Just bought 1400 rounds of 44 mag and looking for revolver recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    Wow....you guys are the best! I have posted on other forums and haven't gotten one reply! I think I am quitting all those other forums and sticking with bayoushooter and your advices. Thank you all for your opinions and some even offered weapons for sale. Let me take into count all this info and get ready to make a decision!

......................bobby

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Wow, you'd think my S&W 629 that I've been shooting every load under the sun in couldn't possibly do what it's done by reading what people say in forums.

I own a 629. It's probably 12 years old now. I shoot Commercial hot loads, mid loads, and .44 spcl's. It loves them all, still rock solid too. My personal customer service experience with Ruger was terrible and I have no faith in their product, nor their ability to fix a problem when sent in for warranty. Buy what makes you happy.
    the smith can shoot any commercial loads without issue, although I wonder about some of the loads by buffalo in any of them. I believe the comments on hot loads here applies to handloads.
    Recoil on a .44 mag is proportionate to the weight and length of the gun and the grip. A good rubber combat grip can make a huge difference.

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Ruger or Smith would be my preference with smith being first. Smith and Wesson revolvers have a feel of awesomeness IMHO. The Alaskan the way it is built "pretty hefty gun" really isn't as bad as you would think in .44. Now the .454 version..... Different beast all together.

Corvette Racer

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I have had a Super Blackhawk with a 10" barrell for 30 years and I love it. Only complaint is its single action. Would have bought the Super Redhawk if it had been available then. Its gotten to the point that 44 MAG is too expensive to shoot at paper, so I use 44 SPL for that.

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have had a Super Blackhawk with a 10" barrell for 30 years and I love it. Only complaint is its single action. Would have bought the Super Redhawk if it had been available then. Its gotten to the point that 44 MAG is too expensive to shoot at paper, so I use 44 SPL for that.

Thank you sir! I want a DA revolver if I want one. Actually I bought 800 of the 44 Magnum and the remainder of the 1400 rounds are 44 specials.

.....................bobby

Last edited:

NickelPython357

Revolverist
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Model 29

Love My Model 29-8. Just recently bought the Rosewood factory style grips.
    PICT0004.jpg
    I don`t suppose you will be selling any of that ammo?

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    I have a ruger super redhawk 44 mag with 9.5" barrel and love it! Recoil is no problem with even the "Hot" loads. It's a pleasure to shoot and very accurate too!

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    NP 357,

I would, but my best friend just asked to buy 1/2 of the ammo tonite when we were shooting at Diamond Shooting Range from me and I told him I would. Sorry sir. And thank you for your advice.

..........bobby

Last edited:

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    Sorry for my revolver ignorance, but here it goes anyway. Im not sure what its called but I LOVE the look of the flat/fuller barrel like the raging bull. What is that called anyway? I know there are better models out there, its was the first that came to mind.
    A nice trapper would also be a good addition considering you have so much ammo now!

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    Sorry for my revolver ignorance, but here it goes anyway. Im not sure what its called but I LOVE the look of the flat/fuller barrel like the raging bull. What is that called anyway? I know there are better models out there, its was the first that came to mind.
    A nice trapper would also be a good addition considering you have so much ammo now!

Do you mean the M44 Taurus Tracker??? I love the look of the Raging Bull also!

....................bobby

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans

I think you're talking about the full barrel underlug. Most modern revolvers have that nowadays.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My favorite platform for 44mag is the Desert Eagle... 9 shots of full power 44 that shoots like a 45 auto. Cannot run 44spl in it, or weak 44mag either. That is not a detractor to me.

I also have an Alaskan, couple for 29s, couple of 629s, a Dan Wesson, and have had a redhawk, raging bull, super blackhawk, and a few other in 44 that I am forgetting.

Never cared for single action guns, the grips just feel weird. The redhawk was made well, but not as well as a smith. The ragin bull was nice, for the price, but not up to the quality of the smith either. The triggers are much better on the smiths, IMO. The alaskan is fun to shoot. The Dan Wesson is a Dan Wesson, completely different animal!

44mag is too much for recoil sensitve check signers who can only order small drinks cause a large weighs too much. The rest of us do not have any issues with it.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville

What you are describing is an integral barrel and shroud, with a heavy underlug. The Raging Bull is a nice shooting .44 with all that weight.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I added some pics in post #2. The 44 Mag love is strong in this here thread. Good stuff!

and +1 on the full under lug wheel guns, it adds a great look.

Top Bottom