If You Are On Your Neighborhood HOA, This Would Be Hard To Ignore.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Excellent question. How far can private security go with gear vs the police? Lights on cars, what authority do they have? I have no problem stopping and talking to a police officer. A security guard, on a public street, I don't know about that.

Many private security companies have as good or better training than local law enforcement.

As for the lights, it's funny because my company used blue lights when I was there.
    Police used red/white exclusively.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Many private security companies have as good or better training than local law enforcement.

As for the lights, it's funny because my company used blue lights when I was there.
    Police used red/white exclusively.

I am not questioning their training, just my rights if dealing with them vs the police. How would a citizen know if they are dealing with the security, or the police? Can they legally detain you on public property?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I am not questioning their training, just my rights if dealing with them vs the police. How would a citizen know if they are dealing with the security, or the police? Can they legally detain you on public property?

I thought it had to be private property.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I thought it had to be private property.

That is my question, what if I visit a resident that has private security, and leave their house, and look suspicious to the private security. The roads would be public right? Honestly, just asking.

And, how would you know if you are dealing with an armed private person, vs the police?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    That is my question, what if I visit a resident that has private security, and leave their house, and look suspicious to the private security. The roads would be public right? Honestly, just asking.

And, how would you know if you are dealing with an armed private person, vs the police?

The streets in my neighborhood are all private, not public so I just assumed that was the case with this video. I'm not sure I understand your second question.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Doesn't have to be gated to be private. An some of these security guards might be commissioned by the local sheriff, which gives them arrest powers. And to figure out if he is a LEO or private security, I guess you could ask him.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    The streets in my neighborhood are all private, not public so I just assumed that was the case with this video. I'm not sure I understand your second question.

OK, I am leaving your house, and raise the suspicion of the security people. I see flashing lights, I pull over, is it a cop, or a security person? And I would think my rights would vary vastly between the two. Do I have to pull over for a security person, if I am peacefully and safely leaving the private area? How do I know who is the law and who is the local security? The cars and uniforms looked like police officers in the video.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Doesn't have to be gated to be private. An some of these security guards might be commissioned by the local sheriff, which gives them arrest powers. And to figure out if he is a LEO or private security, I guess you could ask him.

I can see that going badly. Nobody lies right? We are talking armed security, and possibly an armed person legally leaving the area... Again, just asking.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I'll respond in the morning, just wrote a long response on my cell and lost it...frustrating, I'll respond tomorrow when I get to my computer.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

Unless they witness you committing a crime on public property no.
    Now that was then, I don't know about now.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    OK, I am leaving your house, and raise the suspicion of the security people. I see flashing lights, I pull over, is it a cop, or a security person?

If would be a Private Security Agent who was hired to protect the private property.

And I would think my rights would vary vastly between the two.

I wouldn't think so, in fact, imo, I'd say your Rights would be more intact dealing with the Private Agent.

Do I have to pull over for a security person, if I am peacefully and safely leaving the private area?

Yes, you would have to pull over. Or, you could just ignore them, and they would follow you until the gov't police caught up to you, pulled you over, shot your dog, and hauled you off to jail.

I keed I keed, but you get the point. You could run and wait for the gov't police to get involved as well, but then this opens you up to more problems.

How do I know who is the law and who is the local security? The cars and uniforms looked like police officers in the video.

I would assume that if you were my friend, and you frequented my house, you would know that our neighborhood has private security forces, and you would know the difference b/t them and gov't police. But let's say you are just looking around at houses on the market. You stop, get out of your car and walk up to one of the foreclosed house. A private security officer gets a call of a suspicious person and is concerned b/c this vacant house has been broken into recently. The officer gets out, identifies himself, asks a couple of questions and leaves. OR let's say the worst happens. They get out, slam you to the ground, beat on you a little, taser you, and shoot your dog. You sue them and with great likely-hood win. You sue the HOA who purchased their services, and probably win as well. The private company is dropped by the HOA, and probably sued by them as well, goes out of business, and another firm, who's more concerned about providing peaceful protection signs a contract with the HOA.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I can see that going badly. Nobody lies right? We are talking armed security, and possibly an armed person legally leaving the area... Again, just asking.

Nobody lies, not even the gov't police. Right? Let's realize here that armed persons legally leave areas EVERY day, and EVERY day are met with armed security, whether it govt security or private security. It's not like the wheel is being reinvented here. Having to deal with armed security and armed citizens is nothing new.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    An armed or unarmed security officer can make a citizens arrest for a felony he witnesses, just like everybody else. If you own property and find someone walking around on your property, you or your designee have the right to ask them what they are doing on your property. An armed security guard would be the designee of the housing association so they can ask you what you are doing on private property.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Is trespassing a felony or a misdemeanor?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah...reading laws from a phone while walking doesn't work too well Haha.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom