jugging for gar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    been wanting to try it for a while and have been stashing bottles, ive never done it before and was lookin for tips, goin out to the ouachita river tomorrow for some tubing/swimmin and figured i could throw these out in some of the river lakes when we first get out there and pick em back up when we're about to leave.

thanks guys

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That is a very effective way to catch them. However, if the river has a strong current it will be difficult. Most juggers put out in bodies of water that are not easily influenced by tide or current. Afterall, you DO need to find your jugs.

Also, unless you know for sure you have large gar (3 foot or more), in your area; you may be wasting your time.

If you do, you could tether your jugs from shore, or a tree, or whatever works, in a location where you know there are good populations. But again, they don't like currents.

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    ive seen pretty large gar come from this stretch of river, hell, at the lock and dam in columbia, a buddy of mine and his step dad caught an alligator gar over 10 ft long(not exaggerating, it was tied up to a basketball goal so they could clean it, it was huge). the river lakes where ill be doing this dont have much current. what size hooks do i need to use? how long should the line be? what strength should the line be? what should i bait with. like i said, ive never done it before so any and all input would be awesome versus just shooting for the hip and hoping for the best.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ive seen pretty large gar come from this stretch of river, hell, at the lock and dam in columbia, a buddy of mine and his step dad caught an alligator gar over 10 ft long(not exaggerating, it was tied up to a basketball goal so they could clean it, it was huge). the river lakes where ill be doing this dont have much current. what size hooks do i need to use? how long should the line be? what strength should the line be? what should i bait with. like i said, ive never done it before so any and all input would be awesome versus just shooting for the hip and hoping for the best.

OK! Calm down.

The line from the jug could be nylon though most use monofilament. You should get 100lb test or more. You need a leader from the hook. I would suggest any conventional wire leader to at least 100 lb test, but when I was a gar destroyer, we used Sevenstrand leader wire. It was plastic coated. My favorite was 135 Lb. The hook was a large straight offshore 10.

The bait can be any indigenous fish species from the area cut into chunks.

A 10 foot gar is a slight exageration, but they can get that big. 10 feet would be near record for Louisiana.

jgreg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    Good start on thread I need help on also I cannot help you but maybe other BS can help us both I have needle nose gar I guess that is what they are in my pond I need to get rid of them any suggestions
    Good luck on your jugging

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    It's a shame they didn't have that record breaking fish weighed and measured.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Good start on thread I need help on also I cannot help you but maybe other BS can help us both I have needle nose gar I guess that is what they are in my pond I need to get rid of them any suggestions

You don't REALLY need to eradicate them unless there are an overabundance, but if there is and it's a landlocked pond, your best bet is to fish for them under a cork. Needle nose are generally smaller so use smaller hooks. An stay with the chunked perch or bass, etc. Pond gar tend to feed on the top or near top.

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    seriously not exaggerating on the fish, it was tied up around its "neck" so that its head was level with the hoop and its caudal fin was laying flat on the ground and no the goal was not lowered, it was an amazing animal. their only concern was all the balls they were going to get out if it lol.

so how long should the line from the jug to the hook be??

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    seriously not exaggerating on the fish, it was tied up around its "neck" so that its head was level with the hoop and its caudal fin was laying flat on the ground and no the goal was not lowered, it was an amazing animal. their only concern was all the balls they were going to get out if it lol.

so how long should the line from the jug to the hook be??

Depends on the depth of the water. 1-2 feet should be sufficient.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Running jugs is alright but . . .

Bowfishing FTW

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

Had to de-snout a few to get em to fit in a 120qt ice chest.

Last edited:

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La

Try a top water bait, with frayed nylon cord hung from the rear hook. They wont be able to let go when their teeth get hung in the nylon.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Last edited:

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    we have a fresh water forum? :eek3:

we always used the same stuff we used for gators, nylon rope and a big ass hook. i cant remember the number of hook. pulling up a thin line without gloves can/will cut into your hand. spray paint the jugs neon orange or something to help you find them better too

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    Use tarred trotline string. Line from jug to bottom, tie on a weight like a railroad spike or heavy bolt. double the line near the jug and tie a knot to make a loop that is arms length. The push the end of the loop through the eye of the hook (need a large eyed hook) and pass the hook through that loop. And you're set

Top Bottom