Improving my 1911 Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jesse

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Mandeville
    I've got a Springfield Mil-Spec that I'd like to make a better shooter. I've never had any custom work done to any guns, so I don't really know where to start. I'd like to improve the trigger, and maybe put a skeleton hammer on it. What else could/should I do? What's a good place to start? How much am I looking at, and who is best to do this type of work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It will just depend on the quality of parts that you want to put in and if they are drop in conversions or have to be fitted, I recomend looking into Wilson combat for upgrades, also if you decide to do sights upgrade I want to say your GI SA has pinned sights not dovetailed so your slide would have to be refinish to prevent rust in the future once they cut the dovetails. I would also improove the guide rod, add a magwell, maybe even add a bigger mag release as well as a high rise beavertail, ambi safety is also nice for a left hand shooter. My gunsmith specializes in 1911's but he is around Lafayette area so not sure how far that is from you, if you are interested in his number or have questions you can pm me, good luck with ur protect

J

jayd

Depends on how much you want to spend ;)

items such as these will help
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=226359
    226359.jpg

Maybe add a trigger that fits you better, sights, bushing.....

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Go to Barnes and Noble and buy, "The Gun Digest Book of the 1911". Best $20.00 bucks you'll spend prior to spending serious bucks. Can definately lead you in the direction of what you can do yourself, and what you will need a smith to do for you.

After that, contact Brownell's for a free catalog and have at it.

Look out though, 1911's are like pleasure boats. Can get expensive fast. :)

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    the Nowlin trigger group jayd listed above is good stuff, but if you want ,in my opinion, the best kit available, check out the Brazos http://www.1911store.com/tunedtriggergroupbcg-proseries.aspx
    A better trigger will make the new action even feel better http://www.1911store.com/1911triggersti-aluminumshoe.aspx
    These parts should require little or no fitting except for the thumb safety. The one you have may or may not work with a new sear. It's always a good idea to fit a new thumb safety when changing sears. This would be the time to spring for an extended or ambi safety. A beaver-tail grip safety will require machining of the frame but the higher grip that they provide makes it well worth it.

Top Bottom