Interesting set of tests

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    We did (and do) a lot of dim light shooting, since 70%+ of police shootings occur in dim light.

We learned a LONG time ago that ported guns are for competition; not the street... for precisely these reasons. Bright muzzle flash, whether from ports or incomplete powder burn (as displayed by far too many "duty" cartridges) is distracting to the shooter and detrimental to situational awareness.

And 70%+ of LEO shootings are within 10' and when shooting from retention/extreme retention with a ported pistol you will receive hot gas and debris in the facial area.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Wait, so the one guy who always comments on ported threads "I dont even notice when shooting at night" is full of it? Say it aint so!

I wanted a ported Glock. A picture of one being fired is what made me interested in pistols again..
    But heated gasses just dont sound safe so I never bought one just for that reason.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I wanted a ported Glock. A picture of one being fired is what made me interested in pistols again..
    But heated gasses just dont sound safe so I never bought one just for that reason.

Well, I've had this gun since about 1998 or so and it's been a very solid gun, with no problems. The ports just let the gasses escape in a different fashion then a non-ported model. But reading the article made me think about it. So, I believe that my 23c may go into the range bag and something else will take it's place. More then likely the p229 until I can add a .45 to my stable.

Thanks for the comments.

~rc~

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I understand preparedness and all that, but seriously; unless you are law enforcement or military, do you really believe that the average gun owner is going to have a fire fight in his/her bedroom and be able to control fire to the point he/she can be influenced positively or negatively by flash?

I like to think am ready too, but the fact is I don't know how I am going to act if the enemy is actually in my house already.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I agree. Noone knows exactly how they're going to act in that situation until it happens ... that is what training is for. That's why the military and police train all the time. I just like to take things out of the equation that could possibly work against me in that situation.

~rc~

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    do you really believe that the average gun owner is going to have a fire fight in his/her bedroom and be able to control fire to the point he/she can be influenced positively or negatively by flash?

Yes.

Even if the answer is no, using your same logic, replace the word "flash" with "recoil" and then tell me why compensated barrels are still a good idea.

Top Bottom