I'm a 19y/o carrying an H&K P30 in my truck on a college campus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I asked for help with laws, not gratuitous interrogation calling my maturity or combat readiness into question. I was naive in thinking I wouldn't get any of this. Oh well. Thanks to everyone giving actual responses.

He never called your maturity in question. He said he didn't know you from Adam and therefore didn't know if you were a hot head kid or not. This might impact the advice he may give. Your response appears impulsive which may validate his concern.

While our friend, Marty Robbins, might lack people skills, he knows a little when it comes to gun stuff. You might learn something from him.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    No he won't. He just told the closest thing to Rambo he'll ever see to go straight to hell. You expect him to stow the attitude and Learn something?

It natural for a young man to strut a little like a rooster..... It's natural for all men to do it. Even VG is somewhat dispositioned to do it. What matters is if you can learn from it.

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    He never called your maturity in question. He said he didn't know you from Adam and therefore didn't know if you were a hot head kid or not. This might impact the advice he may give. Your response appears impulsive which may validate his concern.

While our friend, Marty Robbins, might lack people skills, he knows a little when it comes to gun stuff. You might learn something from him.

You raise a valid point. Rough day at work so I'm just having one of those days. Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't mean to come off as an ass, and for that, I apologize. I just wanted to stick up for myself and got a bit too aggressive.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Its ironic, by being hyper defensive when you wrongly thought someone was calling out your maturity, you showed your maturity.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not sure I'd call my defense "hyper." I feel like I defended myself in a professional way. I associate "hyper defensive" with name-calling, boorish insults, and the like.

While you refrained from name calling, I wouldn't call a sarcastic response "professional."

I do think having the humility to admit you were wrong is a good thing.

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    While you refrained from name calling, I wouldn't call a sarcastic response "professional."

I do think having the humility to admit you were wrong is a good thing.

I didn't know I came off as sarcastic. I'm sorry for that. I was just trying to address the issues and make it known that I am mature and that the gun is easily accessible should I need to deploy it, and then I tried to redirect the posts towards my original topic. I know I've already made a bad impression on you guys, so I won't continue trying to justify my childish rant. Once again, I give my sincerest apologies. I've calmed down.

Now back to my topic, is there any law(s) that I should add to my sheet or do I have everything just about covered?

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    The laws and university policies concerning carrying/transporting on campus, suck for lack of a better term. Between college, grad school and now working at a university I have been dealing with this for years. You've done some research, better than most students would do- and now you have to find a practical way of working and staying safe within the given system. Good luck, and nice pick with the P30...

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I didn't know I came off as sarcastic. I'm sorry for that. I was just trying to address the issues and make it known that I am mature and that the gun is easily accessible should I need to deploy it, and then I tried to redirect the posts towards my original topic. I know I've already made a bad impression on you guys, so I won't continue trying to justify my childish rant. Once again, I give my sincerest apologies. I've calmed down.

Now back to my topic, is there any law(s) that I should add to my sheet or do I have everything just about covered?

You probably have it covered.... At least to the point that if the officer isn't convinced, he is not going to be and he is going to arrest you. You might as well keep your cool and let the court sort it out (provided that someone else above the officer doesn't step in).

You should do a lot of studying on using guns for self defense. Shooting someone right, wrong, indifferent can ruin you no matter how right you think you are (even if you are completely right!). The only reason to do it is that it's better than being dead. Having a gun means living a life of de-escalation and turning the other cheek. It means being polite when an ******* cuts you off. It means, you don't get to flip anyone the bird. Your actions have consequences even if you thought you were doing the right thing.

In addition, get training. Nobody is good enough when their life is on the line.

Finally, if you are going to keep a gun in your truck, nobody needs to know. Your buddies, girl, whoever nobody needs that info.

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    if the officer isn't convinced, he is not going to be and he is going to arrest you.

You're right. Looks like I'm finished with the sheet.

You should do a lot of studying on using guns for self defense. In addition, get training. Nobody is good enough when their life is on the line.

Doing my best to. My uncle is the Firearms Instructor at Camp Beauregard in Alexandria for the National Guard and he's been giving my all kinds of tips. I'm also taking some Defensive Pistol Training classes at Precision in Baton Rouge. No training is too much training. I will continue to take classes as long as my "college student funds" permit :biglaugh:

Thanks for the advice. :cheers:

What book are you reading?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    You're right. Looks like I'm finished with the sheet.

Doing my best to. My uncle is the Firearms Instructor at Camp Beauregard in Alexandria for the National Guard and he's been giving my all kinds of tips. I'm also taking some Defensive Pistol Training classes at Precision in Baton Rouge. No training is too much training. I will continue to take classes as long as my "college student funds" permit :biglaugh:

Thanks for the advice. :cheers:

What book are you reading?

The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper. First of "The Leather Stocking Tales."

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Just out of curiosity, if you are worried about bad cops taking your gun or taking you to jail do you honestly think he is going to let you hand him a paper with the laws in it and then take the time to read it? Have you personally had an experience with a bad cop takin.g your gun? If your window tint is so dark that the bad guys cannt see in your vehicle then I hope you have a letter from the state exempting you from the tint law. If you don't have one then that is going to get you stopped by the bad cop quicker than if your vehicle did not stick out.

Last edited:

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    Just out of curiosity, if you are worried about bad cops taking your gun or taking you to jail do you honestly think he is going to let you hand him a paper with the laws in it and then take the time to read it? Have you personally had an experience with a bad cop takin.g your gun? If your window tint is so dark that the bad guys cannt see in your vehicle then I hope you have a letter from the state exempting you from the tint law. If you don't have one then that is going to get you stopped by the bad cop quicker than if your vehicle did not stick out.

I have a tint exemption. And you're absolutely correct. It's just something I'd like to have for more peace of mind. You never know, a cop that isn't sure may see the paper and let me off. A cop could look at it, laugh, crumple it up, and throw me in the back of the unit. You never know. It's worth a try though, I believe.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Am I the only one here wondering what's he doing with a P30?!? When I was in school all I could afford was name calling and a black eye. I had to save up to get a Buck pocket knife. Wise choice though, as long as you don't mind people drooling on it. Good luck with your research, I agree with what was mentioned, the LEO is prolly gonna look at you crazy and crumple it up and throw it in the truck with all the natty lite cans. :rockon:

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    Am I the only one here wondering what's he doing with a P30?!?
    :mamoru:

Used the majority of my graduation money on it. I got a GREAT deal. It's a great gun, I highly recommend if you don't have one. At least shoot one if you can. If you're in Lafayette/BR and wanna meet at a range (Sherburne preferably), I'd be glad to come and let you shoot it.

In regards to crumpling it up, that's very likely, but it doesn't mean it's not worth a shot to defend my rights :cheers:

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the sheet never needs to come out of glovebox.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I am confused. Under what hypothetical situation are you going to be teaching a bad cop gun laws on the side of the road? Are you going to tell ever cop that pulls you over that you have a gun? Why? It's not his business and if he has cause to search your truck you have bigger problems.

Top Bottom