La. governor to give GOP response to Obama speech

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    La. governor to give GOP response to Obama speech

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will get another prominent GOP role later this month when he delivers the national Republican response to President Barack Obama's first speech to Congress.

Obama plans to speak to a joint session of the House and Senate on Feb. 24 about the problems facing the nation. The speech will be similar to a State of the Union address.

Jindal will give the Republican response in a nationally televised address from Baton Rouge immediately after Obama's speech, U.S. House and Senate Republican leaders announced Wednesday.

"Gov. Jindal embodies what I have long said: The Republican Party must not be simply the party of 'opposition,' but the party of better solutions," House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio said in a statement. "His stewardship of the state of Louisiana, dedication to reforming government and commitment to bringing forth new and innovative ideas make him a leader not just within the Republican Party, but in our nation as a whole."

Jindal wasn't immediately available for comment Wednesday.

The 37-year-old governor, who took office last year, has become increasingly prominent in a Republican Party struggling to reshape itself after a string of losses in the White House and Congress.

Jindal, the Oxford-educated son of Indian immigrants, regularly is mentioned as a potential 2012 or 2016 presidential contender, though he insists he is running for a second term in 2011 and has no plans to run for president.

As he raises money for his re-election bid, however, Jindal has traveled the country, including recent visits to Florida, North Carolina, Arkansas and Iowa — a state that would be key to a presidential campaign.

He has also gained attention on the national news circuit, where he has been repeatedly interviewed about what he calls the Republican Party's need to rework its message and return to its roots, and he is often cited by GOP leaders as the future of the party.

He's working his way there I think.

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Sounds like someone is getting groomed for a particular job. While I would hate to loose him as our Gov. I think he would do wonders for this country.

LAYNFRM

in the fire
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    central/pride
    Ought to tie any payments of State tax dollars the Saints get to performance.
    If they suck, they get nada!

then the saints owe us a lot of money for sucking for so long. they need to return what they have. i could give a **** less if the saints moved to a different state. it wouldn't bother me one bit.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Probably the single most expensive company that is solely owned and located in this state. Could be wrong probably am.

Good thing NASCAR Rednecks dont run this state we would be in real trouble then, if all they thought was to get rid of one of the largest revenue generating things in the area.

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    I LOVE BOBBY JINDAL

That's all I have to say. :o

I think Jindal is okay but he really lost my respect when he kept around the state income tax. He should have killed that while he had the chance. That would be 4-6% more in our pockets!

Get rid of the brake tags too. Just another one of many worthless taxes we pay. Florida got rid of theirs years back when the people finally realized its a joke.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    My dislike for Jindal stems back from his days at DHH. If you know anyone who is on Medicaid, ask them how much they are liking Jindal right now. One of my friends, who is disabled with NO functioning kidneys and is NOT a candidate for a transplant, now has to pay $430 every other week for ONE of his prescriptions! Before Jindal started dinking around with the State Medicaid funding, that particular prescription, along with many others, were paid for by the program! Now he has to pay close to $2,000 per month for his medications :mad:

ETA: I guess Jindal is going to go on record and say how he saved the State X dollars by revamping the Medicaid spending and he will be seen as a hero by those who were not impacted:rolleyes:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I think Jindal is okay but he really lost my respect when he kept around the state income tax. He should have killed that while he had the chance. That would be 4-6% more in our pockets!

Get rid of the brake tags too. Just another one of many worthless taxes we pay. Florida got rid of theirs years back when the people finally realized its a joke.

Something as large as that would have been a behemoth of a goal to acheive, especially early on. While I agree it should be done away with (it's driving lots of folks out of Louisiana), I don't know if it's a feasible thing for him to go after at the moment.

While I respect your opinion and I know I can't change it, I don't think that sort of an issue is a reasonable cause to lose respect for someone. Kind of like saying "I lost respect for Bush when he didn't get rid of the federal income tax." The state income tax is the largest line item source of revenue for the state, and is more than a few penstrokes from elimination.

There was a push to make brake tags last 2 years awhile ago, but that's gone :P

Top Bottom