Left handed shooter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carl51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Hi guys I'm a left handed shooter and I was wondering what handguns y'all would recommend for a left handed shooter I'm looking for something with the slide release and mag release on the right side of the firearm ..

Thanks in advance , Carl

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hi guys I'm a left handed shooter and I was wondering what handguns y'all would recommend for a left handed shooter I'm looking for something with the slide release and mag release on the right side of the firearm ..

Thanks in advance , Carl

Any Gen 4 Glock has the ability to flip the magazine release, just make sure you use Generation 4 magazines if you flip the mag release.
    It's a slide stop, not a slide release; many firearms come configured with the slide stop on the left side. Learn to grab the slide and rack it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm a southpaw, and I have no issues with my Glocks. They're lefty-friendly IMHO- the slide issue never bothered me.

If you prefer to have to have the slide stop release on both sides, check out the Smith & Wesson M&P Series- another great choice. Solid guns.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Why ? Being left handed myself I feel I have an advantage over right handers because the controls are on the left side of the gun making it easy to manipulate . Instead of using the thumb for the slide release I use my "bird" finger or my index finger, just as fast , just practice practice practice .

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Fellow leftie here as well, in fact right isn't even an option with my right hand capability. I started with the Walther P99 because it was fully ambidextrous, but the best thing I ever did was just acclimate myself to right handed guns. (whoever said it above, credit to that person as a +1)

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Being left handed is an advantage. I am one. Once you learn to use your trigger finger to hit the mag release button, as well as the slide release lever, you will love it. The advantage is that by doing it this way you do not have to change your grip of the gun manipulating the lever / button and seconding it is hard to have an accidental discharge because your trigger finger will not be on the trigger while manipulating the lever / button.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Being left handed is an advantage. I am one. Once you learn to use your trigger finger to hit the mag release button, as well as the slide release lever, you will love it. The advantage is that by doing it this way you do not have to change your grip of the gun manipulating the lever / button and seconding it is hard to have an accidental discharge because your trigger finger will not be on the trigger while manipulating the lever / button.

I've discovered a few advantages to being left handed when it comes to firearms. Some more awesome than others.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Smith & Wesson M&P C (not the Shield) has a slide stop lever on both sides of the frame, and the mag release can changed for left handed use as well. The safety was ambi as well. Pretty sure the full sized ones are also ambi.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    The safety is my only concern. I shoot an STI and have no problems. Trigger finger for mag release. Amb safety, use my thumb. Don't concern myself with the slide stop. If the gun goes to slide lock, I reload and manipulate the slide with my off hand.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Thanks in advance , Carl

For a LH friendly mag release, most of the new designs are either ambi or reversible. For a LH friendly slide release, your choices are slightly reduced but there are some good options such as the M&P family.

Carl51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Ok thanks guys I have a Beretta 92 was just wondering if I would be better off with a fully ambidextrous handgun guess practice is going to get me more efficient it just feels a little weird lol !

Carl51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    I was actually looking into getting a H&K thanks I'm going to look at some Walthers now thanks !!

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

I've discovered a few advantages to being left handed when it comes to firearms. Some more awesome than others.

Agree with both of these.

Just want to note that on my M&P's, I was able to reverse the mag release for a standard configuration for left handed use. BUT, I changed it back because I prefer to use my index finger instead of my thumb.

I shoot rifles right handed though.
    If I wanted to go all Rambo, I could fire the pistol in the left hand while shooting the rifle with the right, and it would be natural for me. I doubt it would be accurate, but at least my trigger fingers would be happy.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    One consideration is at night when you shine a light youd'd generally expect the human to be on the right hand side of that light as you face him. (He's holding it in his right hand...)

If they shoot that direction, they miss.

This is just for fun. Don't get all ballisticaltactical on me.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    I don't find being left handed as a disadvantage. What slide releases I can't operate comfortably with my left hand I can with my right thumb... Note, some of the mag releases have been switched over (like on the Sigs), some have not.

A few of this lefty's hand guns I don't mind recommending to another lefty (or those otherhanded)...

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I don't find being left handed as a disadvantage. What slide releases I can't operate comfortably with my left hand I can with my right thumb... Note, some of the mag releases have been switched over (like on the Sigs), some have not.

A few of this lefty's hand guns I don't mind recommending to another lefty (or those otherhanded)...

Almost time to get a bigger table.:rofl:

Top Bottom