Keltec PF9 thoughts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Hey Yale, thanks for clearing that up man. I was thinking you HAD to carry whatever style you trained with or something so I've been looking at semi-autos only. This will definitely open some new doors for me. I might still end up with a semi, but I'm definitely going to take another look at some wheel guns..starting right now

Last edited:

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    Hey Cottonmouth, I tell my students to check both incase there is any issue. I carry glocks with the chamber full. the glock has 3 safeties on the gun. As far as an external safety, I don't recommend my students carry a gun with an external safety because if may get them killed if they are not trained enough to disengage the safety on the draw. To me, disengaging a external safety is a fine motor skill which you lose when the SHTF. If someone if proficient with say a "1911" style gun, by all means carry a 1911 with an external safety.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    Cottonmouth,
    The Kel-Tec PF9 is one of my main cc guns. It splits time between pocket carry (http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/back-pocket.php) and IWB carry (Southern Sidekick, http://rgrizzleleather.com/pricingandordering.html). The Southern Sidekick is a nice holster, but if I had it to do over, I'd look at an IWB holster w/ a single clip that is offset from the body of the gun, like this model....http://woolfegunleather.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1&products_id=10. It conceals very easily w/ an IWB holster. It's ok for pocket carry w/ certain pants, especially cargo pants/shorts.

I understand your concern carrying a gun that has no external safety in a condition where it has a round in the chamber. Nevertheless, I confidently carry my PF-9 just like that. Given the long, double action only trigger pull and a quality holster that keeps the trigger protected at all times, you'll be okay. If you remain concerned, carry the gun w/ an empty chamber until you become confident in it (realizing, of course, how you're giving yourelf some limitations....)

If you buy one and shoot it enough to become comfortable w/ it, I bet you'll enjoy it!

The PF-9 is a fine gun for cc. Yes, it's not real pretty and there have been reports of reliablility issues (although mine's been just fine). Break it in well, use a firm hold and use quality ammo and you should be okay. The Kel-Tec website mentioned previously has a lot of useful info, including some tricks that can make your KT more reliable. I did the "fluff and buff" treatment myself before shooting my PF-9. Yes, the PF-9 has a rather "snappy" recoil, but it's by no means objectionable.

Top Bottom