Impressed at Sherburne this past Saturday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    Mods, please forgive me if you feel this belongs in another section. I'm posting here in hopes of the high traffic providing some results. . .

My brother-in-law, a buddy, and myself went shoot at Sherburne this past Saturday, Jan. 4th. While on the pistol range, a load of cars with young kids showed up all at one time. I will confess, when I saw all the kids, my first reaction was apprehension. I had a very bad experience over there with an unsupervised kid running down range while I was looking through a scope, not fun. Anyway, we were on a far end of the firing line, and the kids and their folks lined up next to us down through the middle of the range. Within the first 20-30 minutes of shooting, I had to stop and watch for a bit. Kudos to the parents!!!!! I was VERY impressed with how these children handled themselves! It made me proud to be there with such respectful, mindful kids (and parents)! The shooting world definitely has a bright future!

The kids (boys and girls) ranged from about 4/5 years old to early teens, about ten kids total. They were mostly shooting bolt action .22s with the odd 10/22 and SW MP22.

Now, I have two boys, the oldest is five. I would like to get him into shooting more than his BB gun and this just seemed like something I would personally enjoy getting involved in! Do any of you know of a youth group for shooting around Lafayette? Something where the kids can bond while focusing on firearm safety and respect? I intend to get my boys into scouting in the next couple of years, but shooting, amongst their peers like I saw on Saturday, seems to me to be a great weekend hobby for us to do together. I appreciate any input or advice you may have! Hindsight is always 20/20, but I definitely should have spoken to the parents while out there.

Also, if any of you, by the off chance, may be part of the group that was there, I would welcome the oppurtunity to speak with you and possibly get involved! Thanks!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom