Lee Factory Crimp Die and Bluge Buster ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twoball

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    Hammond
    Have any of ya'll used these ?
    How well do they work ?
    Can they be used to size or re-size loaded ammo ?

I never had any problems with my 40 S&W loads when shot from any of my several Glock barrels ....but some seem to be a bit of a tight fit when shooting in aftermarket 40 barrels

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I have a couple Lee factory crimp and taper crimp. The taper crimp scratches the **** out of my brass, so I stopped using it. The others I've had no problem from thus far.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I used a Lee Factory Crimp die in .45 when I started loading again a few years ago, with good results, but that was on a single stage press. I can see where any alignment issue on a progressive could cause big problems... quickly. I suspect that is what ScooterJ is talking about???

The FC die squeezes the bullet while resizing the entire case. The brass will spring back but the lead has no elasticity and remain whatever size it is squeezed to. In the case of 40S&W, a .400" jacketed bullet or .401" lead bullet may be sized down to .399" or .398". This is where the accuracy problems come from.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    FCD only crimp the case, they do not resize the case, Since 40, 9mm, 45 acp headspace on the case mouth you would probably want to use a taper crimp die.
    Regular sizing dies will resize the case and the bullet seating die will put a crimp on the case after seating the bullet if it is adjusted to do so.
    Again I repeat, there is no sizing of cases when using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
    I have 5 of them and I am getting ready to have a custom one made at Lee for my Marlin 338 Marlin Express rifle.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    FCD only crimp the case, they do not resize the case, Since 40, 9mm, 45 acp headspace on the case mouth you would probably want to use a taper crimp die.
    Regular sizing dies will resize the case and the bullet seating die will put a crimp on the case after seating the bullet if it is adjusted to do so.
    Again I repeat, there is no sizing of cases when using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
    I have 5 of them and I am getting ready to have a custom one made at Lee for my Marlin 338 Marlin Express rifle.
    The 9mm FCD on my press must be different than any of yours. My 9mm come out of the press with a "coke bottle" shape. Go to brianenos.com/forums in the reloading section and search for FCD and you will find many reports the same as mine. I have said before, I do not post things in the reloading forums unless I know them to be factual.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The Lee Factory Crimp Dies that I use only crimp at the case mouth around the bullet and is the last stage when I reload after seating the bullet.
    I'm thinking your using the seating die to apply the crimp also and it may be buckling the case if crimped too hard or at least it does when I reload rifle cartridges. I don't load for 9mm, 40, or 45, but I have had it happen to 45-70, 444 marlin, 44 mag, 45 colt as far as straight walled cartridges.
    I have resized loaded rounds after taking the deprimer assembly out.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Again... WHY would anyone need or want to resize a cartridge they just loaded; assuming everything was proper the first time it came out of the process???

To fix Glocked brass.
    The sizing die must have a belled mouth to guide the empty case into it. Because of the bell, the case does not get sized low enough. The FCD does not need the bell because the projectile will lead it into the case.
    Again, only stating fact. I do not agree with the reasoning behind the FCD but it does what it does.

Top Bottom