Is a military NGB Form 22 required for a concealed carry permit?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I am about to send in my concealed handgun permit application. I was in the Louisiana National Guard for 6 years and the application says to submit a DD Form 214 if you were in the military. Well, the form that shows that you were discharged from the National Guard is the NGB Form 22. So, to you former National Guardsmen that carry, which forms did you submit to get your permit?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    (g) Completion of small arms training within the preceding sixty months while serving with the armed forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the following:
    (i) For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an "Honorable Discharge" or "General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions" as evidenced by a Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214).

(ii) For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the National Guard or reserve components of the Armed Forces, possession of certification of completion of basic training with service record evidence of having successfully completed small arms training and qualification.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Well, my DD 214 does not really specify my discharge type. It just says Uncharacterized, whatever that means. I believe that my DD 214 only covers my active duty time, which was my time in basic training and AIT, not the time I spent on reserve status. The NGB Form 22 specifies that you were discharged from the National Guard.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The point of turning in the DD 214, as alluded to by Guate, is to negate the Required Handgun Training by a CHP Instructor.

This way, YOU can do all the ground/paper work and mail it in yourself.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Just make sure it is recent, had some students that came to a free class because their discharge papers were too old 5+ years and they would not take them as valid.

Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    It is required as proof of discharge. See page five of the application.
    Screenshot_2012-09-17-19-00-08.png

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    So no matter what, if you've been in the Military you MUST provide a DD-214?

Good question you see where it says "for example DOD form 214" So does that mean there are other forms? :dunno:

I've always sent a copy of my DD214 when I got my first CHP and all the times I've renewed

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My DD-214 shows I got a Honorable Discharge. I thought all of them showed the type disharge.

Mine says

Character of service was HONORABLE. Since I got my 214 when I got off Active duty I wasn't discharged yet. I got the 214 in Oct 1974 and my Honorable Discharge in the mail in Oct 1978

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Just make sure it is recent, had some students that came to a free class because their discharge papers were too old 5+ years and they would not take them as valid.

Sounds like a good thing. Hopefully they left the classs knowing stuff the military never taught them about civilian rules of engagement.

Very few people can justify the risks they are assuming by using their "military training" to avoid taking a CHP class.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I e-mailed the Louisiana State Police concealed handgun permit office to see if I needed to submit DD Form 214 which show release from active duty and/or NGB From 22 which shows you were discharged from the National Guard and they said that DD Form 214 is sufficient. I was asking all of this becuase I received my DD 214 after I had served just 5 months in the military. My official active duty ended when I got out of AIT. For the next 5-1/2 years, I was on reserve status. So, I was actually discharged from the military 7-1/2 years after I received my DD 214 (6 years of national guard duty plus 2 years inactive status).

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    If it doesn't say "honorable" there should be a discharge code that specifies under what circumstances. They want to be sure you weren't dishonorably/less than honorably discharged.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    If it doesn't say "honorable" there should be a discharge code that specifies under what circumstances. They want to be sure you weren't dishonorably/less than honorably discharged.

That is another reason that I want my form NGB 22. I do have a big certificate saying that I was honorably discharged, so my final discharge paperwork should say that as well. I was never in any trouble at all in the 6 years I was in so I should have an honorable discharge. I have been out since 1999 so I have to take the CHP class, which I have already taken.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I e-mailed the Louisiana State Police concealed handgun permit office to see if I needed to submit DD Form 214 which show release from active duty and/or NGB From 22 which shows you were discharged from the National Guard and they said that DD Form 214 is sufficient. I was asking all of this becuase I received my DD 214 after I had served just 5 months in the military. My official active duty ended when I got out of AIT. For the next 5-1/2 years, I was on reserve status. So, I was actually discharged from the military 7-1/2 years after I received my DD 214 (6 years of national guard duty plus 2 years inactive status).

scratchhead.gif
    Hmm... I got mine a little over 4 years AFTER my Active Duty EAS date, which was at the end of my 'Reserve Obligation Termination Date'.

4 Years Active> 4 Years Inactive Ready Reserve > Honorable Discharge Certificate Arrived in the Mail.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    scratchhead.gif
    Hmm... I got mine a little over 4 years AFTER my Active Duty EAS date, which was at the end of my 'Reserve Obligation Termination Date'.

4 Years Active> 4 Years Inactive Ready Reserve > Honorable Discharge Certificate Arrived in the Mail.

You got your certificate, right? But you should have received your DD214 the day or a few days before you ETS'd from your last duty station. I had my 214 the day I went on terminal leave. The cert, yeah, I never got that. I am sure it went to my HOR address which would have been in FL. If I really wanted it bad enough I am sure I could get one.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You got your certificate, right? But you should have received your DD214 the day or a few days before you ETS'd from your last duty station. I had my 214 the day I went on terminal leave. The cert, yeah, I never got that. I am sure it went to my HOR address which would have been in FL. If I really wanted it bad enough I am sure I could get one.

oops, yep, I did... I was talking about my certificate :doh:

not....enough...coffee...

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Ok I have a bunch of friends full time guardsman I've talked into getting thier permits. What form is good proof for range qualification as there seem to be many or does it not matter? Is it copy of 2-1 or are they wanting a range card? I've already emailed 2 different AGR personel and waiting for replies but alot of the time they are not alot of help in these type of things. I called LSP and they said qualification record. I'll find the answer but anyone on here point me in right dirrection would be appriciated.

Top Bottom