It has begun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I skipped pages 2-7 but here is my opinion. Don't take a national holiday and swap it for a religious holiday. If they want their religious holiday, make them work on Christmas. We get ours, they gets theirs'.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The scary islamic radicals, are intolerant.

Islam isn't just a religion. If they are a practicing Muslim, then they are radical. Some just don't let us see behind the curtain.

Is your friend a practicing Muslim? If so, ask him what would happen if his family found out he was converting to Christianity.

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Islam isn't just a religion. If they are a practicing Muslim, then they are radical. Some just don't let us see behind the curtain.

Is your friend a practicing Muslim? If so, ask him what would happen if his family found out he was converting to Christianity.

They would be upset, they are pretty americanized.

But i feel a disowning coming up since he got a tongue ring :rofl:

I think the ring was a dumb idea too.. lol

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Converting to Christianity, apostay, the penalty for that is death. Actually, the penalty for lots of things in Islam is death. Is apostay a stoning crime, a beheading crime, or some other brutal form of death crime. Sometimes I don't get this religion of peace and love.

Maybe we all need to see an interview with a suicide bomber before judging though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    We have a winner!

I agree, im pretty sure everyone else will agree with that idea too.

+2. I don't think that they should have dropped Labor day for the whole plant. I think they should have at a minimum made it a floating holiday for those that want/don't want to celebrate it. I mean hell, do the majority of people who take off for memorial, veterans and labor day really celebrate it the way it was written? Nope...lol

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    The problem isn't that the Muslim's want their holiday off. I don't even have a problem with Tyson giving them a religious holiday off since it represents the majority of their workers. BUT WHAT IDIOT AT TYSON AGREED TO SWAP AN AMERICAN HOLIDAY FOR A MUSLIM ONE?!? That should never have even approached the bargaining table. They could have let them all use a vacation day, called it a maintanance day, let them swap it for Christmas even, no problem.

And I agree with that 10000000%. I think it should have been offered as a floating holiday. That's my whole point.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    My **** for brains company took away one of 3 floating holidays for everyone and made black friday a company holiday :ugh2:

Pops

Old but not dead .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    EBR Parish
    Christmas, Easter, Mardi Gras, Thanksgiving...

Easter is on a Sunday . Off anyway .

Mardi Gras ? You'r kidding , right ? Care to provide a Biblical reference ?

Thanksgiving ? Sorry , no .

Let's face it . We all know what has happened to Christmas .

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    My final comment on this thread is simply that I agree with LACamper on post #77. Tyson made a dumb move with the swap of hollidays and I will not buy their products because of it.

That being said I still have my opinions about comments made here and the great thing is that we can all say them even if we each think the other guy is an idiot (he he he)!!!

Ya'll keep having fun here I am out.

electrode1998
    :rofl:

nastynewt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2007
    Franklinton/Houma LA
    Wow, im surprised at most of you.

I dont see it as a big deal. If that many muslims are working there, why not accommodate them?

My best friend is Islamic, seriously, it not that big of a deal.

"Your kidding right?I dont care if its 700 muslims or 700 mexicans if it was that important they should have just added another paid holiday.You do know what would happen to you if you tried to replace one of there holidays with one of ours over there."

Theyd be doing the same thing your doing, get pissed off.

What are you all so scared of?
    We all bleed red. We all want the same thing, freedom. Our views of freedom may be different, who cares?

Ill support Palestine over Israel anyday.

I bet Palestine has room for you you need a ticket?

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Easter is on a Sunday . Off anyway .

My company and alot of others have a day off right around easter for it.

Mardi Gras ? You'r kidding , right ? Care to provide a Biblical reference ?

You're kidding, right? MG is a Catholic holiday. If you need someone to point that out, you're not from here.

Thanksgiving ? Sorry , no .

Thanksgiving, yes. In the United States, Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day is an annual one-day legal holiday to express gratitude for the things one has at the end of the harvest season, usually directed to God. Although it can be construed as not holding reverence to one religion, thanks are given to a God for the harvest. So yes, it is religous. I'll ask you one thing: Do you pray to God and give him thanks for the bounty you have when you are at the table? That should answer your question.

Let's face it . We all know what has happened to Christmas .

And it's still a religous holiday. I didn't list Good Friday, Ash Wednesday or All Saints Day. However, down here you can get them off.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My company and alot of others have a day off right around easter for it.

You're kidding, right? MG is a Catholic holiday. If you need someone to point that out, you're not from here.

Thanksgiving, yes. In the United States, Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day is an annual one-day legal holiday to express gratitude for the things one has at the end of the harvest season, usually directed to God. Although it can be construed as not holding reverence to one religion, thanks are given to a God for the harvest. So yes, it is religous. I'll ask you one thing: Do you pray to God and give him thanks for the bounty you have when you are at the table? That should answer your question.

And it's still a religous holiday. I didn't list Good Friday, Ash Wednesday or All Saints Day. However, down here you can get them off.

Mardi Gras is NOT a legitimate religous holiday . If it were , Catholics would be celebrating it worldwide . ( Still waiting on that Biblical reference )
    When was the last time you heard of a Catholic Church having a Mardi Gras Mass ? I was raised a Catholic AND was born and raised here . Forget about that one pal .

Thanksgiving ? Nope . You'r twisting that one as well . Since you quoted WIKIPEDIA almost word for word ( busted ) , you should have quoted the part about it being a secular holiday . It's origins pre date the Pilgrims at Plymouth . It wasn't a religous holiday for them either . Forget about that grade school stuff .

Oh yeah , Ash Wednesday and All Saints Day ? Who gets those day off ? Hell , the Catholic Diocese probably even works those days .

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Mardi Gras is NOT a legitimate religous holiday.

Really, it's not a legitimate religious holiday?

Mardi Gras is the final day of Carnival, the three day period preceding the beginning of Lent, the Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday immediately before Ash Wednesday (some traditions count Carnival as the entire period of time between Epiphany or Twelfth Night and Ash Wednesday). So there goes that theory.

If it were , Catholics would be celebrating it worldwide . ( Still waiting on that Biblical reference ).

They do, just not the partying which has come to overshadow the holiday. As far as you're biblical reference, just open a bible. I think you're not as well versed as you think you are. http://www.crivoice.org/cylent.html

When was the last time you heard of a Catholic Church having a Mardi Gras Mass ? I was raised a Catholic AND was born and raised here . Forget about that one pal .

When? How about every ASH WEDNESDAY! Mardi Gras is the last day of feasting before the fast. You then go to mass on Ash Wednesday. Odd, if you were raised Catholic (and here, nonetheless) you would have known that is what you do.

Thanksgiving ? Nope . You'r twisting that one as well . Since you quoted WIKIPEDIA almost word for word ( busted )

OMG, I quoted wiki!! How dare I! I guess all the facts that are in there, with the specific cites for where that information came from, is without merit. Your argument doesn't work.

, you should have quoted the part about it being a secular holiday . It's origins pre date the Pilgrims at Plymouth . It wasn't a religous holiday for them either . Forget about that grade school stuff .

It is a registered secular holiday. So you're saying you don't pray on Thanksgiving? You don't give any worship the Sunday before? Ok, I'll buy that. I guess it isn't considered a religious holiday at all. I think you're now twisting it. To say it is a purely secular holiday is wrong. If it isn't, how about you DON'T pray to your God giving thanks for a bountiful harvest. Lincoln is the one who started Turkey day. Here is his proclamation:

"It has seemed to me fit and proper that they ['gracious gifts from God'] should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American people. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens." — October 3, 1863 - Thanksgiving Proclamation

Wow, you're right. That doesn't sound religious at all :rolleyes:

Oh yeah , Ash Wednesday and All Saints Day ? Who gets those day off ? Hell , the Catholic Diocese probably even works those days .

According to you, no holidays are religious. However, if we were to take Christ out of them (praying on Thanksgiving, going to mass on Ash Wednesday, etc) you'd bitch about the liberals interfering with your God given right to worship on those holy days. You can't have it both way (unless it's in your posts...). Not alot of people get those days off. But all they asked was what religious holidays are out there. Those are religious holidays.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom