Left-Handed Stainless Steel Bolt Action?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Does anyone manufacturer a stainless steel bolt action in a left-handed model? :confused:

I can look on manufacturers websites for current models easy enough but searching for all the various models out of production is nearly impossible. :doh: Im not against buying used.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Does anyone manufacturer a stainless steel bolt action in a left-handed model? :confused:

I can look on manufacturers websites for current models easy enough but searching for all the various models out of production is nearly impossible. :doh: Im not against buying used.

Ruger's Gunsite Scout rifle can be bought in a stainless left-hand configuration for a little under $900.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6828.html

Are you just looking for a left-hand bolt gun in any caliber? What exactly are you looking for?

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Gunbroker shows Tikka Savage ruger and Weatherby. I believe Remington also had a 700vssf lefty model

Last edited:

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I doubt you'll find many that make them much less find one in stock from a "mass manufacturer" (ruger, rem, etc). Your best bet would be to go to a custom action like stiller, defiance, etc. which is what i did.

Stephen

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This is one that I built recently for a customer in Virginia. $2200 without scope.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450193151.194107.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450193177.656228.jpg

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Buds gun shop shows quite a few models from the above manufacturers as well. The buds selection make give you a better idea of the range of models. They had quite a few in Stock. Good luck.

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Ruger's Gunsite Scout rifle can be bought in a stainless left-hand configuration for a little under $900.

Gunbroker shows Tikka Savage ruger and Weatherby. I believe Remington also had a 700vssf lefty model

Like I said, I can find left handed models in current production lineups pretty easily. Every firearm manufacturer today has a pretty good website setup with the exception of maybe Colt. I actually have several browser windows up right now with what Im looking for. Right now Ive looked at Ruger, Savage and Tikka. I still havent browsed through Remington, Winchester or Browning yet.

Its the out-of-production models I cant get information on easily. Maybe some of the members here have a catalog in their head of older left hand bolt action models in stainless. I know thats a lot to ask from one person but I was hoping several people would start throwing out models that theyve used in the past or know about for me to research.

Are you just looking for a left-hand bolt gun in any caliber? What exactly are you looking for?

Im not really sure. I own a few pistols and a shotgun but I dont own and have never even fired a rifle. I dont know anything about rifles and Im in the process of learning now. My requirements of caliber for all my firearms has always remained the same...cost of round, availability of round and low recoil for accurate followup shots. Thats why my pistols are 9mm and .22LR and my shotgun is 12 gauge. I have one .32 acp pistol but that was chosen for the deepest concealment I could get with a defensive round.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I doubt you'll find many that make them much less find one in stock from a "mass manufacturer" (ruger, rem, etc). Your best bet would be to go to a custom action like stiller, defiance, etc. which is what i did.

Stephen

Ruger, Remington, and Tikka all have left handed models. Unless the OP is looking for something specific, there are a ton of left-hand bolt guns.

Im not really sure. I own a few pistols and a shotgun but I dont own and have never even fired a rifle. I dont know anything about rifles and Im in the process of learning now. My requirements of caliber for all my firearms has always remained the same...cost of round, availability of round and low recoil for accurate followup shots. Thats why my pistols are 9mm and .22LR and my shotgun is 12 gauge. I have one .32 acp pistol but that was chosen for the deepest concealment I could get with a defensive round.

Just buy a left-hand STAG AR-15 and be done.

Last edited:

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    i read it as an "action" not a complete rifle, if that is the case then yes there are quite a few.

Im sorry, I thought I posed my question correctly. Like I said, I dont know much about rifles. From the limited research Ive done Ive decided on bolt action function for a rifle. Im left handed with long guns which wasnt a problem for my Mossberg 590A1 as I can fire that left handed but I can see a bolt action being a real problem in right handed in my "wrong" handedness. :mamoru: One of the reasons I went with the Mossberg over the Remington was the ambidextrous tang safety.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Im sorry, I thought I posed my question correctly. Like I said, I dont know much about rifles. From the limited research Ive done Ive decided on bolt action function for a rifle. Im left handed with long guns which wasnt a problem for my Mossberg 590A1 as I can fire that left handed but I can see a bolt action being a real problem in right handed in my "wrong" handedness. :mamoru: One of the reasons I went with the Mossberg over the Remington was the ambidextrous tang safety.

I'm wronghanded too. And I wanted a bolt gun for a while but right before I got ready to buy my grandfather gave me his rimington pump action 30-06 and it served me well as a deer rifle. Personally if I were to go back to wanting a bolt it would be for long range shooting using bipods and if thats what you want the bolt gun. Having used a right handed bolt gun or two I feel us wronghanded folks would have an advantage on a right handed bolt gun because you dont have to break grip on the strong hand to operate the action shortening follow-up and increasing your accuracy. But that only works if the guns soul purpose is to shoot from a rested position. Off hand shots can be made but what a PITA.

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    I'm wronghanded too. And I wanted a bolt gun for a while but right before I got ready to buy my grandfather gave me his rimington pump action 30-06 and it served me well as a deer rifle. Personally if I were to go back to wanting a bolt it would be for long range shooting using bipods and if thats what you want the bolt gun. Having used a right handed bolt gun or two I feel us wronghanded folks would have an advantage on a right handed bolt gun because you dont have to break grip on the strong hand to operate the action shortening follow-up and increasing your accuracy. But that only works if the guns soul purpose is to shoot from a rested position. Off hand shots can be made but what a PITA.

I dont really want it for any specific purpose, I just want a rifle that is a jack-of-all trades rather than a master of specialization. I dont plan on buying several rifles for different scenarios. I just want a rifle at some point because my shotgun and pistols arent for long range.

I had sort of settled for bolt action because in my limited research it seemed that the almost unanimous opinion was that bolt action was the most reliable rifle action. I also prefer all my things to be easy to disassemble, have few parts, parts availability, able to make parts for in a pinch(like machining instead of complicated casted parts) and DIY repairability. I absolutely LOATHE proprietary parts, function or software.

Im completely open to being swayed away from bolt action if enough people can make a good case for it.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Im completely open to be swayed away from bolt action if enough people can make a good case for it.

I'll say it again.

Buy a left-handed STAG AR-15 and be done. Do some research and you will find that the AR will be accurate out to distances that you probably won't be able to shoot at, unless you have thousands of yards of open land.

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    I'll say it again.

Buy a left-handed STAG AR-15 and be done. Do some research and you will find that the AR will be accurate out to distances that you probably won't be able to shoot at, unless you have thousands of yards of open land.

Sorry, I should have mentioned...with the exception of semiautos. I dont want a semiauto.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Then I highly recommend you check out the Ruger Gunsite Scout.

You can get it in a stainless left hand configuration and it can be shot accurately right out of the box. There aren't many other rifles in the same category. To me, it sounds like you want a bolt gun just to have one, and if that's the case... unless you start shooting out past 300, you will get bored with magnified optics. IMO, a bolt gun with irons is about as fun as it gets. The Gunsite Scout is on my wish list, but AR's are just so cheap to build. It also doesn't hurt that the Ruger uses box magazines.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Sorry, I should have mentioned...with the exception of semiautos. I dont want a semiauto.

Its your money and you can like what you like and not what you dont.... But why not autoloaders? Accuracy in the ar platform wont be a drawback nor would availible parts for repairs and upgrades. Again if you dont like it, we cant make you nor would I care to try.

I just recently popped my ar cherry as opposed to a traditional autoloader and here are my reasons: as best I can tell they are more durable, more accurate, and have way more options down the road.

Again its your money so go with what you like best.

Last edited:

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Then I highly recommend you check out the Ruger Gunsite Scout.

You can get it in a stainless left hand configuration and it can be shot accurately right out of the box. There aren't many other rifles in the same category. To me, it sounds like you want a bolt gun just to have one, and if that's the case... unless you start shooting out past 300, you will get bored with magnified optics. IMO, a bolt gun with irons is about as fun as it gets. The Gunsite Scout is on my wish list, but AR's are just so cheap to build. It also doesn't hurt that the Ruger uses box magazines.

Im really eyeballing that Gunsite #853225 but 1000 pennies is a lot of coin. Checks all the boxes though. I recently spent about 1000 purchasing and outfitting my Mossberg 590A1 Mariner so Im not so sure I can be in that price range but used isnt out of the question. However, finding a used stainless left hand bolt action might be challenging.

I do want one just to have it. :mamoru: How could you tell? :p

What do you mean by "get bored with magnified optics"? :dunno:

Its your money and you can like what you like and not what you dont.... But why not autoloaders? Accuracy in the ar platform wont be a drawback nor would available parts for repairs and upgrades. Again if you dont like it, we cant make you nor would I care to try.

I just recently popped my ar cherry as opposed to a traditional autoloader and here are my reasons: as best I can tell they are more durable, more accurate, and have way more options down the road.

Again its your money so go with what you like best.

Your suggestion isnt falling on deaf ears and its appreciated but Im deadset against autos. My years of experience tinkering with things and my very strong DIY philosophy almost to the point of being called a survivalist has me strongly in the K.I.S.S. camp. I used to be a 'bells and whistles' guy but that always came back to bite me in the ass. If I was Scrooge McDuck and spent my afternoons diving into coin pits I would certainly own several AR-15s in different configurations, 'just cause'.

...and have way more options down the road.

FWIW, this is big time with me and had me seriously thinking. My Mossberg is outfitted with all AR accessories. :cheers::bigok:

Last edited:

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Anybody know if a rifle with a bolt face for a .223/5.56 chambering can be barrel matched to shoot a .204 Ruger or other 20 cal rifle bullet? The .223/5.56 caliber rifle is common so I could buy a Ruger Gunsite SS LH but it would be cool to shoot the low recoil 20 cal rounds through it to see the hit through the scope if I could just buy a 20 cal barrel and slap it on the receiver for the .223.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Yes, however with a decent or proper shooting position you should be able to do this with a 223.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom