labor law/payroll question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    If anyone reading is a lawyer familiar with labor laws/practices: This question is moot to the extent that it won't affect me, but I'm wondering if a threat coming down the paygrade pipeline is valid or would be a violation of labor law if acted on.

I work for a municipality, and participate in the offered insurance package. I'm no expert, but it has always been my understanding that the city is "self-insured" and the named company on our cards is simply a benefits management company that oversees the administration of benefits on behalf of the city. The company that coordinates our benefits recently partnered with a local hospital and has initiated a voluntary employee wellness program which in summary can reduce your premium if you participate in a health screening to include some bloodwork and complete quarterly health challenges through some online program. For the projected amount of savings, I could work two more details in a year and cover the difference without jumping through their hoops, so I didn't bother attending the screenings. It was clearly noted that if you didn't attend a screening by a certain date you would be ineligible to participate and receive any savings until the next year, so I'm a big boy and read and understood that and chose not to participate - kind of like when they have an open enrollment period and they notify you and if you miss the cut-off date you have to wait until the next year to change things. No problem.

After the dates had passed, they set another round and sent out a letter stating they noted I had not attended, reminding me of the requirements to be completed should I wish to participate, the new deadline, and a waiver form they wished signed and returned if I did not wish to participate. Due to scheduling and the notice being put in my box at work rather than mailed to my house, I received this on the last day available. Still didn't wish to participate, and since the last scheduled screening time had passed, I considered the waiver a moot point and disregarded it.

Now I have received (again in my box at work) similar notice, again past the last screening date (I have been out on a short vacation stint), this time with a notification that the mayor has decreed that the next paycheck will be withheld from any employee not completing and returning the waiver if they choose not to participate.

It's not that I disregarded the waiver because of any personally held belief that I should not have to sign it, it just seemed unnecessary given the last posted date had already gone by. It's no skin off my back to sign and return the damned thing, but I take some umbrage with what seems like a strong-arm tactic by the city administration in a matter that the more I think about it really doesn't seem like it should even concern them, and question the legality of such action if carried out.

An employee's completion of such a form for such an issue has no bearing on their work performance or reaching any goal of operating the city. The monetary difference between participating or not would seem to me to only affect the city in regards to the dollar amount to withhold from the employee's check. As the issue of the waiver seems to be for the benefit management company to have on file proof someone chose to opt out of their program and knowingly waived participation rights until the next open period, it appears to me that any contention surrounding such would be a civil matter between the employee and the benefit management company and that the city wouldn't be an available target for any litigation should an employee raise an issue, unless that "self-insured" bit makes them somehow ropes them into the equation (again, I'm on expert on the mechanics of that end). Finally, it would seem to me that to withhold an employee's wages for such a thing would be improperly punitive.

If anyone reading deals with this kind of stuff and has some input regarding whether such a penalty would be appropriate or legal under labor laws, I'd appreciate a response. To reiterate, I have every intention of signing it if their knickers are in such a twist, but the tone of the threat to penalize monetarily over something like this really didn't sit well with me.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Not a lawyer, but I would think they could discipline or fire a person for non-compliance,
    but withholding a person's paycheck is a whole nuther thing. I'd bet that's illegal.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    You are worried about signing a waiver? How else do they prove you were offered the deal and declined to participate? My advice is to pick your battles. This one sounds like a no-win situation. File a civil service complaint and you might win, but he will still be the mayor making decisions on who get promoted and works details.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    in theory, they could make a case for some sort of admin. related non compliance or similar bs and suspend you without pay. Then civil service would later reverse it and you will get your $ back but its a lot of bs to go thru. If you work for nopd then you should know by now that the administration does not care about their actions being legal.

TTNKountze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    I would not worry about signing the waiver form. If you decline any employment benefit, a smart employer gets a waiver so the employee doesn't come back and claim they didn't get offered that benefit.

TTNKountze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    I should add two more points. First, the benefit management company and the city could be subject to claims. Most benefits issues fall under ERISA, in one way, shape, or form. Second, the NLRB and EEOC are looking hard at these types of programs and limiting how much can be expected of employees. There are so sorts of ADA and other issues associated with these wellness programs.

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Dear Kraut

As a former management consultant, one that has occasionally worked with other outside parties on labor related issues, it is my understanding that under federal law an employee's wages cannot be withheld for any reason so long as the employee has done the necessary (normal) work they are hired to do.

If so ordered by a court, wages can be garnered (such as for child support) but the actual wages due (less any garnishment) cannot be withheld and is due by its regular pay date. Failure to pay can result in penalties leveed on the payer as well as the actual amount due + interest.

Confirm this with a labor lawyer. Normally the first hour of consult is free. Good luck.

Last edited:

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Hey all,

Realized I didn't intro myself: Names Kevin. Raised in greater NAwlins area. Then over to Texico for a few years before heading out to Asia. Returned here following H Katrina.

Into guns, cooking/grillin', woodworking - newbie on all - plus outdoors and tech of any kind. Just bought an Akorn smoker; will see tomorrow how the brisket turns out. Just took up knifemaking.

Top Bottom