LA.'s "Keep & Bear Arms Amendment" To Be Heard Tuesday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    “The right of individuals to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, transfer, and use arms for defense of life and liberty, and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and shall not be denied or infringed, and any restriction on this right must be subjected to strict scrutiny.”

2 problems I see:

1) "legitimate purposes" You can drive a truck through that loophole. Its ambiguity means that by redefining "legitimate purposes" they can do anything they want.

2) "Strict Scrutiny" What does that mean? Just think about how much "Advise and Consent" has been twisted, and you see what I mean.

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    The core of the protection is the defense of "life" and "liberty." The "legitimate purposes is not a "loophole." Rather, it's a means of broadening the core and scope of the right to protect things like arms training, competition, historical preservation, hunting, etc.

Strict scrutiny is the highest level of judicial review and is reserved for the most fundamental of rights. To pass strict scrutiny, the legislature must have passed the law to further a "compelling governmental interest," and must have narrowly tailored the law to achieve that interest. In plain terms, there is not a higher level of review and the burden of proof is on the state.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    By the way, I'm NRA's lobbyist in Louisiana (also handle Minnesota and Iowa). I'm working on this bill and a number of others this session. Working to stop quite a few anti-gun bills too. You can follow me on twitter at @ChrisLRager. My email address: crager@nrahq.org
    Thanks for working with this issue personally for Louisiana's people's rights.

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    By the way, I'm NRA's lobbyist in Louisiana (also handle Minnesota and Iowa). I'm working on this bill and a number of others this session. Working to stop quite a few anti-gun bills too. You can follow me on twitter at @ChrisLRager. My email address: crager@nrahq.org
    Thank you for your efforts sir.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The core of the protection is the defense of "life" and "liberty." The "legitimate purposes is not a "loophole." Rather, it's a means of broadening the core and scope of the right to protect things like arms training, competition, historical preservation, hunting, etc.

Strict scrutiny is the highest level of judicial review and is reserved for the most fundamental of rights. To pass strict scrutiny, the legislature must have passed the law to further a "compelling governmental interest," and must have narrowly tailored the law to achieve that interest. In plain terms, there is not a higher level of review and the burden of proof is on the state.

So what happens 20 years from now in an anti-gun environment when they decide to redefine "legitimate purposes" to mean competition and nothing else?

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    So would this new wording allow us to
    Carry in a Gun Free School Zone
    Carry in a bar or resturant which serves alcohol for on site consumption
    Carry in polling places
    Carry in government buildings
    Carry in/at parades or fairs where a government permit was issued
    Carry on university or vocational school campuses
    Carry at public sporting events
    Carry on Corps of Engineer maintained levees or other properties
    ?????
    Our current state amendment Article 1 Section 11, seems pretty cut and dry
    "The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person."
    Even so there plenty of places where we can't legally carry at the moment and we need to clear them up.
    Instead of trying to reword the thing why don't we work on thelling them "What part of SHALL NOT BE ABRIDGED don't you understand?"
    Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your efforts but I question whether this is even a fight which needs to be fought or if it will do any more than our current language.

Last edited:

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Defense of "life" and "liberty" are the core of the right. Adding the term "legitimate purposes," provides an even broader protection (scope) -- outside of "life" and "liberty." We would both agree that "competitions" should be protected already, however, given how Heller and McDonald have been misconstrued, I would want as much protection as possible, and at the very least, be able to argue that "competitions" are a legitimate purpose to protect.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Defense of "life" and "liberty" are the core of the right. Adding the term "legitimate purposes," provides an even broader protection (scope) -- outside of "life" and "liberty." We would both agree that "competitions" should be protected already, however, given how Heller and McDonald have been misconstrued, I would want as much protection as possible, and at the very least, be able to argue that "competitions" are a legitimate purpose to protect.

Why is Chicago still thwarting those people's efforts to arm themselves, and how are they getting away with it?

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Steve,

Appreciate your efforts in defending Louisianans rights. I would argue that some of the places you listed could be overturned under current Second Amendment analysis. Generally speaking, if Heller and McDonald are overturned, Louisiana does not have much in the way of state-level protection. The language will absolutely give more protection than the current provision. For instance, simply removing the legislature's ability to ban the concealed carry of firearms by law-abiding citizens is an improvement. Deeming the right as "fundamental" is also a necessary improvement -- triggers a heightened level of judicial review. Clarifying that "bear" means "carry" -- open or concealed. That's just a few.

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    So what happens 20 years from now in an anti-gun environment when they decide to redefine "legitimate purposes" to mean competition and nothing else?

Good point.

Serious question: can anyone think of an "illegitimate legal" purpose?

Wouldn't being legal be enough?

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Good point.

Serious question: can anyone think of an "illegitimate legal" purpose?

Wouldn't being legal be enough?

The same would be true for "legal" as well. The point is that including "legitimate purposes" avails Louisianans to MORE protected actions -- rather than a narrowed list that has the potential for being interpreted as exhaustive or limited.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I sincerely hope you've already gathered the votes to pass this, because if not, then you've pointed the way for the anti-gunners in this state if this fails to pass.

I appreciate your efforts for us, by the way; but I am concerned that this will simply lead to legislators adding a "finding" statement, as is the case often enough in national legislation, to make whatever they want be a legitimate and compelling state interest in whatever ban they choose.

Also, Steve and the rest of us in LOCAL have worked very hard for the past few years spreading the word to local officials about our rights. We've gotten some local laws changed, and we've persuaded more than a few legislators to drop proposed bills, all by pointing out Article 1, Section 11, in its current, simple state. No one has, as yet, brought up the Supreme Court case you have cited above.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I didn't get to see what happened in the committee meeting this morning. How did it go?

Well I think this guy voted; yeah!

Senator Fred Mills supports SB 303.

Yvette T. Greig
    Legislative Assistant to
    State Senator Fred Mills, Jr.
    District 22
    1010 Martin Street
    Parks, LA 70582
    Office: (337) 845-4240
    Fax: (337) 845-4095
    Email: millsf@legis.la.gov

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Well I think this guy voted; yeah!

Senator Fred Mills supports SB 303.

Yvette T. Greig
    Legislative Assistant to
    State Senator Fred Mills, Jr.
    District 22
    1010 Martin Street
    Parks, LA 70582
    Office: (337) 845-4240
    Fax: (337) 845-4095
    Email: millsf@legis.la.gov

I appreciate everyone's help. The bill passed the committee by a vote of 6-1. The Senate will likely take up the bill on the floor next week. Please contact your state Senator!!

Top Bottom