Kisatchie National Forest OC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    My friends and I are planning to go on a hiking/camping trip on the Wild Azalea trail in the Kisatchie National Forest this weekend. I plan to OC my .357 revolver, "just in case" (as if I have to justify anything to you guys).

I know that under regular state law OC is fine, and there is hunting allowed in the national forest, but I don't know if there are any special laws or regulations that might prohibit OC of a handgun there. I have a CCW permit, so I could always just do that, but OC would be much more comfortable.

In short, is anyone aware of anything I might need to know about carrying in Kisatchie National Forest?

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    If it is considered a WMA by state of LA, its a no go. No carry allowed in WMA's. Interesting fact, a WLF agent informed me that under currrent law, technically you are not allowed to even have a loaded pistol in your vehicle while on a wma.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If it is considered a WMA by state of LA, its a no go. No carry allowed in WMA's. Interesting fact, a WLF agent informed me that under currrent law, technically you are not allowed to even have a loaded pistol in your vehicle while on a wma.

The above info is not correct. The law was changed in 2010.
    RS 56:1691
    §1691. Possession of firearms

A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may possess or transport such firearm within the boundaries of a state park, state historic site, state preservation area, wildlife management area, or wildlife refuge.

Acts 2010, No. 790, §1.

National parks fall under the Department of Interior. They also changed their rules to allow "Concealed Carry" only if the states allow it. You also can't enter a federal building on these properties. I do not believe they allow open carry.

Edit:
    36 CFR Sec. 2.4, Weapons, Traps and Nets
    (h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable Federal law.

Last edited:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I don't see how the no guns in WMA thing can be true, considering they all allow hunting and sherburne has a shooting range on it.

Also, there is a difference I'm pretty sure between a national park and a national forest. National parks are governed by fed law, but I think national forests are governed by state.

gotta hate this confusing ****.

Top Bottom