Lee Single Stage Press COMMENTS SUGGESTIONS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Looking at purchasing a single stage press.
    Interested in a used or new .
    I'm not looking to be a 1000 yard guy just to play with loads for hunting. 30.06,45-70& 300 ACC.

Thanks,KIRK/NORSEWOLF

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have a Lee Breechlock press that I love.
    I use the Lee Breechlock for pistol calibers with carbide dies.
    The ease of changing dies is simply outstanding.
    It's low mass makes for more rapid progression through the various stages.

For larger pistol calibers, or in steel dies, I use the Rockchucker by RCBS. The heavy mass of this press makes operations requiring torque much smoother.

The Breechlock is problematic, with it's bushings, with rifle dies. There is a vent hole in the die that must not be obscured. I've made it work in the past, but it was one more detail to pay attention to.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I have a lee breechlock that I used for pistol calibers. I can't speak for rifle dies, but it worked great for pistols. The press itself was solid, smooth, no complaints to speak of. The only reason I bought another press is I wanted a turret press to speed things up. I can't recall the actual numbers, but the tolerance of the finished OAL was great, they were all virtually identical, better than the turret press. I kept it for if I decide to start loading for rifle some day.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I have 2 lee presses the turret and the pro 1000. I'm happy with both.

I use the turret for small batches. I removed the stem that spins the turret and progress by hand. I like it since I can operate like a single stage but don't have to swap dies with every step. With multiple calibers I just have a disc for each caliber so changing takes all of 2 seconds.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Lee makes a good product. I've had no problems with steel dies so long as i lube the cases first. I have a Ram Prime but most often use a hand primer. Its not terribly slow and you can still make enough range and hunting ammo to stay happy. I picked up my press used at a gun show and dont regret it.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    They work great. I have loaded thousands of rounds through mine and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I use Lee dies for most of my reloads, both pistol and rifle, on a RCBS Rock Chucker. No experience with their presses though. The only problems that I had with the dies was using the Lee dies on a Hornady LnL progressive.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A RCBS Rockchucker is a pretty good press if you sure you're going to get in it and stay in it. If you want to dabble, get a used Lee Challenger for about $30 and upgrade later.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the info.
    I ordered the 50th Anniversary Reloading kit.
    I ordered 3 sets of dies. 45/70,30.06 & 300BLK
    I plan on getting a case cleaning set up.
    And a hand primerer.
    I had some Dillon reloaders tell me Lee was pure trash.
    I have know about Lee for 30 years and want options based
    On users of them.My experience is reloadinging has just begun

NOT ONE NEGATIVE ON THE LEE!
    Not top drawer but my first gun was a marlin 22.
    First car used beat up ford .
    This is a start and I don't think ill regret it.
    Looks like the kit was worth the assessories!
    Thanks,Norsewolf

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks for all the info.
    And a hand primerer.

Thanks,Norsewolf

Nothing wrong with most Lee products in my book. A large portion of my stuff is Lee and/or used. I am not crazy about Lee powder dispensing and scales. I don't like Lee case lube either, but I am kind of picky on my case lube.

What I suggest you do is write down your work flow. That will help you spot what tools you need. I don't see where you have case lube, case trimmers or case measurement tool. Plus you may need special shell holders for the hand primer depending on which one it is. You may be able to get away without case measurement tools but they do make it easier and safer.

I don't like breech lock presses. Here is why:
    I use lock rings on my dies. You can modify the Lee ones by drilling and tapping. With that setup I can change dies very quickly and they are universal 7/8 x 14 thread. My buddy has a breech lock and when he borrowed my dies it was another step to add/remove the bushings for him. So, yes some is just being too cheap to want to spend more on bushings. Plus I also have 2 single stage presses. One is marked sizing and the other seating. I just put the dies in and don't really need to change dies a whole lot. I also mark my dies and can see if they are not aligned or start to move. On lee dies the 2 issues are the lock rings and the decapping rods. I have had to modify both.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I will second that powder measure, it was inconsistent and I found I had to flick it with my finger every throw to get a measure consistent enough for pistol. Everything else in the kit was great, and the powder measure is cheap to replace if you don't like it. If you are weighing individually for rifle, it should work ok as you will be adding a little anyway. Also, many people complain about the scale, but I found it ok once you learn how to read it. Still the only scale I have.

An infinity owner may tell you a Honda civic is pure trash. That does not mean that Honda won't get you to work every day.

edit: It also doesn't mean a Honda civic is an infinity.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have their hand press for doing decapping/resizing/flaring while watching TV. It works great.

I had a lee loadmaster at one point and it was kind of finicky; I ended up selling it when I took a four year break from shooting and reloading.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Thanks for all the info.
    And a hand primerer.

Thanks,Norsewolf

I started with a Lee Anniversary kit. Later I upgraded to an RCBS press. What I found is that while the RCBS was heavier, it didn't work any better than the Lee. The opening on the Lee was larger and easier to work in. You will need to order the Lee shell gauge holders in each caliber so that you can trim your brass to the right length. You'll need a dial caliper too. The Lee Powder measure works fine. The primer tool is top notch. The scale works fine. The Lee Case lube is great. It's really all you'll ever need. Congrats.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    I will second that powder measure, it was inconsistent and I found I had to flick it with my finger every throw to get a measure consistent enough for pistol. .

I tap mine with a quick double tap of the forefinger at the top of the stroke to get the powder settled in. I do the same on the down stroke so that all the powder is dispensed. I have never been off when I have weighed successive charges. Now if I load 20 rounds I'll check every 10th charge. Never an issue at all. It's cheap and crude but it works just fine.

Top Bottom