Is there a way to get internet without cable, dish, and ATT?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I would like to get rid of my bundle with Suddenlink to save money. The $160+ monthly bill is killing me. Is there any way to get internet without using a cable co., dish or ATT? SL does not offer internet alone, you have to at least basic cable and the int. + cable is 115 month. DSL alone with ATT is too slow and requires 2 yr. commitment.

Any internet available via another route? If not, how can I get rid of cable and still get the net? I've talked to SL about savings and the best I could get was a $15 savings, and that was dropping some of the only channels I cared for. Are there any options besides what I have. Last 4 years I figure I have paid them over $7000, surely there's hope out there.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I honestly don't think so, atleast not around here since there is literally ZERO competition for "high speed" internet.

I've used the air cards that sprint/att/verizon offer, and wasn't impressed at all by the speeds, even when doing simple internet browsing.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Well I say OH HELL YEA

I have verizon cell phone and internet on a shared plan at a great price.

Here in Liazrd Creek at my crib anyway there is no way to get cable(Amen)and the only dish I want is for my dog Daisy:}

Seriously,I have been very satisfied with Verizon's little black box from Samsung gives me 4G coverage out here in the woods 80% of the time 3G the rest and is fast!

If you have cell phone coverage with a Verizon Phone you can have internet coverage.

Visit your Verizon store they will even let you try it for I hink 15 days to be sure your satisfied, well on the east side of the state anyway!

I had A$$T&T wireless internet before Verizon and Verizon smokes their A$$ out here again OH YES U CAN:}

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I got the Verizon plan also. It's a mobile hot spot and 2 smartphones on an 8 gig data plan. My connection is defiantly slower than DSL but its manageable.

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    IIRC Wild Blue has a a 50 $ a month deal. It's another bird feeder in your yard though

I have Wild Blue and it's way faster than Hughes.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    If you have a neighbor that is close enough and the two of you get along, you and always ask him to piggy back off his WIFI and/or offer him say 20 bucks a month the share his connection. You can set up a an old wireless router as a wireless access point to his wifi for more signal strength if he's a little further away.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    If you have a neighbor that is close enough and the two of you get along, you and always ask him to piggy back off his WIFI and/or offer him say 20 bucks a month the share his connection. You can set up a an old wireless router as a wireless access point to his wifi for more signal strength if he's a little further away.

THIS can be a win/win with a good neighbor

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    DO NOT USE SATELLITE INTERNET> it SUCKS plain and simple. I had hughes net and the speeds suck ass. it's expensive and forget streaming anything.

You'd like Wild Blue then, I can run video with n/p and the price is right compared to Hughes. Had Hughes for 2 years, that was just always one POS

No cell bars here, no cable. I'm sure cable is faster but ....

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    You'd like Wild Blue then, I can run video with n/p and the price is right compared to Hughes. Had Hughes for 2 years, that was just always one POS

No cell bars here, no cable. I'm sure cable is faster but ....
    If you have no other option then you do what you have to. I don't like the data limits they have either.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    It's sattelite. It sucks compared to DSL or Cable. They have data limits and if you have a windy or rainy day it'll wreak havoc on your signal... And it's expensive. At least 80 a month for their slowest service..

http://www.wildblue.com/overview/faqs#2_7

http://www.wildblue.com/legal/data-allowance-policy

Did you have there old service or the new 12 MBPS service?
    The old service with both WildBlue and Hughesnet was 1.5 MBPS to 3 MBPS if I remember correctly.
    The new plans for WildBlue are 12 MBPS down and 3 MBPS up starting at $50 per month for 10GB, $80 for 15GB, or $130 for 25 GB. Equipment is $10 per month or $200 for 24 months. Free setup through January 14.
    http://www.wildblue.com/options/availability
    Hughesnet has similar plans. http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page=Plans-Pricing
    I haven't tried the new service but have heard good results about it.

I had both WildBlue and Hughesnet in the past. I like WildBlue better because the limit was for a rolling 30 day vs. Hughesnet was a daily limit. If I had a big download on WildBlue I just had to keep my usage down on other days.

The rain, wind, or heavy clouds will kill the signal.
    Also satellite is not recommended for VPNs, VOIP, or real time gaming.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    My house in Georgia had/has hughesnet. Our only other choice was dial up. If the dial up had been 44kbs I would have kept it instead of hughes net for two simple reasons - it uses the phone line and is not suceptable to power outages when using the laptop and there is no contract. Both suck, but when I needed updates or to download anything big, I went up to wendy's and used their free wifi. I actually used to play a MMOG via dial up and it was not too bad. Slow, but i had less issues with it freezing up or dropping connection.

Top Bottom