Indy car race

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Was there for the SCCA Regionals last month crewing for my BIL. First time being there and was impressed with the size of the thing. Makes No Problem looks like childs play. Bring some binocs so you can see the back better.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    RE: NPR
    I know the new guy has been making improvements on the road course. I know the guy that is running the Drag Strip. I wish them well.

RE: NOLA
    I don't particularly like the track layout and the lack of elevation changes. But then again it was built with safety in mind as opposed to some of the older tracks that have some pretty nasty situations. Some of the elevation changes at older tracks were scary. Road Atlanta old circuit - there is a reason it was changed!

I also have never seen the big track with grandstands up. For the World Final karting event they had massive logistics and it was a success. Bikes are cool to see on both tracks there also.

It should be good.

The corners workers are the 'unsung' real heroes of racing at any track. Those guys are the biggest race fans there are. Their dedication is astounding.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Well, its the best thing we have locally for sure. Atlanta and TWS were the closest places to go. Haven't been to Barber so cannot comment. Elevation?? Ever been to Hallet?? That crap is scary! Probably why the real fast guys no longer go there LOL. Anyway, yeah it should be good but am not able to make it.. Amen on the corner workers. They are the ones that make it happen and look out for the safety of the drivers, especially in passing situations!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Well, its the best thing we have locally for sure. Atlanta and TWS were the closest places to go. Haven't been to Barber so cannot comment. Elevation?? Ever been to Hallet?? That crap is scary! Probably why the real fast guys no longer go there LOL. Anyway, yeah it should be good but am not able to make it.. Amen on the corner workers. They are the ones that make it happen and look out for the safety of the drivers, especially in passing situations!

The Kart track is one of the better ones in the US and even the world. It is highly configurable, which is the best feature of it.

I know of Hallet, but have never been.

Barber is high end. Which is good and a little bad. Talladega road course is supposed to be great, somewhat because of the people.

What does your BIL run?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    RDO BIL is running a SCCA American Sedan Mustang. This class was created in the early 90s and we built it to the then spec in l991-3. It was in a class with Camaros and Firebirds and was intended to be like the old Trans Am series of the late 60s and early 70s. Had to be all factory stuff except for a spec holley intake and carb and was also intended to be a not too expensive form of racing. It being a Ford we tried to get all the SVO stuff we could find. It sat after Katrina till around 2012 when BIL was able to start thinking about road racing after getting his life/house/etc. rebuilt after the damn storm. The car needs some updating to be competitive as the rules have lightened up a bit (meaning allowing high dollar stuff) since it was built....I'll see if I can find some pics of it..I think the next event will be at TWS in May..Might also be one of the last races there as it is going to be shut down sometime this year IIRC.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yeah price of racing is never cheap and it only goes up. Then each class has it's problems.

As far as NOLA and other new track the all look like keys to me. But I understand why.

Not having to travel helps with the cost, even as a spectator.

I don't plan on making the Indy car event. I will be working somewhere, Work / Home / Garage. I was invited to a friends tailgate type of party. I honestly don't want to spend the money on it. Plus I haven' followed Indy in years. I tend to like the lower series for the most part.

Good places to eat near the track
    Not a bad little place to eat:
    http://westbankgrill.com/menu

Also the TPC is good too

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Not going either. Just got back from Spring Break with my wife and kids and would rather save the cashola myself. Also, I'm not a real fan of open wheel cars. Love seeing prototype cars and GTs though. When we had the races in the city I loved the IMSA cars. Ah well, hope the folks get to see some decent racing rain or not. Heard as of yesterday only about 30-35% of seats sold.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    NOLA does not handle their advertisement the way I would. But in the case of this Indy race it may be some other group in charge of that. I will probably be close and hear it.

I remember the races here. One thing I regret was not going and meet Walter Payton when he was here. He was racing an S2 at the time. I did meet a lot of other guys though and it was a great time.

I like various cars and I don't have any absolutes, but I tend to like purpose built race cars.

CharleyR1

Nitrous is fun
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Metairie, Louisiana
    We went today and saw practice, heading to the motogp race now. I agree, I race bikes at both nola and barber. After you race on barber it makes nola look all to flat. But I cant run to barber every weekend either. Hopefully the upgrades to npr include re-surfacing the track. I stopped going there along time ago. Track eats tires like you have a sponsorship with hoosier.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    We went today and saw practice, heading to the motogp race now. I agree, I race bikes at both nola and barber. After you race on barber it makes nola look all to flat. But I cant run to barber every weekend either. Hopefully the upgrades to npr include re-surfacing the track. I stopped going there along time ago. Track eats tires like you have a sponsorship with hoosier.

I am now going meet a friend on Sunday. Said friend quit racing at NPR due to track surface. I had heard they resurfaced it, but not sure if that is accurate.

Boss,
    There was a series of Ford vs Chevy that was at NOLA. Those guys raced hard. Constantly.
    Here:
    http://camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Friend in his BMW:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_Nhr4Ba1w

Having a good day @ Barber:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM6XOU_CfYc
    You can see him thanking the corner workers at the end.

Last edited:

CharleyR1

Nitrous is fun
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Metairie, Louisiana
    Cool vids! I hope so for their sake. I'll put it like this. Npr wasted away 4-5 sets of tires a day. Nola Motorsports and barber will make a set of tires last an entire weekend. Not to mention npr had pot holes especially in the first turn. When going through a that turn at 130+ and you hit one, it's not exactly a great time. The drag strip is very nice though. Only reason that I will go there now.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    CharleyR1,
    Is this you?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROko2ez65pM

Get with me you get back, this week will be rough. I live about 4 miles from NOLA.

The BMW driver was a bike racer in the past. Yeah he said too many rocks thrown up in a car. And no thank you on the potholes @ 130 as much fun as it sounds. The worst turn @ NOLA is when you turn in off of Nicole coming from Lapalco. The pavement is pretty bad there! There is spot on the kart track that is less than pleasant, but the guys running the kart side of things are in it to win it. They are good guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom