Is it illegal for CHLers to carry in restaruants with bars in LA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ngarre2

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Covington
    i know this is old but was just reading through it and thought I could add a little. So, I downloaded the permit app and under Class of Permit, they have:
    Class A - General (No one under the age of 18 admitted)

So i would think its a good rule of thumb if you cant go in the establishment or part of the establishment while under 18 then you cant legaly carry there.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I would not expect to see a bill passed that allowed even CHP holders to carry in a Bar.

So would I, the last thing I read about similar was allowing CHL holders to carry in a church.

I think a good rule of thumb would be that if you can smoke in it, you can't carry in it and vice versa.

But.... Fox and Hound is a Restaurant with a bar inside and I have seen ashtrays on the tables. Of course they could have been put there illegally by someone too.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    So would I, the last thing I read about similar was allowing CHL holders to carry in a church.

But.... Fox and Hound is a Restaurant with a bar inside and I have seen ashtrays on the tables. Of course they could have been put there illegally by someone too.

Fox and Hound is a bar, not a restaurant. They just happen to also serve food. Same thing with Bulldog. Its a different permit. Must be 21 to enter.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    there needs to be a push for clarification in this like in TX.....there are 2 signs in TX that CHLer must look for:
    30.06 - business does not allow CCW on premises
    51% - business or section of business (if placed in bar section of restaurant) if more than 51% of rev from alcohol consumption on premises

none of this guessing crap.

This wasn't so straightforward in Texas for a long time, as it seems.
    Restaurants with bars would put the "51%" signs up in an obscure location, like behind the bar, so that most would never see them. They finally changed the requirement to have the signs at or near the entrances.
    Same with hospitals. A hospital must post EVERY entrance for the signs to be effective. Very, very few do.
    leVieux

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Fox and Hound is a bar, not a restaurant. They just happen to also serve food. Same thing with Bulldog. Its a different permit. Must be 21 to enter.

I have seen kids in fox and hound. Granted, neither should be forbidden, but if they are, the signs should be standardized and required.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There were people with kids coming out of Fox and Hound Friday evening when I was walking in. I don't see Fox and Hound as a bar that happens to serve food anymore than Superior Grill.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    Really? I never would have guessed that. I do know that if you want to smoke indoors then you have to operate as a bar, unless or course your booze sales are over a certain % of your total sales. That may be the case with fox and hound. Now a restaurant can operate as a bar as a long as the kitchen is open for food, this was the stink with Chelsea's.

Either way, if you can smoke inside of fox and hound, then they are operating under a bar classification. Now I've talked to some other owners who talk about selling more booze than food can allow you to smoke inside, but I've never looked any deeper into it.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It's intended for a type A establishment meaning there's is a bar with alcohol being displayed, chillys is ok as long as you are not in the bar area booth area is ok, besides I don't see why you would want to sit at the bat area anyways most of the time your back is facing the entrance which is the ultimate NO for awareness of your surrounding.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    And if I remember correctly this is one of the issues that LSA is looking at getting clarified this year, get a more black and white rule of what they mean by type A license

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    These laws are idiotic. What does it matter where you carry? Sitting at a bar doesn't make you drunk. It should be illegal to drink while carrying, OC or concealed. A gun is no less lethal because it's hidden.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    And if I remember correctly this is one of the issues that LSA is looking at getting clarified this year, get a more black and white rule of what they mean by type A license

It is simple.

Class "A" refers to on premise consumption.

Class AG is the type of permit a bar or lounge would have.
    No one under 18 is allowed on the premises.

Class AR is for restaurants.
    Alcoholic beverages are served in conjunction with meals.
    Under 18 is allowed on the premises.

Title 14:95.5 states:

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It is simple.

Class "A" refers to on premise consumption.

Class AG is the type of permit a bar or lounge would have.
    No one under 18 is allowed on the premises.

Class AR is for restaurants.
    Alcoholic beverages are served in conjunction with meals.
    Under 18 is allowed on the premises.

This. AG= NO CARRY; AR=Concealed carry with permit. Title 14:95.5 does not apply if you have a valid CHP.

It has been determined that no clarification is necessary. Neither LSA nor NRA will be addressing this issue.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    This. AG= NO CARRY; AR=Concealed carry with permit. Title 14:95.5 does not apply if you have a valid CHP.

It has been determined that no clarification is necessary. Neither LSA nor NRA will be addressing this issue.

Dan,

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd feel a lot more secure with a statute to back that up.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    So you can OC at a bar?

I am pretty sure that you cannot OC at a bar. Even if you could, I would not be. (And I advocate OC) I do not think that mixing guns and booze is a good thing, even if I am not drinking, who is to say that some drunk guy 3 times my size (which is just about everyone) won't try, and him and his drunk buddies suceed, in taking away my gun, or your gun? Concealed.....mmm...differant story, they won't try to take it cause they are idiots if they don't realize that it is there.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am pretty sure that you cannot OC at a bar. Even if you could, I would not be. (And I advocate OC) I do not think that mixing guns and booze is a good thing, even if I am not drinking, who is to say that some drunk guy 3 times my size (which is just about everyone) won't try, and him and his drunk buddies suceed, in taking away my gun, or your gun? Concealed.....mmm...differant story, they won't try to take it cause they are idiots if they don't realize that it is there.

Which goes back to the nonsense of CC laws.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mike_717
    Top Bottom