La pitbull laws?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Anyone know of any recent laws regarding pitbulls? My father in law mentioned to me today he heard something about it on the radio today, but unsure of exactly what was said, but he thinks they said something about "10" ft fence. Cant seem to find anything on google from phone. Anyone know? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Don't know of any La. criminal laws regarding pit bulls. I know there are some pretty stringent civil laws regarding vicious dogs.
    A lot of parishes have ordinances. In St. Charles, you must register pit bulls, have them micro chipped, and animal control authorities must approve the enclosure in which they will be kept.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    There may be local community laws, but the only state-wide anything I know of… and even then it's not a law… certain insurance companies will not insure certain dogs.

Or at least, so saith our agent 4-5 years ago. So take that with a grain of salt.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I wasnt sure if it was just a certain parish or not, was just curious. I'd hate for this viscious dog not to be secured enough.
    D0EE6D84-80AC-4659-ABE4-AD91EA5CFD6F-170-000000259211763D.jpg

If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. Thanks

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I know what a .45 cal bullet would accomplish.......The only good thing a pitbull is good for is hog hunting....my one and only exception !!!!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I know what a .45 cal bullet would accomplish.......The only good thing a pitbull is good for is hog hunting....my one and only exception !!!!

The show dog lines have been bred into a great dog, unfortunatly most are backyard bred and worse bred for a mean dog to fight. The problem is not the dog, it is the people. 100 years ago bulldogs were just as wild and mean as pit bulls, now they are one of the most docile breeds. My bulldog can chew through tires but will not bite. I can put my hand in her mouth with food in it and she won't bite down.

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Punish the deed, not the breed. Pitbulls have a bad rep because of idiots, not themselves. My nrighbors pit is awesome around his kid, and both of mine...

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

You're ignorant, and that's awful. Livingston Parrish Humane Society has half a dozen wonderful pitbulls. I should know since they are currently one room away from me.
    Here's a pit mix for you
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350822456.595732.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350822495.179532.jpg
    Just in case the hound dog face throws you off, here's a more "pit-ish" photo:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350822571.163668.jpg

When I get home tonight I'm going to upload a pic of every pit we have in our shelter. Pits make some of the very best dogs. It's a tragedy when an owner ruins one and we have to put him down.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

I apologize, you must have mis understood my question. NOT looking for ignorant comments from the peanut gallery. Was simply asking about the law. Thanks guys I will read a little more when I have access to a desktop.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Damn ironman I'm not going to mention what I saw two accomplish that's a old dead horse anyway.

As far as I know my real estate agent told me home owners insurance won't cover them or rottweilers I don't know how true it is and both of my goof balls aren't any of the above.

Besides people running up and petting them then recoil when you tell them they are a pit I always get a kick out of that when walking with my buddies pit. "She's so cute what is she" priceless...

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    The show dog lines have been bred into a great dog, unfortunatly most are backyard bred and worse bred for a mean dog to fight. The problem is not the dog, it is the people. 100 years ago bulldogs were just as wild and mean as pit bulls, now they are one of the most docile breeds. My bulldog can chew through tires but will not bite. I can put my hand in her mouth with food in it and she won't bite down.

Same experiance here. Every now and then you'll get one that's messed up in the head though, like any of the more aggressive natured dog breeds, but it can literlly happen with any breed. I've been bitten more times from little POS yappy dogs than I have from any pit. We have one and the 1 year old sits on him and he just licks her and wags his tail. Does not mess with the chickens either. Put your hand in his food, he'll do nothing. Had to train him though. It has everything to do with the human training or raising it.

Top Bottom