Jefferson Parish LEO... Overstepped his authority?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Want to start by saying I'm not, nor will I ever be a cop basher, hater, etc. I've had a few family members that were LEOs over the years and a few friends as well. We need them, their job is tough and there is good and bad in almost anything.

Not sure what the law says about being in someone else's home, but me in my home, one cop not showing a warrant and forcing himself into my home would be treated as any other intruder, regardless. I don't know the circumstances surrounding the video, but I'm pretty certain the LEO could have handled things better. And turning his back on and totally shutting out his surroundings, alone mind you, tells me he wasn't thinking straight at the time. Say what you will, but his actions were oozing fail.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    At least he didn't shoot the dog.

^ This ^

As long as the dog survives....everything else is minor....kind of like having ones feelings hurt.

Kill a dog....thats permanent.

Yea....and FWIW...I'm guessing it was an eviction maybe ? Guy resisted...cop finally got pissed....says You're now going to jail....and then his buddy or roommate starts to film.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I dont know what the probable cause for the arrest was or the charge , but Just cause someone is standing inside the threshold does not put them on "home base" if you have probable cause for an arrest. It is legal and allowed to pursue an arrestee into a home without a warrant to effect an arrest. This happens every day, officers chase people into homes, wanted people answer the door, try to shut the door on officers, etc, no search warrant or arrest warrant required.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You can't commit crimes, or give an Officer probable cause that you were about to,
    and then run into your Home to prevent the ensuing arrest, under the guise of Private Property Rights.

The Officer sure could use some TRAINING,
    but what he was doing wasn't unlawful, if the first statement is a fact.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ...and...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but;

Police also do not have to read Miranda Rights at the time of arrest.
    However, the police must read a suspect his Miranda Rights before an interrogation

Is this not correct?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You are correct on both counts. I didn't see anything illegal, what I did see is a cop totally lose control of a situation. He performed his job poorly enough that he should be relieved.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So....this cop is alone? Then enters the home of a suspect/citizen (whichever)? This seems terribly dangerous and completely irresponsible of him.

In retrospect, I hope he realizes how easily that situation could have cost him his life.

And I agree with VG. Fired!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if he keeps that up hes going to get himself or another officer hurt or worse. he needs to be told adios.

that situation really could have gone very badly, for all parties involved.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yet another reason to not answer the door. Works for Jehovah's witnesses, your annoying neighbor, and girlscouts too.

you shouldn't have to fear answering your door when an officer knocks. this guy is a jackwagon of many sorts, and this isn't how the other 99.99999% of house calls go down.

honestly, I'm just glad that he didn't get hurt... because he could have about a dozen different ways.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    This is a buddy of mine. (Fellow rider and friend)
    He is normally pretty pro LE....
    Seems to be a pattern with this guy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396531734.332798.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396531764.816038.jpg

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Your buddy needs to speak up imo

Looks like he is speaking up a bit. But its real hard when a cop starts screwing with you. You are at their mercy. I agree 99% are good and there for the right reason....but in the last 30 years...I have also seen my fill of really fricking bad cops. Just fricking dirty. I avoided them like the plague.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    ^ This ^

As long as the dog survives....everything else is minor....kind of like having ones feelings hurt.

Kill a dog....thats permanent.

Yea....and FWIW...I'm guessing it was an eviction maybe ? Guy resisted...cop finally got pissed....says You're now going to jail....and then his buddy or roommate starts to film.

That's what I was thinking. A bunch of hullabaloo over something pretty minor. But I was glad they didn't shoot the dog. Some of them look for the opportunity to do shoot an animal not really sure why? Although I do understand when it happens to a pit bull or the other large breeds.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    That's what I was thinking. A bunch of hullabaloo over something pretty minor. But I was glad they didn't shoot the dog. Some of them look for the opportunity to do shoot an animal not really sure why? Although I do understand when it happens to a pit bull or the other large breeds.

Because dogs are unpredictable and a leos job is to maintain absolute control of the situation for the safety of ALL parties involved. If/when I need to go hands on, the dog is now another potential combatant. If I'm wrestling with rover, I can't keep the other party from fetching a firearm or grabbing at mine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom