Input Concerning a Scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I've been looking at the Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x/50mm BDC to mount on a S&W M&P 10. Would like to ultimately be able to work my way out to 1000 yards. Would this scope be sufficient for that or is there another that would be better?

Sorry about posting here, I just realized that this thread should have been posted in the Optics area but I can't move it.

Last edited:

bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Scope Q

I've been looking at the Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x/50mm BDC to mount on a S&W M&P 10. Would like to ultimately be able to work my way out to 1000 yards. Would this scope be sufficient for that or is there another that would be better?

Sorry about posting here, I just realized that this thread should have been posted in the Optics area but I can't move it.

Rig., I'm afraid that scope won't get you to 1000 yards, just not enough internal adjustment even if you utilize a 20 MOA base.
    Check out the M-308 4-16. This scope comes with a M-308 AR scope mount that has 20 MOA built into it and will get you to 1000 yards.
    I have used this scope to shoot to 500 yards and I was amazed how easy it was to go 5 for 5 on a 10 inch plate at that distance.

M-3084.jpg

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Thanks for the reply. Quick question: Are you using the BDC reticle and the Spot-On app and, if so, is the M-308 mount's 20 MOA already calculated into the app when selecting that particular scope. If not, do I need to input the gun sight height and firing angle and, if so, what are the equations that need to be put in?

Nevermind! I just found a good write-up on the M14 Forum by Aimhigh91 and noticed that you commented on that thread as well. It answered my questions pretty well.

Last edited:

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    After doing a little more research, I think I'm actually going to go with the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 (MOA) Reticle instead of relying on BDC. I believe by learning MOA, it will actually help me have a better understanding of shooting basics as well as not forcing me to use specific ammo loads. I'm also planning to use the Shooter - Ballistics Calculator instead of the Spot On app.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    After doing a little more research, I think I'm actually going to go with the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 (MOA) Reticle instead of relying on BDC. I believe by learning MOA, it will actually help me have a better understanding of shooting basics as well as not forcing me to use specific ammo loads. I'm also planning to use the Shooter - Ballistics Calculator instead of the Spot On app.

Wise in your decisions you are becoming. Advice from those who have gone before you must be guiding your way. hhmmmmmmm

Top Bottom