information on Smith and Wesson Revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Moss Bluff
    028.JPG029.JPGI have a friend with 2 Smith & Wesson revolvers both are stamped 38 S&W special on the barrel. I dont see anything else but patent #s. 1 looks to have a 4 inch barrel and the other a 5. looking to find out about what they might be worth and being stamped 38 S&W special does it shhot 38 special or 38 S&W not sure I know the difference if there is any but i have heard of a 38S&W cartridge.
    Thanks for any and all comments and help.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think the .38 SW Special was the original cartridge with has a slightly different diameter and shorter then what we now know of as .38 special. But I may be thinking of the .38 SW, and the .38 SW Special may be the exact same thing as .38 special. If it is I still wouldn't shoot and +P in those. And if they don't have models it may be before Smith started using model numbers.
    Paging Adam!

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    38 S&W is a different cartridge than 38 S&W Special. 38 S&W is shorter and a slightly larger caliber than 38 S&W Special. Back in the day Colt wouldn't put S&W on ANY of their weapons. So the 38 S&W became the 38 Colt New Police and 38 S&W Special became 38 Special. Effectually the name became 38 special to everyone including S&W. Dropping the S&W from the 38 Special moniker also reduced confusion.

Dave

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    38 S&W is a different cartridge than 38 S&W Special. 38 S&W is shorter and a slightly larger caliber than 38 S&W Special. Back in the day Colt wouldn't put S&W on ANY of their weapons. So the 38 S&W became the 38 Colt New Police and 38 S&W Special became 38 Special. Effectually the name became 38 special to everyone including S&W. Dropping the S&W from the 38 Special moniker also reduced confusion.

Dave

In late on this one but yeah what he said

Top Bottom