Lakes to swim in

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I guess you could go to False River and kinda just jump in...though it would be rather awkward with all of the boats around. The LSU Lakes are an option, although they are disgusting at best. Some people do swim in them despite the potential of gators and the likes.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Are there any within an hrs drive of BR ?

No boating just a nice clean place to swim and chill for the day.

LA is just full of mud-holes. Pick one. If you want what I think you're wanting, though, you really need to drive to Arkansas (closest). I worked on Lake Ouchita for a summer, and it is beautiful. Lake O' The Pines in E TX isn't horrible, though. Certainly better than many I have seen in LA.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Not to try and scare you off here as I'd be running to jump in before you, but be careful when jumping and diving down to make sure water doesn't get up your nose. There's a nasty organism called Naegleria fowleri that has caused some deaths over the past few years here in LA and other places. It isn't common and is usually found in water temps above 86 or so degrees I think (summer time) but it's EXTREMELY deadly. I did a research project on it in my Neuro-anatomy class and it's pretty scary.

Stepping off the box of soap now. Good luck finding some fun for yall!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yeh, I was kinda hoping for something closer.

The biggest thing I miss about Northern California this time of year is swimming.

Welcome to LA. There are lots of things you are going to miss, and many things you never wanted, which you will discover here. That aside, if you live in the southern part, there are some cool people, and the girls there look great and have a real personality, at least to this Shreveport captive's way of thinking.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Not to try and scare you off here as I'd be running to jump in before you, but be careful when jumping and diving down to make sure water doesn't get up your nose. There's a nasty organism called Naegleria fowleri that has caused some deaths over the past few years here in LA and other places. It isn't common and is usually found in water temps above 86 or so degrees I think (summer time) but it's EXTREMELY deadly. I did a research project on it in my Neuro-anatomy class and it's pretty scary.

Stepping off the box of soap now. Good luck finding some fun for yall!

What are the odds? I mean, we do potentially deadly things every day. Is the risk of this say, greater than an automotive fatality, or is it pretty rare?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Lake charles has a lake with beach areas, but it isnt an hour away. State parks are about your only option that I know of. Just about all of them that have water have a swimming area and beach. Fountainblue is nice, but I cant remember if there is a swimming area.Percy quin in ms is nice, but a little further than an hour.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Before Katrina, I lived in Venetian Isles.
    I swam in my "backyard" all the time.
    BTW, Lake Pontchartrain is swimmable.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Welcome to LA. There are lots of things you are going to miss, and many things you never wanted, which you will discover here. That aside, if you live in the southern part, there are some cool people, and the girls there look great and have a real personality, at least to this Shreveport captive's way of thinking.

Well, I've been here for 8 yrs almost. There are in fact lots and lots of things I miss. Millions of acres of public land to hunt on. Cold clear water. Camping (Without having to have AC to sleep)

I don't however miss the politics and the sheer amount of stupidity.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What are the odds? I mean, we do potentially deadly things every day. Is the risk of this say, greater than an automotive fatality, or is it pretty rare?

The odds are very very low, I read that there have been less than 100 reported deaths from Naegleria in the whole US over the past 80 years. Part of that is because it only feeds on brain matter and the only way for it to get up there is for you to snort or accidentally get water deep up your nose. Just swimming around and floating there is pretty much zero risk. But if you look hard enough it's probably found in every lake with little water movement around this time of year and usually near the surface where the water is warmest. The people that died in LA used the neti pots with tap water to clean their sinuses and swimming in local lakes and streams during July and August I believe.

As I said before, DON'T LET THIS KEEP YOU FROM HAVING FUN! Just keep it in mind when diving and boarding, especially with kids that aren't used to being under water and what not. The odds are extremely low, but it carries around a 97% mortality rate because there is no known cure for PAM (primary amebic meningoencephalitis) which it causes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom