'd be very confident in their ability to carry responsibly and respond to threats appropriately.
    Personally I think extra training and/or military experience should be required for students to carry on campus. Call me a statist but that's just what I believe.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Not all college students are stupid as you claim.Did you say you were in a psychology class? ? ? ?That might explain what your dealing with here. :run:
    I'm sure it has a lot to do with it, but at the same time, I'm sure if the topic had come up in the same manner in some of the other classes, it would have likely ended up in the same manner, 1 maybe 2 students fighting FOR 2A, and the rest fighting against it, then whining about their right to free speech.
    Absolutely great job of sticking up for yourself and the rest of us that have a CCL. Not long ago on a Texas campus there was a campus shooting attempt thwarted by another student that had a CCL and was carrying in class. When the Shooter began to bring out his firearm the other student drew down on him before he had a chance to open fire and stopped him and since did it without fireing a shot himself. I don't know anyone with a concealed license that wants to shoot someone but if it comes down to that shooter's life or mine or the people around me. He would have had every chance to lay down his firearm before I stop it at the highest level.
    Isn't BRCC the place where this happened?http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329908,00.htmlMight explain the teacher's attitude.
    That may explain the teacher's attitude, but if I was the teacher, I'd want to be the teacher in the classroom in Tejas. Seriously, if that occurred in my classroom(if I were a teacher), even if I was previously anti-gun, I think I'd be open minded enough to realize that I'd want to have a gun myself or a couple students having them in order to stop the treat. I mean, would the girl have had enough time to do all the damage she did had 3 or 4 other people in the classroom drawn on her?
    Not just psychology, social psychology at BRCC. Sounds like a prereq/gened requirement filler-type class. We may not be dealing with the brightest bulbs in the box here.
    Well, yes and no. I'm studying criminology, and psychology is part of my actual curriculum.
    Someone needs to be the light to guide the others.
    The problem with me being the light is that it would involve me associating with "those" people. LOL

I'm kind of on the fence here, in some respects. I think faculty should almost be required to carry And have training courses every semester. For students... I'm 25, I did the army route first, and the kids just now turning 21 in my classes are 60% retarded and 30% party hoppers. None of which I'd trust with a hot weapon away from the supervision of a range. 10% or so (mostly girls) i'd be very confident in their ability to carry responsibly and respond to threats appropriately.
    Personally I think extra training and/or military experience should be required for students to carry on campus. Call me a statist but that's just what I believe.

OK, so say that 10% is carrying legally, along with yourself, the fact that CC is even legal on college campus would probably deter many illegal carriers from acting, anyway. I mean, I have yet to hear about a shooting on a college campus in Utah in recent years, and carry is 100% legal on state university campuses in UT.

Last edited:

Joshlala

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Not all college students are stupid as you claim.

Did you say you were in a psychology class? ? ? ?

That might explain what your dealing with here. :run:

I have to agree with this, I am in my last two semesters of Electrical Engineering and I can tell you with no doubt if that discussion came up in one of my classes you would have probably seen the exact opposite response.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I have to agree with this, I am in my last two semesters of Electrical Engineering and I can tell you with no doubt if that discussion came up in one of my classes you would have probably seen the exact opposite response.

Exactly.

Folks who are nearing graduation in a challenging field of study are completely different than your 1st and 2nd year bachelor of arts students.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I think faculty should almost be required to carry And have training courses every semester.

:eek3:

I know this goes back to the "if they want to get a gun and kill you , they will either way" arguement, but putting a gun in their hands as policy means putting them in the hands of people who would not associate themselves with guns for possibly the right reasons. Some of my teachers had a few screws loose.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Louisiana Technical College. Second sentence of the article.

Not to say it didn't influence him still.
    That's the school I took my EMT calsses at and where I went to the Job fair at. I don't know why I thought BRCC. I blame my recent illness.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom