Just bought a model 66

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    At the gun show last weekend I picked up a used Smith and Wesson model 66 2.5 inch. It is in great shape, tight cylinder lockup, no lawyer lock nonsense, and I plan to use it as a carry gun. There are some things that I want some input on, though.

First, I've heard about K-frames and issues with forcing cone erosion if you shoot too many magnums. I've also heard that if you're going to shoot magnums, the heavier bullets (eg. 158 grain) are easier on the forcing cone. What is the scoop on this? I plan to shoot mostly .38s at the range with a few magnums just so I don't forget about the recoil difference, and I'm planning on working on a slightly reduced power load for self defense purposes for less recoil and muzzle blast. I have some 140 grain bullets that I have yet to use. Are those a good choice, or should I stick to 158 grain bullets?

Secondly, I want to get some new grips for it. It has the factory rubber grips, but they are pretty big and not so great feeling anyway. I want something along the lines of the hogue bantam size grips in wood, or the classic slim panels, but it seems like suddenly there aren't many grips available online. Midway used to have like a million, now the selection is a little low. I also can't find any decently priced imitation mother-of-pearl grips, which I think would look pretty rad, maybe with a T-grip added to help fill my hand. Anyone have any suggestions for some good compact grips that will also look good?

Third, holster options. I currently carry a SIG 239 in a CrossBreed holster and I really like that, but I don't know if it will be as ideal for a non-flat revolver. Does anyone carry a revo in a crossbreed, and how do you like that setup?

Finally, the gun was previously owned by the state, which is probably why it was a decent deal, as the gun dealers can usually buy those pretty cheap. Thing is though, there is a sticker on the box that says "Department of Youth Development." I can't help but think WTF does the department of youth development even do, and why do they need to do it with guns? Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks fellas

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Model 64 S&W. Basically the same handgun in 38 special. You should take a look at the bang inc. grips for the K frame.

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=bft6nve8ighq6vaai307os6ua2

They're not real fat. They don't have those terrible finger grooves. They are a bit long though as I grip very high on revolvers. But the bottom of the grip gives your off hand lots of space to lock in and control the trigger pull. I also have them on my N Frame for competition. I met Jerry at a couple of matches. He gave me a phone number to direct line into S&W for a part I needed. He said to tell them, "Jerry told me to call and gave me this number." I don't know who I spoke to exactly but stuff got done in a hurry. Before giving me the number he said, "Good choice on grips." Nice guy all the way around and a quality person to represent gun owners.

Dave

Last edited:

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At the gun show last weekend I picked up a used Smith and Wesson model 66 2.5 inch. It is in great shape, tight cylinder lockup, no lawyer lock nonsense, and I plan to use it as a carry gun. There are some things that I want some input on, though.

This was the first handgun I purchased and am so regretful that I let it go as a trade in.

Back in the 90's, I didn't have a clue on what I had done. I had bought it new for $329 and now I don't think M66 could be had for less than $600.

TK

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    I have a Model 66-2 which I bought new in 1986 with a six inch barrel. A couple of years ago I came accross a set of stag horn grips for it. No pun intended, but it looks bad to the bone. Welcome to the 66 Club.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    This was the first handgun I purchased and am so regretful that I let it go as a trade in.

Back in the 90's, I didn't have a clue on what I had done. I had bought it new for $329 and now I don't think M66 could be had for less than $600.

TK

I picked this one up for $460 at the gun show. Larry's guns had two more for $475 I think.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have a Model 64 S&W. Basically the same handgun in 38 special. You should take a look at the bang inc. grips for the K frame.

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=bft6nve8ighq6vaai307os6ua2

They're not real fat. They don't have those terrible finger grooves. They are a bit long though as I grip very high on revolvers. But the bottom of the grip gives your off hand lots of space to lock in and control the trigger pull. I also have them on my N Frame for competition. I met Jerry at a couple of matches. He gave me a phone number to direct line into S&W for a part I needed. He said to tell them, "Jerry told me to call and gave me this number." I don't know who I spoke to exactly but stuff got done in a hurry. Before giving me the number he said, "Good choice on grips." Nice guy all the way around and a quality person to represent gun owners.

Dave

I've been interested in getting grips like this for my 6" 686, which I use just for target purposes. For the concealed gun, though, I want some shorter grips, because I very often carry IWB with just a t-shirt covering it, so the shorter the grip the better. And I actually like finger grooves, but I can see why people don't. They usually fit my fingers pretty well, but if you don't have skinny fingers like me it would be a pain.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have the same gun.

I took it to the range with some different ammo and decided .357 rounds were too much for me.

I don't remember which rounds I tried but the kick and muzzle blast were a handful.

Ended up using +P.

My more than a handful might be OK for you.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have the same gun.

I took it to the range with some different ammo and decided .357 rounds were too much for me.

I don't remember which rounds I tried but the kick and muzzle blast were a handful.

Ended up using +P.

My more than a handful might be OK for you.

I've shot a 2 inch model 19 with full bore magnums before, so I have an idea of how it will handle. I don't think it is too much recoil wise, but what worries me more is the enormous fireball of unburned powder out of the muzzle. I think I am going to make up a 140 grain reduced-power load, halfway between full .357 and .38+P. I have a box of 100 Hornady FTP 140 grain bullets that I have yet to use, so I think I'll work from there.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've been interested in getting grips like this for my 6" 686, which I use just for target purposes. For the concealed gun, though, I want some shorter grips, because I very often carry IWB with just a t-shirt covering it, so the shorter the grip the better. And I actually like finger grooves, but I can see why people don't. They usually fit my fingers pretty well, but if you don't have skinny fingers like me it would be a pain.

Do what you want but here's some food for thought. Jerry doesn't put finger grooves on his handguns b/c when he's competing and the handgun is coming out quickly. I understand he doesn't like the grooves b/c in a hurry you can't always get them lined up with your hand. When they're not right you got problems with quick accurate shooting. For target I might consider finger grooves but for a handgun to be employed quickly I wouldn't.

As I said do what you want. It doesn't make any difference to me.

Dave

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have a Model 19, is the 66 club exclusive or for all Combat Magnum owners? Haha.

I would have preferred a nickel model 19, but you just don't see them that much anymore, and if you do, they are pricey. I'm going to use it as a carry gun anyway, so I guess stainless is more practical.

Top Bottom