IDPA Club Starting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Thanks I wanted to make sure.
    I love the idea of a defensive pistol match but why change the way I carry for it? At the moment I don't carry a dot on my pistol but let's face it more and more people are adding them to carry guns so I feel they should update the rules. I also think they should allow filling stock mags up and split the divisions up by the gun size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Thanks I wanted to make sure.
    I love the idea of a defensive pistol match but why change the way I carry for it? At the moment I don't carry a dot on my pistol but let's face it more and more people are adding them to carry guns so I feel they should update the rules. I also think they should allow filling stock mags up and split the divisions up by the gun size.

Not starting with a full magazine goes against the grain.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. I don't agree with all the rules but have to abide by them if I want to play. The best thing to do is join whatever organization you want to play in, become active and change the rules from within. Part of the reason for this rule is for the guys that live in a state that only allow 10 rounds in the gun. They are trying to keep everyone on a level playing.

Beauxdog

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. I don't agree with all the rules but have to abide by them if I want to play. The best thing to do is join whatever organization you want to play in, become active and change the rules from within. Part of the reason for this rule is for the guys that live in a state that only allow 10 rounds in the gun. They are trying to keep everyone on a level playing.

Beauxdog

I think the guys in the states that don't allow more then 10 rds in the guns should start making better choices when they vote.

But really how hard would it be to add a division for people to shoot what and how they carry every day?
    Can a local club add an "outlaw" division and just not count those scores with the IDPA scores? It may get more $20.00 bills in the club account for buying props and targets keeping the club going longer.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Another IDPA rule that the USPSA guys are not used to is that you cannot drop a mag that still has rounds in it. You have to keep it with you. Plus I believe that you can only have 3 mags on your person at a time.

The first match I ever shot was an IDPA match out at Tangi with LSP972.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How would the NFL work out if folks just added and deleted the rules they didn't like? Really folks, get with the program. Rules are there for a reason. If you don't like the rules either work to change them or don't play. It's simple. Why must you change the rules before playing the game. Is it becasue you think it's better for you or the game?

Beauxdog

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    How would the NFL work out if folks just added and deleted the rules they didn't like? Really folks, get with the program. Rules are there for a reason. If you don't like the rules either work to change them or don't play. It's simple. Why must you change the rules before playing the game. Is it becasue you think it's better for you or the game?

Beauxdog

Why promote something as defensive pistol shooting then tell me not to shoot the way I carry my defensive pistol? If you tell everyone that doesn't like the rules to work to change them or don't play the sport will suffer. This is a discussion forum and we are talking about what we like and don't like about the sport what's wrong with that?

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Hey Guys,

They want to start an IDPA club & shoot by those rules. Not a lets shoot what ever makes Joe happy today match. All I said was either play by the rules or go some where else. Isn't that part of the discussion.

Beauxdog

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    Hey Guys,

They want to start an IDPA club & shoot by those rules. Not a lets shoot what ever makes Joe happy today match. All I said was either play by the rules or go some where else. Isn't that part of the discussion.

Beauxdog

I agree. It will be a long road getting a new club off the ground. Lets give them all the help we can.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Hey Guys,

Beauxdog

I got it the 1st time and I'm gonna go with "play by the rules" "go home" or "keep talking about it" lol.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If the guys that are gonna run the club can answer this for me.
    Is it possible for a "outlaw" division to be added to the match that allows for a person to load mags up and use Optics if enough people willing to sign up for that division?

Edit to add: And allows for dropping a loaded mag.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I'm not an IDPA guy but I know for a fact that a sanctioning body like USPSA would never allow something like this (an "outlaw" division) as part of an official match, and can't imagine IDPA would either. Now in the past we've seen man-on-man shotgun competition, a rifle stage or two, etc. AFTER the official match is complete as a completely separate competition. Kinda miss that from a few years back but then I've been shooting flying orange things and feathered beasties recently instead. Thinking it might be fun to check out this match, though, and if so, I'm happy to play by the rules, 'cause that's what makes it a game.

EDITED TO ADD: Hey organizers, correct your dates, May 21 is still a Wednesday, not a Saturday on my calendar.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'm not an IDPA guy but I know for a fact that a sanctioning body like USPSA would never allow something like this (an "outlaw" division) as part of an official match, and can't imagine IDPA would either. Now in the past we've seen man-on-man shotgun competition, a rifle stage or two, etc. AFTER the official match is complete as a completely separate competition. Kinda miss that from a few years back but then I've been shooting flying orange things and feathered beasties recently instead. Thinking it might be fun to check out this match, though, and if so, I'm happy to play by the rules, 'cause that's what makes it a game.

EDITED TO ADD: Hey organizers, correct your dates, May 21 is still a Wednesday, not a Saturday on my calendar.

I can understand that. Best of luck to this club getting started. I will keep an eye on the IDPA website for any changes that suggest that we can shoot what/how we carry everyday.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I can understand that. Best of luck to this club getting started. I will keep an eye on the IDPA website for any changes that suggest that we can shoot what/how we carry everyday.

You know, a possible option for you for with your preferred self-defense setup with a dot would be shooting Open division USPSA just for trigger time and not worrying about being competitive with the Open blasters with big stick mags. As long as you follow safety rules (and at the discretion of the match director regarding holsters—and remember USPA has no rule forbidding IWB but a floppy snap-on that pulls out at the draw would probably raise official eyebrows, and appropriately) you get to run and gun to your heart's content. I've seen some SWAT guys from N.O. come to a three gun match and drop to their knees to reload, just like they trained. No problem as long done safely…in USPSA we still call it "freestyle" don't we ;) .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom