Interpretation of 14:95, alcoholic beverage outlets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    RS 14:95.5

No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

Interpretation: Applebees is a no go for firearms since they sell alcohol. The concealed carry statutes list areas where you are not allowed to carry and lists class A license locations.

One law doesn't restrict it in this location, one law makes it illegal. Is there any case law pertaining to this? The interaction of multiple laws is over my non-lawyer head.

I know general consensus on this board is that we CAN cc into Applebees but not sit in the bar area.

RS 14:94.4

Consent to search; alcoholic beverage outlet

A. Any person entering an alcoholic beverage outlet as defined herein, by the fact of such entering, shall be deemed to have consented to a reasonable search of his person for any firearm by a law enforcement officer or other person vested with police power, without the necessity of a warrant.

B. For purposes of this Section, "alcoholic beverage outlet" means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are the primary purpose or are an incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" licensed to sell firearms or containing an indoor shooting gallery shall be exempt from the provisions of this Section in those areas designated for the sale of firearms or the shooting gallery.

D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

E. The owner of the alcoholic beverage outlet shall post a sign, at or near the entrance, that states that by the fact of entering these premises a person shall be deemed to have consented to a reasonable search of his person for any firearm by a law enforcement officer or other person vested with police power, without the necessity of a warrant.

So by going into a bar you consent to warrantless searches for firearms. This seems like a tool the LEO could use to catch a bunch of drug users.

But, since Applebees does not derive most of their sales from alcohol, you do not give consent for warrantless searches by entering.

Anybody know why "alcoholic beverage outlet" is defined two different ways when using the same exact phrase?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    :rolleyes:

Here we go again.

...because it is Louisiana and there are inconsistencies throughout the law. Part of this is being worked through LSP in upcoming legislation to make it more clearly defined.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Brotherman,

Hasn't the absolutely useless member they call Nolacopusmc explained this hundreds of times? :D

Edit -wow see! He's already here :rofl:

Last edited:

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I was posting for the purpose of the difference in definitions of an "alcoholic beverage outlet." Then I had a thought about the overlapping carry laws.

I know the carry issue has been discussed, but what about the definition of an alcoholic beverage outlet?

Is there really a proposed law to fix this "same wording but means two different things according to two different laws" issue?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I was posting for the purpose of the difference in definitions of an "alcoholic beverage outlet." Then I had a thought about the overlapping carry laws.

I know the carry issue has been discussed, but what about the definition of an alcoholic beverage outlet?

Is there really a proposed law to fix this "same wording but means two different things according to two different laws" issue?

Actually, it is two totally different things.

95.5- says no weapons in any place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises= bars and restaurants.

The concealed carry law, which by design specifically exempts concealed carry permit holders from 95.5, even though not specifically stated within as it should, further clarifies that the exemption is meant to apply to restaurants and not bars.

that is why the clause about a "Class A general retail permit". The intent is to exempt permit holders from restaurants, but not bars.

Those without pemits, IE OC practitioners are barred from anyplace that serves alcohol per 95.5. However, I have seen some in said places and the general...don't be an ass rule generally applies to them not being hassled.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Actually, it is two totally different things.

95.5- says no weapons in any place that serves alcohol for consumption on premises= bars and restaurants.

The concealed carry law, which by design specifically exempts concealed carry permit holders from 95.5, even though not specifically stated within as it should, further clarifies that the exemption is meant to apply to restaurants and not bars.

that is why the clause about a "Class A general retail permit". The intent is to exempt permit holders from restaurants, but not bars.

Those without pemits, IE OC practitioners are barred from anyplace that serves alcohol per 95.5. However, I have seen some in said places and the general...don't be an ass rule generally applies to them not being hassled.

I am 100% in agreement as to what the CC law says and the difference in liquor license types.

However, you say that the CC Law (40:1379.3) exempts a person from 14:95.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451

Nowhere does it say that the permit holders are exempt to 14:95 or 14:95.5.

In 14:95.5 it does not specify whether legally or illegally carried.

No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    14.95.5 again. A very poorly written law. LEO cannot have a firearm unless there in an official capacity. That means, according to this law, that you can't carry in Applebees while off-duty.

This law, as written, is terrible. "But it's the written law!"

Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I am 100% in agreement as to what the CC law says and the difference in liquor license types.

However, you say that the CC Law (40:1379.3) exempts a person from 14:95.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451

Nowhere does it say that the permit holders are exempt to 14:95 or 14:95.5.

In 14:95.5 it does not specify whether legally or illegally carried.

i know it does not say that, but legal jurisprudence would agree that the entire concept of a concealed carry permit is to exempt one from that which is otherwise criminal.

Again, there are no solid answers here. These types of issues are decided in court. However, it is reasonable for one to take the wording in the CHP law to apply to CHP holders...even though it gives additional lattitude to carry....exactly the intended purpose of the permit in the first place.'

Think about it, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    14.95.5 again. A very poorly written law. LEO cannot have a firearm unless there in an official capacity. That means, according to this law, that you can't carry in Applebees while off-duty.

This law, as written, is terrible. "But it's the written law!"

Wrong again bucko.

HR 218 gives LEO the same rights as a CHP holder in any state that they are in.

Whether you agree or not, CHp is allowed in Applebees, therefore, LEO off-duty is allowed also.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    i know it does not say that, but legal jurisprudence would agree that the entire concept of a concealed carry permit is to exempt one from that which is otherwise criminal.

Again, there are no solid answers here. These types of issues are decided in court. However, it is reasonable for one to take the wording in the CHP law to apply to CHP holders...even though it gives additional lattitude to carry....exactly the intended purpose of the permit in the first place.'

Think about it, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

I frequently argue for the sake of arguing. I also worry about getting busted for firearms infractions while going about my life.

I understand the INTENT and agree.

Kind of like the "blue" headlights law.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Wrong again bucko.

Whether you agree or not, CHp is allowed in Applebees, therefore, LEO off-duty is allowed also.

I'm not wrong - the law is poorly written.

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    Wrong again bucko.

Nolacop is right. Pretty much LEO is on duty 24-7 in my book. But common sense prevails if I am going to indulge in some spirits I will not carry. But otherwise Its like an American express card, i do not leave home without(g27) it. HR218 is a blessing for LEO.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Nolacop is right. Pretty much LEO is on duty 24-7 in my book. But common sense prevails if I am going to indulge in some spirits I will not carry. But otherwise Its like an American express card, i do not leave home without(g27) it. HR218 is a blessing for LEO.

Furthermore, most LE agencies require via policy that LEO be armed within their jurisdiction, thus placing them "in an official capacity" 24-7.

Top Bottom