I want to go to Montana (or Idaho, Wyoming...)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'd love to make a road trip to Montana or surrounding states sometime in late August or September. Never been there. I'd be traveling by myself and on a budget.

Thinking of doing some hiking, and hoping to fly fish a bit without spending a ton on a high end resort. Same with hunting. If I could get in a day or two with a local guide, I'd be thrilled. Not looking for a trophy hunt, just some time out there.

I just don't know where to start and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I believe you have to apply for hunting lottery by January. So it's too late. That's what I understood it to be when I looked for Wyoming.

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Yellowstone Nat'l Park can satisfy all of your desires with the exception of hunting. It's really an amazing place to visit.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    We was in West Yellowstone in August once and it was quite cold, we had to buy sweatshirts and jackets. Prepare if you go up that way. Once you get there you will wish you could stay.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    If you go thru Colorado, you can buy over the counter out of state hunting license and elk/deer tags for certain units[not statewide] Same goes for fishing. If you are just sightseeing, anywhere north and west of Northern New Mexico and you never want to come back here. We[ my better half and myself] go to the Great North West every 2-3 years and the trip home is the hardest.
    Late Sept, early Oct are the best times to avoid crowds and the weather is great. You can catch some snowstorms in the higher elevations starting the middle of Sept, But the highway depts are real good about keeping the roads passable.

Last edited:

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    A hunting guide is not what I would consider low budget, but that's just me. There is a ton of BLM land and National Forest lands that you can hunt on free, and no need of a guide. This is something that you will probably want to put some time into planning out. If just hiking and fishing, then less planning would be needed. Throw a hunt into the mix and there are a lot of things you need to do different. Things like care of the meat if you kill something, getting the animal out of the woods/prairie, getting it cooled and wrapped to make it home, etc. Most of that area out there is not where you can park along side of the road and walk a short distance and hunt. It involves a lot of walking. I've hunted out there several times, and it took a great deal of planning to have an enjoyable time. Time well spent though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom