Is there a USPSA match this Sunday in Gonzales?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Bring your gear and shoot. We'll walk you through. First timers shoot free. You'll be mad at yourself if you just watch.

+1. If you can safely operate your pistol and can follow simple directions, you should definitely shoot. You'll get plenty of opportunity to watch everyone else and participating is the best part of going.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Bring your gear and shoot. We'll walk you through. First timers shoot free. You'll be mad at yourself if you just watch.

I've thought about it but really don't feel comfortable. Want to do a least some drawstroke and reload practice before I try to do it under pressure.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've thought about it but really don't feel comfortable. Want to do a least some drawstroke and reload practice before I try to do it under pressure.

I would have made a fool out of myself if I went out there for my first time without practicing the fundamentals of the sport. I wouldn't have given a crap, but would have nonetheless. You should at least go and check it out for a little while. It will help you see what you can expect.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    There is only the pressure you put on yourself. It's a game, we keep score. Do I want to win when I shoot a match? Sure I do. But 1st order of business is to have fun. Some folks can't handle loosing and it shows when they do. If I ever get to that point, I'll quit playing the game.
    Like I said, bring your stuff. Ask to be squadded with me and we'll get you through your 1st match while having a boat-load of fun.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is only the pressure you put on yourself. It's a game, we keep score. Do I want to win when I shoot a match? Sure I do. But 1st order of business is to have fun. Some folks can't handle loosing and it shows when they do. If I ever get to that point, I'll quit playing the game.
    Like I said, bring your stuff. Ask to be squadded with me and we'll get you through your 1st match while having a boat-load of fun.

He didn't mention if he even had any gear?!? I am down with you coaxing him to come, but if he shows up there without basic stuff, he is going to feel ill-prepared. And no matter how tough skinned a person may or may not be, it sucks when you show up for the school dance in a v-neck and everybody else is wearing ties.

Just sayin.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    He didn't mention if he even had any gear?!? I am down with you coaxing him to come, but if he shows up there without basic stuff, he is going to feel ill-prepared. And no matter how tough skinned a person may or may not be, it sucks when you show up for the school dance in a v-neck and everybody else is wearing ties.

Just sayin.
    Good point.

jmeng, what gun and caliber do you have and how many mags and mag pouches? If you don't have what you need, we can surely get you what you need for the match.
    In fact, most of us have wasted tons of $ on the wrong gear. Don't go out and buy too much stuff til you know what you want or need. Ask what works and what is just hype. We won't steer you wrong.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Have basically no gear except for cheap holsters (Blade Tech injection molded, Fobus, etc). I know if I asked I would get plenty of offers for stuff to borrow. But without even owning the gear, I don't want to first time I try some of this stuff to be in front of a crowd, with a timer, etc. Appreciate the encouragement though. Plan is to come out, get some ideas on what I need to buy, and see how it all goes. Then I'll have a month to get the gear, practice the basics, and be ready to give it a shot in July. Look forward to meeting some of y'all.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Have basically no gear except for cheap holsters (Blade Tech injection molded, Fobus, etc). I know if I asked I would get plenty of offers for stuff to borrow. But without even owning the gear, I don't want to first time I try some of this stuff to be in front of a crowd, with a timer, etc. Appreciate the encouragement though. Plan is to come out, get some ideas on what I need to buy, and see how it all goes. Then I'll have a month to get the gear, practice the basics, and be ready to give it a shot in July. Look forward to meeting some of y'all.

jmeng, I am telling you I was in your shoes. Had wanted to do it for a long long time before I found this place and could even begin to think about it. Now I would feel no reservations about telling a new guy what to do to get started.

The bare basics are a belt, at least 3 mags (but you might as well get 5(you will need that many if you shoot production)); a holster that fits your gun, muffs and eye protection. Then you have the bare minimum to compete.

You need to know the commands of the RO/timer and you do not touch your gun, remove it, or load it anywhere but the designated places; once it is in your holster or unless it's your turn and the RO/timer tells you to, and you will avoid embarassment from ignorance.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    When the shooting starts, go to stage 3 (left side of the 50 yd range) watch a few shooters and ask lots of questions. Slide on over to stage 4 (right side of the 50 yd range) do the same. Move to stage 1 (front of the 100 yd range) . Then go to stage 2 (back of the 100 yd range) and repeat.
    Try not to stay with the same group too long. You will be able to tell who to listen to and who not to. But watch as many different guys or gals as you can and you will see a broad range of abilities. Don't be scared of the fancy guns, gear, or shirts. We are just people.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When the shooting starts, go to stage 3 (left side of the 50 yd range) watch a few shooters and ask lots of questions. Slide on over to stage 4 (right side of the 50 yd range) do the same. Move to stage 1 (front of the 100 yd range) . Then go to stage 2 (back of the 100 yd range) and repeat.
    Try not to stay with the same group too long. You will be able to tell who to listen to and who not to. But watch as many different guys or gals as you can and you will see a broad range of abilities. Don't be scared of the fancy guns, gear, or shirts. We are just people.

Thanks. I'm thinking I'll spend some time watching the slow/low scoring people. That should make me feel better. :D

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    jmeng, I am telling you I was in your shoes. Had wanted to do it for a long long time before I found this place and could even begin to think about it. Now I would feel no reservations about telling a new guy what to do to get started.

The bare basics are a belt, at least 3 mags (but you might as well get 5(you will need that many if you shoot production)); a holster that fits your gun, muffs and eye protection. Then you have the bare minimum to compete.

You need to know the commands of the RO/timer and you do not touch your gun, remove it, or load it anywhere but the designated places; once it is in your holster or unless it's your turn and the RO/timer tells you to, and you will avoid embarassment from ignorance.

I can probably handle that although my wife will tell you that following commands isn't my strong suit. But seriously, planning on picking up a couple double mag holders, decent belt, and at least one more mag (will make 5 total).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom