Informing law enforcement that you are carrying

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    We'll your topic was about informing him that you are armed. Like I posted when you go tell him leave your handgun at home unless you're scared he's going to shoot you. If you're that scared call his boss tell them your name Is Joe Blow or something

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Consider this situation. A neighbor/cop who works in a different parish, i.e. out of jurisdiction, parks his "unit" illegally. Why? LOL Come on - this is Louisiana and public safety takes a back seat when one's manhood is on the line.

Do you have to inform him that you are carrying when you ask him to kindly abide by traffic laws and move closer to the curb so his "unit" does not interfere with safety?

What type of area do you live in "city"? My wife if from the city and they park all over the place lol. Is he out of parking spots in his driveway? Not saying it makes it right but if his driveway is full and he's parking the best he can I think cutting him some slack may be in order.

I only tell LEOs that I'm carrying if they are on official business. If I chat with them in line at the store I don't tell them I'm carrying. If I was gonna approach "anyone/LEO" on their property I would leave the gun at home outta respect. I'm also pretty sure if you go on anyone's private property/home your supposed to tell them your carrying,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If he works for a different parish, then I don't see how it could be "official business".

Regardless, he's just a person. Forget about the lights and stickers on the car and go talk to him like one. He may have a good reason for parking like that, or may have no idea that it bothered anyone.

This. He cannot be "in an official capacity" out of his jurisdiction unless he is responding to a crime. You asking him to move his vehicle is not a crime.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I wouldn't feel the need to disclose that you're carrying if you're approaching him as a neighbor, and not confronting him as an officer. Just go talk to the guy. Chances are, he's not the big bad wolf, and he may be parking where he is for good reason. His answer may surprise you.
    We had a problem with people speeding on my street a couple years ago, and quite a few of us parked off the curb and closer to the street. It helped forced people to slow down when passing, and significantly reduced the average cars speed. Maybe that's all he is doing.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I wouldn't feel the need to disclose that you're carrying if you're approaching him as a neighbor, and not confronting him as an officer. Just go talk to the guy. Chances are, he's not the big bad wolf, and he may be parking where he is for good reason. His answer may surprise you.
    We had a problem with people speeding on my street a couple years ago, and quite a few of us parked off the curb and closer to the street. It helped forced people to slow down when passing, and significantly reduced the average cars speed. Maybe that's all he is doing.

I do this as well. Legally, there's only parking on one side of the street in my neighborhood. While I don't have kids myself, I've made good friends with my neighbors, and they all have children who love riding their bikes, skateboarding, etc. There are speed bumps on the road, but I can't count the times that I've called the police because there's some tool in a brand new Challenger who runs up and down the road as fast as possible. I park on my lawn with two wheels in the road whenever I see them out playing. I'd rather pay a ticket than visit a funeral.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    It is good advice to do that, except for the fact that it also blocks the view of small children running out into the road chasing a ball or just being kids, reducing reaction time of driver and visibility of those little ones no taller than your hood, trunk, or cab of your vehicle. Double edged sword I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom