Iwo Jima day trip 2016

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lw55566

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 27, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Iwo Jima is not easy to get to. There is only one day a year that the island is open to the public for a "Reunion of Honor".

The short version: In 1968 we returned the island to the Japanese. Since we were conducting operations in Vietnam from bases in Okinawa they were able to apply pressure for us to return Iwo.

There is one company that has the monopoly on the charter. You leave from Guam, and the flight is about 2 hours. Once you arrive you have about 6 hours on the island and then back to Guam. It used to be that you had more freedom, once on the island. Apparently, a few years back there was some issues with people getting into trouble in the caves. Now access is carefully controlled. The US flies a group of Marines onto the island a few days ahead of time and they assist the Japanese military in keeping track of everyone.

Japanese civilians are also flown in for the ceremony, to them it is conducted like a funeral. We all had to dress in funeral appropriate attire. Once past the memorial area you can remove your coat, tie, etc...

Here are some photos, if anyone is curious for more details, feel free to ask.

Check in with the Marines. The Japanese have already taken away our passports away in Guam. They were returned prior to boarding for departure.

Road from base to Mount Suribachi. The Marines flew in vans to help with the walk, I think they were flown in from Okinawa. Its paved near the airfield and up to the top of Suribachi but dirt in between. In this view the invasion beach is to the left.

View of invasion beached from the top of Suribachi.

Blasted pill box.

The beach.

At the top of Suribachi are 2 Japanese memorials and the American Memorial. 364 days a year, only the Japanese flag is flown. For about 2 hours, that morning before the memorial service starts, one can use the American flag pole to fly a personal flag. I am bummed I did not know this, I would have brought one.

Japanese memorials in the foreground, US memorial in the background. American's really lingered at the top. The Japanese came up, spent a moment and quickly left.

The US memorial.

Former location of the US Marine Cemeteries. All US graves were removed in the late 40's and early 50's. The families could choose to have them returned home for local burial or for burial in US military cemeteries, such as the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii.

Last edited:

lw55566

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 27, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Great photos.

Why are the passports taken away? I've always used mine as ID when traveling internationally. Of course I only a few stamps so far,

The Japanese government officials just take them away for the day. immigration officials fly down from Japan and take them before you get on the plane in Guam. They then flew with us to Iwo and back to Guam. Since Iwo is an active Japanese military base there are no facilities for customs processing or passport control. You get them back right before boarding in the afternoon. Sometime during the day they stamped them all.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I visited in 2000 when I was on active duty in Oki. Great experience and a great honor to have been able to visit. There were way less restrictions when I visited but it is not a surprise to hear they tightened up.

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Thanks for sharing. Didn't know it was still an active military base.

Lived in Asia for a number of years, had wanted to see many historical sites but never did.::bummed

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Top Bottom