Leopold VX-R 1.25-4 Patrol at Academy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I went to Academy to look for the Ole' Man a Father's Day present. After getting him an Under Armour Polo and a nice knife sharpener I was breezing through the scopes and saw that they had the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 Patrol with the illuminated firedot reticle for $400 (retails for $589). I wasn't planning on spending that much money on my "Fathers Day" present but I couldn't pass up the deal. I was planning on getting the new Nikon P300 for my 300blk to use for deer hunting, but I think I will like this better for an all around scope. If not I can always get my money back by putting it up for sale on here. Damn. Now I need a 30mm mount. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371149598.977858.jpg

Last edited:

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I owned it for maybe 4 hours. Basically, I find it hard to assess a scope inside academy. So I bought it took it home and compared it looking down my street to a few known distance points I've established and found that first off, compared to the ACOG I had at the time (ta31RCO) it was nowhere near as good at collecting light, this is to be expected because fixed magnification usually CAN be clearer. (also compared a $1300 optic to a $600 optic may not have been fair. I also didn't care for the thickness of the reticle. I have a VX-R 3-9x TMR reticle (same Leupold line) on my wife's AR and the thick lines are really annoying past 200 yards. The 1.25-4x had the same issue. Overall, it wasn't a BAD scope or anything, it just didn't meet the expectation I had hoped for. So I returned it. Simple.

ETA:

I liked the Vortex 1-4x scope MUCH better. It was less money but VRRY clear, very bright, the reticle was thin, but not too thin, easy to find especially when illuminated. If I had to buy another 1-4x, it would without a doubt be the Vortex if I was looking in the under$600 range

Last edited:

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    Well, I have been looking at that one a coue of time also.
    Please let me know how you like it.
    Thanks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom