Interesting changes to S.C. CCW law:

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Seems as though S.C. legislators have some common sense?

Summary of Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) Law and Process Changes
    Effective February 11, 2014

· Persons with a CWP may carry a concealed weapon into an establishment licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on premise unless:
    o The owner, holder of a lease interest, or operator of a business may prohibit the carrying of concealable weapons into the business by posting a “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” sign in accordance with Section 23-31-235 of the S.C. Code of Laws (to include sign size and proper posting location).
    o The owner, holder of a lease interest, or operator verbally asks anyone known to be carrying a concealed weapon not to carry the weapon; or asks a person carrying a concealed weapon to leave upon learning they are in possession of the weapon.
    o The owner, holder of a lease interest, or operator of the property should notify the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction if there is a patron who is carrying a concealed weapon on property properly posted or refuses to comply with this request.

· CWP holders who lawfully carry a concealed weapon into an establishment that sells alcohol for on premise consumption may not consume alcohol (failure to comply may result in criminal charges and a five year revocation of a CWP).

· Concealed Weapon Permits issued after February 11, 2014 will be valid for five years instead of four years.

· SLED will notify CWP holders at least 30 days prior to permit expiration.

· CWP holders also may secure the weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle’s passenger compartment (Section 16-23-90(9)(a) of the S.C. Code of Laws). There is no change to the laws for those who do not have a CWP.

· SLED certified CWP instructors will now have the discretion to establish training time limits for CWP applicants. There is no longer an 8-hour minimum training requirement. Some applicants will require more training while others may require less, based on experience and/or training exemptions.

Any questions should be directed to the SLED Office of Regulatory Services at (803) 896-7015.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yep, seems properly explained, and easy to understand. I cant see that happening here, but hope it does

+1

I don't drink when I go out to socialize and I'm usually meeting up with people aka walking to and from my car solo. I'd like to see this here and hope it happens but you never know ESP with the Bourbon Street craziness in NOLA.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Sounds like it could be a worthless law.

Can you only carry into a bar if the owner has some physical or legal restriction on his ability to post a sign?

· Persons with a CWP may carry a concealed weapon into an establishment licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on premise unless:
    o The owner, holder of a lease interest, or operator of a business may prohibit the carrying of concealable weapons into the business by posting a *NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED* sign in accordance with Section 23-31-235 of the S.C. Code of Laws (to include sign size and proper posting location).

Sounds like every owner "may" post a sign, so you can't carry there, since they have the option.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    from the sounds of it their state has a "sign law". Which means to not allow concealed carry you need to have proper signage that meets a set guideline, or you CAN carry. Its just saying anyone can tell you you cant carry. At least thats how i read it. And no matter what its more easily understood than ours.

And for the record, i wish we had a sign law here. There is so much crap posted on most places doors, and the "no guns" is usually tiny, and cramped into a corner or with a paragraph of other stuff. If a place doesnt want guns, that fine, and its their right, just wish they had to be clearly posted.

copernicus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    South Louisiana
    from the sounds of it their state has a "sign law". Which means to not allow concealed carry you need to have proper signage that meets a set guideline, or you CAN carry. Its just saying anyone can tell you you cant carry. At least thats how i read it. And no matter what its more easily understood than ours.

And for the record, i wish we had a sign law here. There is so much crap posted on most places doors, and the "no guns" is usually tiny, and cramped into a corner or with a paragraph of other stuff. If a place doesnt want guns, that fine, and its their right, just wish they had to be clearly posted.

You're pretty close. There has to be a sign. The only requirement is that it say "No Concealable Weapons Allowed." Also, if the owner tells you no guns you have to leave regardless of whether or not there is a sign.

Top Bottom