Krylon removal- is it possible?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beckys_man

Trying2Behave
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    NOLA
    I purchased a rifle that somebody decided to improve with a "Krylon camo finish" however I really prefer to un-do if that is possible?
    The gun in question is a Remington 700 bolt-action with matte black finish and synthetic stock; can the paint be removed from both the metal and stock and the scope without permanent damage if I am careful enough & patient enough?
    Feedback from you guys is appreciated!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    MEK - try this in a small spot first, it can damage some plastics but I think it is pretty gun stock safe. I don't know if you are going to get the paint off and keep the original finish, you would probably need to get it refinished.

That in mind

Media blasting works great.

Brake cleaner will remove a lot of paints also.

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    brake cleaner should work with a little patience and light scrubbing... honestly once its all removed, this sounds like a fun duracoat job waiting to happen

bayoushooter

Rating - 98.6%
    72   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I bought a mak90 like that.. take all small parts and submerge them in a thin pan of paint thinner. After about 5 minutes throw on some laytex gloves and start scrubbing with a tooth brush. It will remove everything, just let it soak, and scrub everything. The finish may look a little chapped/dry when ur done but some oil will take care of that, good luck.

Last edited:

BayouArms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    TruStrip from Lauer Custom Weaponry or Brake Cleaner with some brushing may work. You can always sandblast and refinish.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    MEK - try this in a small spot first, it can damage some plastics but I think it is pretty gun stock safe. I don't know if you are going to get the paint off and keep the original finish, you would probably need to get it refinished.

That in mind

Media blasting works great.

Brake cleaner will remove a lot of paints also.

Brake fluid does a job on paint. Probably not good on the stock. Spray some krylon on something you dont care about, and see what works best before putting any thing on you rifle.

Last edited:

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I've used acetone and/or mineral spirits before.

But, as I write this I remember that the last stock I did was an "accustock" on a Savage 11 long range hunter. This stock comes with a synthetic stock with a rubber (latex?) coating and, I might add, is about the only drawback to this firearm and is somewhat infamous for peeling.

What I did was basically rubbed and sanded the rubber stuff off, sanded the seems where the "halves" of the stock meet, and then hit it with one coat of Krylon primer followed by 2 coats of Krylon "camoflage". For a shade tree gunsmith job, it came out pretty nice.

Good Luck,
    Marc Price

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Make Sure you WEAR GLOVES

1q0xjtakptikz9d4wuao.jpg

Available almost everywhere in the House Cleaning Section of your LOCAL Hardware/ Grocery Business

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Brake fluid does a job on paint. Probably not good on the stock. Spray some krylon on something you dont care about, and see what works best before putting any thing on you rifle.

I've also started using Brake FLUID on firearms to remove paint. Brake cleaner and other solvents chew up the plastic - not at all with the fluid.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    As a qualifier, I feel the need to differentiate between synthetic stocks and wood stocks.

For wood I use a product called Kutzit - (kinda spendy I think I paid ~ $25 last time I bought a gallon) - will remove anything this side and including old lead based enamel without raising the grain or drying out the wood (for those of you who have been sparred, lead based paint can be a real pain). Even fragile wood pieces! Literally, (wear gloves) brush on Kutzit, let sit 5-10 min, flush off with additional product / brush. Really works great - then sand, stain, sand, finish - repeat sand / finish coats till you arrive at the finish you want.

**take your time, enjoy!**

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Mek for the metal parts. Oil heavily afterwords as it'll remove ALL oil and ill rust fast.

Brake fluid for the stock sounds good, tho I've never tried it.

dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    for a synthetic stock i use nail polish remover and when all the krud and paint is gone i follow with a non menthol shaving cream to rehydrate the plastic... works wonders on old vietnam era m16s.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    a couple thoughts...

MEK will destroy plastic whereas Acetone won't.

If you decide to try brake cleaner, I'd go with non-chlorinated to avoid having to detail strip it to ensure it's all gone/evaporated, unless of course you already have.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    If I may make a suggestion...

Use the MEK to remove the paint from your metal. As far as the paint on the plastic, just clean it real good to make sure there isn't any loose or flaking paint. Paint over that with a can of Rustoleum Bumper & Trim Paint. It will be a semi gloss black paint that adheres to plastic very well. I just recently did this with some of my black trim plastic on my ATV and it looks like new plastic. It does not scratch very easily nor flake at all. To date that is.

Top Bottom