K98 Mauser "BNZ 43", --- Need Assistance with Value!$?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBMustangGT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Harahan, La
    I have a friend (not very computer literate), who recently came into some random guns and is only keeping what calibers he stocks currently; with that said, one rifle he is looking to re-home is a German K98 Mauser (8mm). From pictures I took and have seen, the #'s seem to be matching and was produced in Steyr Austria in 1944 from the little research I've done. Rifle is BNZ - 43 marked, supposedly a Nazi contract gun?, with receiver and barrel marked with Iron eagle & Swastika. The internet values range quite drastically and He is not looking to screw anyone on this. This gun is all original, no refinishing and comes with original sling.Now, I ask you gentlemen, what would a realistic value be on this rifle. Also, any cool information on the gun is appreciated. (Location: Hammond)

121baiw.jpg
    [/IMG]

r2vthf.jpg

rvvkuh.jpg

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The difference in price between matching and non matching is great. To sell a k98 as matching you'll have to take it apart and validate that it is indeed all matching. I haven't bought a k98 in a while, but a non matching bnz in good working condition with an un pitted bore is probably 5 to 700. A matching bnz considerably more. Others more knowledgeable may have a better feel for current prices.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    It's a Russian Capture gun from the looks of it and as such $375-575, with the BNZs bringing on the high end.

Quick clues are the early butt plate and solid wood stock on what should be a Kreigs modell late war, the heavy red russian varnish on what should have been a lightly oiled stock. the purpling of the russian dip blue on the receiver and failure of the same to adhere uniformly to the phosphate finish barrel.

But I don't advise 'restoring it'. It will only be worth less.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    It's a Russian Capture gun from the looks of it and as such $375-575, with the BNZs bringing on the high end.

Quick clues are the early butt plate and solid wood stock on what should be a Kreigs modell late war, the heavy red russian varnish on what should have been a lightly oiled stock. the purpling of the russian dip blue on the receiver and failure of the same to adhere uniformly to the phosphate finish barrel.

But I don't advise 'restoring it'. It will only be worth less.
    This. One pretty good indicator of a Russian Capture is the missing lock screws for the trigger guard and magazine plate. I have yet to see a RC that actually had those screws. ( I was able to locate some surplus screws with the same arsenal proof mark/code to put back on my ce 42.)

GBMustangGT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Harahan, La
    Thanks again guys for the info; I can guarantee this beut will NOT be refinished; I'm just contemplating whether I should buy it myself and convert it into a hunting rifle as is. I do enjoy a sweet bolt as this is....

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    If it was mine, I'd still strip and refinish the stock. Mine had that same crappy lacquer on it, and after a little elbow grease, the stock turned much more interesting. All kinds of markings and proof stamps showed up.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    in years to come the presence of that crappy russian varnish will be a value plus factor in value and collectability. A 'restored' example which has had historical significance stripped from it will be on the bottom of the heap along with sporterized examples next to the parts bin.

Top Bottom