INCREDIBLE Vintage find!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Colt wound up selling a few different versions of the AR prior to the ban that I was able to take advantage of. Different barrels and such. I remember when the first flat tops hit the market. Dang those things looked odd at the time. Eventually other manufacturers joined in and you could buy AR 15 parts and rifles with different logos. The Eagle arms lowers I have are the last of the prebans I bought. Olympic Arms made some nice stuff too. But if you didn't mind a little spray paint and some battle scuffs, the stripped down parts kit mil surp rifles were the way to go. I must have wound up with a couple dozen canvas wrapped cleaning kits. That's what fits in the old fixed stock rifle butts in case you guys didn't know, lol. And the brown wrapped 20 and 30 round mags at Sinclares army surplus in Central could be had for $2.50 and $6 respectively.
    Dang if the AR ain't the most fun gun on the planet.
    I have a very early Sporter Right before Ban Colt did some voluntary stuff back then so that they might not get banned {well hoped}
    I have a H-bar Sporter with Colt Wing nutted 4x20 Still a very nice gun. both Have Chrome barrels marked 5.56. And a SP1 with wing nutted 3x20 no forward assit unmolesed but put away the BCG

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This may be to many pictures but wanted to show the upper scope and factory caps

Attachments

• SP1-1.jpg
      SP1-1.jpg
      240.3 KB · Views: 95
    • SP1-2.jpg
      SP1-2.jpg
      224.5 KB · Views: 97
    • SP1-3.jpg
      SP1-3.jpg
      242.8 KB · Views: 88
    • SP1-4.jpg
      SP1-4.jpg
      244.2 KB · Views: 92
    • SP1-5.jpg
      SP1-5.jpg
      230.9 KB · Views: 91

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Colt-1.jpgColt-2.jpgWhat did Colt tell ya year on ya lower? It is a free easy fast call. My new Sporter and 4x20

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry JR1572 I didn't get a chance to pull her back out of the safe last night... I will try and get those marks tonight.

There's a really good resource for determining the year (I haven't called yet), online at https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/SP1SN.html
    I'm thinking my lower was made in '64... SP00101 was the beginning of '64, and then SP02591 started in '65. I know its a early one not only from the serial number, but early SP1s were marked "Colt's Patent Firearms", later SP1s were marked "Colt's Firearms Division".

I did look it up on Colt's website serial number search... http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup
    It says it's a 1964 AR-15 SPORTER.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Sorry JR1572 I didn't get a chance to pull her back out of the safe last night... I will try and get those marks tonight.

There's a really good resource for determining the year (I haven't called yet), online at https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/SP1SN.html
    I'm thinking my lower was made in '64... SP00101 was the beginning of '64, and then SP02591 started in '65. I know its a early one not only from the serial number, but early SP1s were marked "Colt's Patent Firearms", later SP1s were marked "Colt's Firearms Division".

I did look it up on Colt's website serial number search... http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup
    It says it's a 1964 AR-15 SPORTER.

Cool.

I have another site for you. I'll post it up after while when I get where I'm going.

JR1572

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    http://biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html

It's an old page but it still has relevant info.

JR1572

Thanks for the link! Has some GREAT info!

After a little more research (thanks JR1572), I found out that the flush screw in place of the forward pivot pin allows you to use a milspec (.250) small pin upper on a large hole (.315) SP1 type lower... so I'm guessing that's to support the use of the M16A1 upper. I'm not sure when they changed the forward pivot pin hole size on the lowers.

The upper is probably a few years younger, like 1967-ish (no shell deflector).

The NODAK SPUD triangular charging handle style isn't correct for the year... it would have been the more common charging handle, just "grey". Also means that the Edgewater Buffer wouldn't be correct also... it would be the more common rifle buffer (R6600 HBAR buffer)... though, the buffer tube would have been the one with no wrench flats.

It also has the original Bolt carrier (stamped "C") and , however, the original bolt has been replaced (not the chromed one, but still a COLT marked MPC) and it doesn't have the flat firing pin retainer.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Just as a bonus... here's my build of a replica XM177 Carbine... not a SP1 or anything vintage... ALL brand new parts actually. I slowly distressed it myself over a month. It's my "truck gun"... one I can beat to hell and not feel bad about it.

She's a shooter.

17cf4cb46875247ef430873d2eb3ed9e.jpg

9fdf947aae46145c9f270b88241aaff4.jpg

I've gotten more questions and comments about this rifle than any others. I had a matching distressed ACOG on it, which actually generated even more questions... like "What truck in Afghanistan did that thing fall off of?" and "That looks like one I was issued when I was in." (before I took the bird cage off).

The lower is actually Aero Precisions "Ghost Gun" receiver... the safety says "[D]" for safe, ".30 Caliber Clip" for semi-auto, and "Half Sec." for full auto.

Replica colt scope (china)
    Replica bushmaster polymer XM177 stock (made in the 80s I believe)
    Vintage pistol grip (Vietnam era)
    Vintage M1 sling
    Brownells 20 round Magazine

Other than those parts, everything on it is/was new.

Last edited:

Gmac

Hermit
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    The Bush
    preban AR's

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in this vintage Colt rifle. I don't know if there are any serious collectors among this group. But if any one has interest in a collection of preban blue
    label Colt rifles, I know of one for sale. Six rifles , in four calibers, all unfired. He has an offer from out of state on the collection. I saw this thread and told him I would ask if there was
    any interest locally.
    If interested PM me.

GMac

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have to take more pictures... Added an SP1 buffer, buffer tube and spring... also a Colt SP1 BCG and SP1 Charging Handle. So now I have a complete SP1 lower (serial number in the upper 100's) and a complete early M16A1 upper, authentic Bayonet and UNISSUED (still in pastic and paper wrapper) Colt bipod.

What I still need...

Screw for stock with no hole (early model)
    Original SP1 Bolt (Chrome)

Top Bottom