leather conditioner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I have recently got back into nicer (Triple K, Glaco, etc) leather holsters and knife sheaths. I've been using Ballistol Sportmans oil and Lexol. Anything better out there? I'd really like to treat this leather well - unlike my boots that get oiled with whatever, and mink oiled once a year.

Any info appreciated.

Marc Price

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Kali leather life. Sold at sacs in Gonzales and all star ford locally. Locally made I think also. You won't find any better leather care out there period.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Don't oil your gun leather!

If your leather needs cleaning use saddle soap. You can use a variety of products to protect your leather, but kiwi neutral shoe polish works fine, I use renaissance wax, but it is pricey. Just don't put anything on your leather that says it will soften it.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have lots of leather experience due to the falconry stuff that has to be leather.. use soap and water to wash it if its filthy, or saddle soap if it is just mildly dirty.. obenhaufs heavy duty cleaner is the same as the stuff sold for redwing boots.. try it. I use it on my gloves for the hawk as well as boots and holster..

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Thanks again, will resist the urge to oil, and stick with old standby's saddle soap and either mink oil or one of the sealers (renaissance wax?) listed above.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Kcinnick, you obviously know more about leather than myself, but I had heard that even saddle soap was bad to use on items like belts and holsters...

I have been learning from people that have been working leather longer than I have been alive and that was I was taught. From my experience saddle soap hasn't softened leather, but don't use it if your leather is not dirty. I have found as long as leather stays dry, it doesn't need anything other than a protective coating every once in a while

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Kali leather life. Sold at sacs in Gonzales and all star ford locally. Locally made I think also. You won't find any better leather care out there period.

Definitely the BEST stuff out there. I use to use it on my King Ranch F250 and when I traded it in the dealer thought the seats were new. I use it on ALL of my leather. It is made in the Lafayette area and has NO petro distillates, just natural ingredients.

Top Bottom