Is this knife legal here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    LEGAL ISSUES

Q. How do I, as a private citizen purchase an Automatic knife from Benchmade®? I don't agree with Benchmade's Automatic knife policy and repair policy.
    A. Benchmade Knife Company, Inc. follows guidelines outlined in the Federal Codes, which prohibit us to ship Automatic knife(s) to anyone other than Public Safety/Military. To comply, you have the option of registering with this website as the "Public Safety/Military" web account type, and digitally sign the Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgment Form. We do not make any exceptions to this Law, which is not applicable to Oregon Residents at this time.

PRICES

Or you can just buy them on Amazon and not have to register an account:

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Min...72&sr=8-2&keywords=benchmade+2550+mini+reflex

I think I have an Amazon problem... :P

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Nice knife.

But I'm not gonna lie: For around $600, I'd buy another pistol. :rofl:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I for one disagree with the law of non LEO/mil/EMS not being able to own/carry auto's, but with that said, it IS against the law, so why risk breaking the law for something like that when there are so many other options out there?

xx v0odo0 xx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Reading the legal language from the document in the earlier post clarifies a lot of the outlines.

The way that I previously understood knife laws; butterfly knives, blades larger than the palm of your hand, and switchblades are illegal to carry. In terms of spring-assisted knives, I was told that push button action blade release was deemed illegal, however lever action models are legal. The Benchmade in the original post is a push button spring-assisted knife, therefore it is without question illegal to carry.

You guys are also making me question the legality of Benchmade spring-assisted knives. Are the lever action spring assisted Benchmades as found here without the push-button (http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Benchmade-Auto--48) legal to carry in everyday carry?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    RYou guys are also making me question the legality of Benchmade spring-assisted knives. Are the lever action spring assisted Benchmades as found here without the push-button (http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Benchmade-Auto--48) legal to carry in everyday carry?

Looking through all 4 pages on the link you provided, all knives listed are push button auto open knives and are thus illegal to possess unless you qualified as per the above law.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    A good OTF is one of the best ADD toys ever invented.

Sitting here playing with one now. :cool:

I own a couple OTFs of varying quality but they never leave the house. I have a rule that any mail order shinies or gadgets I receive must be opened via OTF or switchblade. It just makes my new gadgets all the more awesome.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If it broke and you needed work on it Benchmade couldn't send it back to you.

An even better reason to buy SOGs :)
    (I honestly don't know if they have that policy or now... I just like SOGs haha)

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    If it broke and you needed work on it Benchmade couldn't send it back to you.
    This is true. If you should have a friend who can legally own one, however, he/she can be listed (solely) on the correspondence and the manufacturer will send it back to them. [Didn't you transfer ownership to said person? You did, right?] The federal laws regarding these knives seem to hinge on interstate shipment. Benchmade/Gerber etc. accept anyone's statement of exemption and do not check into owners' eligibility or verify credentials. (Safer policy for them). Registration is never a requirement for repairs. I'm not advocating anyone break federal or state laws. I concur with corey d's statement. New Hampshire, Arizona, +1 or 2 other states have it right. The trend is slowly moving towards ownership and carry legality. It's like a redheaded cousin of right-to-carry discussions.

As far as body mechanics go, fully-automatic deployment requires chiefly gross motor skill (vs fine). Assisted-opening is more on the finer end of the skill scale, much closer to a manual folder. You may not believe so until you practice under intense stress a few times. I do believe they are better than manual folders. Fixed blades are superior to all three, but not a realistic option for many.

Should you pursue assisted opening models, I strongly suggest something with a thumb stud mounted to the blade, as is found commonly on all manual folders.

Regarding the fully-automatic aka switchblade designs, side-openers are more reliable for deployment than OTFs. In the event of mechanism failure (or clogged pocket lint you neglected to clean out during PM) you have access to at least some of the blade's spine to manually open it like a folder (after unlocking it, obviously). Also, most OTFs do not continue their attempt to deploy after being interrupted by things as minor as cloth. Full-auto side openers are under constant and consistent spring pressure. Side opening knives are generally much easier to clean as well.

You should perform Preventative Maintenance on any mechanical device you possibly intend to trust your life to, especially when exposed to the unfriendly environment of your sweaty, dusty pocket on a daily basis.

[rant]
    Tacticool OTF ADD ADHD playtoys are a different matter entirely, more akin to the safe queens, range toys, and HK blackhole moneypits of the firearms world. Their intricate spring loaded double-action CNC machined sliding switch goodness sure is cool, slick, and entertaining though. It's definitely fun to envision yourself in Mission Impossible IX while in front of your favorite HD monitor. For the sake of practicality, and given the above considerations, I would be almost as likely to carry one on duty as some crossbladed dragonslayer something from a Bud K catalog.
    [/rant]

I'm not a knife guy, but that's what I learned when I decided I should be carrying one.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Is there any legislation working its way through the appropriate channels to correct the stupid automatic knife laws? If not, why?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I wouldn't even be interested in this thing to be honest.

the very best knives cost less than 100 bucks.
    ... very GOOD knives can be found under 30
    ... and very decent knives can be found under 10.

that is, if you're an amazonholic like some (im guilty)

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I wouldn't even be interested in this thing to be honest.

the very best knives cost less than 100 bucks.
    ... very GOOD knives can be found under 30
    ... and very decent knives can be found under 10.

that is, if you're an amazonholic like some (im guilty)

I must disagree
    You gotta pay to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I must disagree
    You gotta pay to play.

I've got kershaws, gerbers, and el cheapo's- among others. Literally bags full of random collectible/average/misc knives at home. I use and abuse this amazon cheapie daily and the plan was for me to be able to toss it when needed and buy another one cheap. The thing is I've been using and abusing this cheap "junk" knife daily and it just keeps on goin. Probably cost ~ the tax of my nicer ones. I thought I was buying a throw away knife...but it just literally won't die. It's never been sharpened or cared for in the least. Hell it cut a seat belt a few weeks ago and I thought it'd be toast for sure. Nope- still works great and cuts anything I feed it. It was so good that I bought a half dozen more and gave them out to some friends on my shift.

That being said- it looks and feels like what you'd expect from a 20.00 knife. I guess I just prefer function over jewelry.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I must disagree
    You gotta pay to play.

So other than keeping an edge (supposedly) longer, what practical advantages does a $600 knife offer that sets it apart from a $130 knife? There would have to be a laundry list for me to justify forking out that much gun/ammo cash on something that- at the end of the day- is still just a pocket knife. :dunno:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So other than keeping an edge (supposedly) longer, what practical advantages does a $600 knife offer that sets it apart from a $130 knife? There would have to be a laundry list for me to justify forking out that much gun/ammo cash on something that- at the end of the day- is still just a pocket knife. :dunno:

I'm curious the exact same thing, but I didn't ask because I think its glock v 1911 all over again.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

the quality of the build and materials. 600 for a knife is a little over the top but is far from outrageous spending compared to some stuff in the gun and knife world.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think $100-150 is the point of diminishing returns when it comes to pocket knives. Spending less will likely get you a knife made of subpar materials, and spending more gets you materials and features that have no practical advantage. Like a finely tuned 1911 I can absolutely respect the craftsmanship and they'll certainly look great in the safe, you just don't gain anything in terms of actual use.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom