Las Vegas police ambush...CHP civilian shoots it out with pair in Walmart

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This is the same thought process that may get these open carry activist shot as well...

RIP to the victims

Excellent Point.

How about this? These types of mass shootings seem to impart justification to do exactly that! How many licks of your ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins do you take before it's too late to react to an AR slinging nut job?

This seems to be a societal arms build up in it's Genesis.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    How about this? These types of mass shootings seem to impart justification to do exactly that! How many licks of your ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins do you take before it's too late to react to an AR slinging nut job?

Depends on (edit) a lot of things.

If his hand is on the grip, mine is too. I generally carry under an untucked dress shirt or button-down shirt, and I've got no problem stating that I've lifted my shirt over my grip on quite a few occasions in anticipation of someone about do be doing something stupid. Most often, its some open carry moron resting his fat hand on the grip of his pistol.

+1 to always sitting with your back to a wall, facing the entry.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Latest report I read was while the armed citizen was attempting to confront the male shooter, the wife came up behind and shot him from close range. It has not been reported whether or not the armed citizen fired his gun or not.

There's no right answer to the "should you or should you not pull your gun" question. Personally, I don't think the shooters went in Walmart to kill anyone. But that's a lot easier to say when you know the whole story. No way I'd Monday Morning QB the decision. I will say, carrying a gun gives you the ability to act, not a duty to act. I applaud someone trying to do something, but would just as easily understand if someone chose not to.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Latest report I read was while the armed citizen was attempting to confront the male shooter, the wife came up behind and shot him from close range. It has not been reported whether or not the armed citizen fired his gun or not.

There's no right answer to the "should you or should you not pull your gun" question. Personally, I don't think the shooters went in Walmart to kill anyone. But that's a lot easier to say when you know the whole story. No way I'd Monday Morning QB the decision. I will say, carrying a gun gives you the ability to act, not a duty to act. I applaud someone trying to do something, but would just as easily understand if someone chose not to.

well put.

my post stemmed from the apparently incorrect news that the duo yelled "everyone get out", and the CHP holder drew and engaged.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well it's worth thinking about for sure.

Guns don't make me nervous.
    People with guns don't make me nervous

It's not even OCing the Rifles that makes me nervous.

But carrying a Rifle in the Tactical Carry position....that would make me nervous.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Depends on (edit) a lot of things.

If his hand is on the grip, mine is too. I generally carry under an untucked dress shirt or button-down shirt, and I've got no problem stating that I've lifted my shirt over my grip on quite a few occasions in anticipation of someone about do be doing something stupid. Most often, its some open carry moron resting his fat hand on the grip of his pistol.

So if it's a pink dildo being slung, when does an unarmed person start to unfasten their pants? :p

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well it's worth thinking about for sure.

Guns don't make me nervous.
    People with guns don't make me nervous

It's not even OCing the Rifles that makes me nervous.

But carrying a Rifle in the Tactical Carry position....that would make me nervous.

I am starting to migrate to the camp that thinks these open carry rifle guys are more than just a minor inconvenience. And I don't want to be eating an ice cream cone with my family when one walks in; and have to sit there in a code orange awareness because of the visual. I'm trying to enjoy my ice cream.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I am starting to migrate to the camp that thinks these open carry rifle guys are more than just a minor inconvenience. And I don't want to be eating an ice cream cone with my family when one walks in; and have to sit there in a code orange awareness because of the visual. I'm trying to enjoy my ice cream.

its like the derps we saw on the chipotle picture. Carrying a gun does not make someone a criminal, but brandishing one is a crime.

Failing to understand the difference means you shouldn't be carrying, and you definitely shouldn't be the poster child for open carry.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    its like the derps we saw on the chipotle picture. Carrying a gun does not make someone a criminal, but brandishing one is a crime.

Failing to understand the difference means you shouldn't be carrying, and you definitely shouldn't be the poster child for open carry.

I'm specifically talking about OCing rifles! Rifles vs pistol = bad odds! I am almost positive I would NEVER support the prohibition of OCing a rifle if the debate comes up, but my ardent support of 2A at every turn is tepid right now because of the douches that do.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm specifically talking about OCing rifles! Rifles vs pistol = bad odds! I am almost positive I would NEVER support the prohibition of OCing a rifle if the debate comes up, but my ardent support of 2A at every turn is tepid right now because of the douches that do.

the chipotle nerds both had bubba'd up SKS's if i remember correctly.

Worn across the back - open carry.

Low ready - brandishing a firearm.

I'm as pro 2a as anyone, but when we are arguing from behind derps that want to be free to stick the barrel of a gun in a strangers face at lunch time, it's not an easy debate.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Kinda curious to what their plan was. Why would they choose walmart to post up and make a stand? Seems like it would take a long time to get everybody out of the building, if they did in fact tell everybody to get out, and even then, Walmart has more than 2 doors for police to enter. Just doesn't seems smart, but Im not claiming that these people where smart to begin with. Just seems odd.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Kinda curious to what their plan was. Why would they choose walmart to post up and make a stand? Seems like it would take a long time to get everybody out of the building, if they did in fact tell everybody to get out, and even then, Walmart has more than 2 doors for police to enter. Just doesn't seems smart, but Im not claiming that these people where smart to begin with. Just seems odd.

Maybe they thought they'd run around the (BIG) store
    and live as long as possible while shooting it out.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

judging by their remarks, they wanted an all out fire-fight with police. They weren't hiding.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    judging by their remarks, they wanted an all out fire-fight with police. They weren't hiding.

I think you are prob 100% right, as far as them wanting a fire fight. Just if I was crazy and wanted to shoot at police Id pick a place that I could shoot at them without getting popped in the back of the head from the deli exit is all.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand I am attempting to be logical in an illogical situation.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The fact that they took the officers' weapons and ammo, and headed to Walmart tells me they wanted to hunker down in there. I mean you basically get an unlimited supply of guns and ammo at your disposal. Apparently a shootout with police did take place in Walmart, but for some reason they decided to go ahead and off themselves.

Apparently they were sovereign citizen types, and possible meth heads. Sold everything they had to move to the Bundy Ranch during that fiasco, thinking it was going to be the start of the revolution. Even they realized they were nuts and kicked them out.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    How would you write that up? Law Reference?

The only reference I can find "Brandish" exactly is LRS 40:1382.2

(2) When the handgun is being carried, brandished, or displayed under circumstances that create a reasonable apprehension on the part of members of the public or a law enforcement official that a crime is being committed or is about to be committed.

Honestly? I'd probably ask my Sgt what to right it as, but shooting from the hip (pun alert)I'd go with aggravated assault with a firearm, since thats more loosely defined and seems a little more pertinent. It's also a misdemeanor (unless the firearm was discharged), so much less likely that the charge would be reduced.

If your gun is in your hand, and anyone in public says they felt threatened- you're in trouble. If I get there and its low-ready, you're in more trouble than you think.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom