LA-based Online Series Features VATA Force-On-Force Training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    it made me strongly reconsider the laser as well honestly. I don't have a light mounted to my nightstand gun either, just a flashlight next to it. I need to get one mounted...

+1 to laser, its one less thing I have to worry about under duress.

I have been thinking about it was well. I can certainly see the benefits of how it could help an experienced shooter. What are your (anyone) thoughts on lasers on CC guns? I could it help you not have to shoot...possibly...?

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well, my opinion for CC has been this lately: if I'm in public, inaccuracy could either cost me my life or an innocent bystander theirs. Why NOT have the laser?

I'm welcome to more experienced input.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well, my opinion for CC has been this lately: if I'm in public, inaccuracy could either cost me my life or an innocent bystander theirs. Why NOT have the laser?

I'm welcome to more experienced input.

I would also like other input. At the gun show last weekend, I would say over half of the guns there had lasers. It made me wonder if they know something that I do not.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Its like hunting without a scope. Sure, doing so makes you super-hardcore badass. But ...why? lol.

I embrace technology. Say what you want, but You can bet your ass if Wyatt Earp was offered a laser sight he'd take it.

Greg Lapin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks for all the support. We're very happy with the series. Tom and Ryan at Gun Talk are class acts and put out a great product. It makes us very happy to know that the videos are giving folks at least something to think about.

On the laser, I can tell you this. For quite a while, a partner of mine had a Crimson Trace laser on his duty gun. We were known for getting into more sh*t than any other duo. I chased, fought, and scrapped with more bad guys during that time frame than I cared to, however, whenever he put 'Dat Beam' on the bad guys, they would stop and surrender. More often than not, when asked, they saw the laser and that was the reason they stopped. Like anything though, you have to be trained how to properly use it or it can work against you just the same.

Stay in the Fight,
    Greg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for all the support. We're very happy with the series. Tom and Ryan at Gun Talk are class acts and put out a great product. It makes us very happy to know that the videos are giving folks at least something to think about.

On the laser, I can tell you this. For quite a while, a partner of mine had a Crimson Trace laser on his duty gun. We were known for getting into more sh*t than any other duo. I chased, fought, and scrapped with more bad guys during that time frame than I cared to, however, whenever he put 'Dat Beam' on the bad guys, they would stop and surrender. More often than not, when asked, they saw the laser and that was the reason they stopped. Like anything though, you have to be trained how to properly use it or it can work against you just the same.

Stay in the Fight,
    Greg

So do you recommend it for us non LEO types? Also...thanks again for the awesome videos :)

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    my concern is CC with the laser. looks like im going holster-shopping again...

wife going to lose her mind.

I looked at some of the crimson trace lasers and a lot of them would not affect holsters too much. You could also replace the spring with a laser which would also alleviate said problem.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    Watched all the videos and then sent the link to my kids and their spouses. Also got the family (wife, daughter and husband, son and wife, and myself) to take a private group class with the VATA Group. It was the best money I spent in a long time. Keep up the good work Tom Gresham!!

Kent

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    A laser doesn't guarantee you a hit. You still have to press the trigger and follow through. A buddy of mine totally missed an IDPA target at 10 yards TWICE in a row with a .357 revolver and laser.

Greg Lapin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    So the question is, Do I recommend a laser for non-LEO types?

I wish I had an easy answer. Can a laser be a force multiplier? For some. I think a laser is a big help for those who can't get out and train a lot. What do I mean by a lot. If you shoot live fire 1-2 days a week and dry fire practice 2 days a week, I consider that a lot. It can also help the more 'Experienced' (old farts) with eye sight that may not be as good as it once was. As Teddy said, you still have to have proper fundamentals of marksmanship. A laser does allow one to forgo the sight picture fundamental for target focus, ie. laser. Does it build bad habits, yes, what happens when you become dependent and the laser doesn't work? Again, I'm not saying that it doesn't have it's benefits, it does and I've seen them first hand, but, just like a flashlight/weapon light, if used incorrectly it get can you killed as well. Do I recommend a laser? Yes, for some. Do I recommend proper instruction, training, and practice first, absolutely. Everything has pros and cons, we have to honestly look at our skill level (be honest, it won't get better in a gunfight), our usage, and our human factor (eye sight, natural night vision, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Stay in the Fight,
    Greg

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Pretty much what Greg said. A light is at least as important, and probably more so. Note that Greg and Destin have lights on their carry pistols.

I'm in the process of putting a Crimson Trace laser and their light (Light Guard) on my carry pistol. If you just add a CT Lasergrip, you don't need a new holster. Adding the Light Guard does require a new one, but they have holsters on their web site.

Some might be surprised to learn that Crimson Trace strongly states that a laser is not a substitute for iron sights. Learn and use your iron sights. Practice with them, even if you have a laser. But, there certainly are situations where having a laser is an asset.

All the stuff we carry is just tools. We have to master them, then stay sharp with them. The tool most often neglected is the mind, as we see in these videos.

We'll be releasing the last four episodes of this first season soon. We're already building the list of scenarios for next season. It's a lot of work to produce these, but I think the final product turned out well.

Hmmm. One that hasn't been mentioned --- piracy. Seriously. Security on a boat. On a lake, in the ocean . . .

As it turns out Greg and Destin have experience with that. The action in Lake Pontchartrain migt not be the same as off the coast of Somalia, but I bet we can learn something here.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Stumbled on this during last nights shift. Great stuff. I was actually happy to see they didn't sugar coat things (road rage video) and gave the "client" a real world visualization of reality, getting shot through the window. I find it common that people feel too comfy inside their vehicles.

Mike

Top Bottom