Introduction to 600 Yard Shooting- Saturday July 30th at 9:00 AM

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    PALO ALTO RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB

Introduction to 600 Yard Shooting

Saturday July 30th at 9 AM. Cost is $30. This class will include classroom training prior to shooting.

http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/directions.htm

This introduction will include both classroom and field shooting at 300yds and 600yds. The classroom will include information on calibers, rifling twists, bullet weights, ballistic coefficients, and bullet trajectory corrections in minutes-of-angle.

The student should provide a suitable rifle and forty rounds of ammunition. The rifle must have a good 100 or 200yd zero and be capable of producing sufficient velocity and accuracy to be safe at 600yds.. The scope must be a minimum of 10 power and have at least 16 minutes of available elevation above the 100yd zero. In order to be able to return to 100yd zero from distance settings, all scopes should be adjusted to mechanical zero on the knobs. Only iron sights on American military type rifles (AR-Hbar, Garand, M-1A) or match rifles are permitted. Barrel length minimum is 18". In .223 caliber, the minimum bullet weight will be 75 grains. Heavy barrels are preferred as are heavier bullets per caliber, and scopes with target knobs.

This is not an effort to see IF the rifle can hit the target at 600yds. It is a procedure to prove continuous safe and accurate fire at distances to 600yds. with suitable rifles.

THE SHOOTING PROCESS
    Following the classroom work, shooting will begin at the 300yd line, firing from the student's preferred position. Portable tables, bi-pods, etc. are fine. Five to ten shots to prove zero should be sufficient. If a shooter is unable to demonstrate accuracy and 300yd precision, he will retire. Shooters will alternate shooting and pit duty.

The group will then convene on the 600yd line and repeat the process. It will be at the range officer's discretion to remove shooters or equipment deemed to be unsafe or inappropriate.

Anyone who has attended any of xmeister's classes (Lanny Russell), whether it is the introduction to 600 class, wind reading or reloading can attest to his knowledge on the subject.

PREREGISTRATION INFORMATION-
    If you plan to attend, please fill in the below information, copy and paste into an email to xmeister@cox.net or chaser2020@yahoo.com prior to the class. When emailing, please note if you are a current Palo Alto member.

Name__________________________________________________

Address________________________________________________

City, State, Zip___________________________________________

Caliber________________ Bullet (wt.)___________

Velocity_______________ Barrel Length_________

Scope Power___________

Last edited:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I can attest to Lanny and Rick's day of training. This is a laid back non intimidating day of learning and trying your rifles. You will learn basic range safety, accuracy tips, and scope settings and wind readings. Once you attend, you will be addicted.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    For you guys who want to learn how to shoot at 600yds without the "pressure" of competition, this is your day. Don't worry about how your rifle groups, or if you think it's too far. If you have it zero'd at 100yds, Rick and Lanny can put you on target at 600. I might be able to make it and, if so, can furnish a rifle in .308 for anyone wanting to learn. You'll just need to bring your own ammo.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Yes. You interested? :)

The way I have been shooting 600 lately? Maybe. My offhand scores are better than my 600 scores. On Saturday, it was better by 9 points. In May, it was 14 points. I have been dropping more points at 600 than the rest of the course combined. Shooting a post well is becoming problematic.

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    The way I have been shooting 600 lately? Maybe. My offhand scores are better than my 600 scores. On Saturday, it was better by 9 points. In May, it was 14 points. I have been dropping more points at 600 than the rest of the course combined. Shooting a post well is becoming problematic.

That's one of the reasons I got out of HP. Couldn't focus on the front post... that and wearing that heavy coat! Lol!

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Dan my offhand was better than my Prone Sat as well. We were shooting in some hellacious wind.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Damn just saw this, and my barrel is 16". Oh well. I need to work on my bone support and get my prone position tuned back up before doing this stuff anyway.

Top Bottom