Lessons Learned from the Flood

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    but I don't walk around 24/7 with a WD portable drive in my pocket

I don't think anyone actually does that. The picture is showing how small it is. Hell, you can buy a 500GB Micro SD card now. You could hide that anywhere.

I trust the banks vault over most home safes.

I'm not gonna tell you that that is stupid, but I'll let you figure out why you should think twice about that.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have 2 1.5 tb usb hard drives. I also back up important things to that along with pictures (lost all my photos in Katrina). 1 is stored in a fireproof safe and other is easily accessible to make sure I actually back up to it. I like redundancy. I cannot upload a legitimate copy of my birth certificate, marriage license, baptism/confirmation cirtificate etc. Some places require the actual certificate so I rather keep it safe. I would imagine the banks sprinkler system is better than New Orleans FD/PD response time

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'm not gonna tell you that that is stupid, but I'll let you figure out why you should think twice about that.

Hey I'm open to advice. My thing is this: I could live just fine if I lost everything in my home and I could live just fine if I lost everything in my safe deoposit box. Now if I lost both at the same time that would be VERY hard.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    825b4f3a6990882a53f81f1a71257dd5.jpg

Number 3 is funny! I would bet those FEMA lines will be very loooong!

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA

I think #3 is a lesson many will (unhappily) learn. My cousin flooded, at first was thinking she would get a check from FEMA for $30,000 (no flood insurance). Lately, she has realized that the average payout from FEMA is about $8,000 -- that won't go far. Now she's figuring on a loan -- SBA or 401K -- and delaying her retirement indefinitely.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    If this was a 500-yr or 1000-yr flood, and you didn't flood this time, maybe you are pretty safe! At least until the next subdivision goes in next door...

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    If this was a 500-yr or 1000-yr flood, and you didn't flood this time, maybe you are pretty safe! At least until the next subdivision goes in next door...

I don't buy the expert's "500 year and 1000 year" rain storm explanations/terminology. Based on their best guesses, we experienced a 500 year rainstorm in March 2016, then a 1000 year rainstorm in August. So does that mean we're safe now in this region for 500 years going forward?
    Yeah right....

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I don't buy the expert's "500 year and 1000 year" rain storm explanations/terminology. Based on their best guesses, we experienced a 500 year rainstorm in March 2016, then a 1000 year rainstorm in August. So does that mean we're safe now in this region for 500 years going forward?
    Yeah right....

Good thinking but not the right line. The 500 year rain in March did not produce a 500 year flood on the Amite. It barely produced a 10 year flood.

Plus, it's like a roulette wheel. Just because it lands in red 10 this spin doesn't lessen it's chances of a red 10 next spin. The chance of it happening is the same every day, whether it happened yesterday or not. The average span over the years is considered once very xxx years. And yes, that's simply a calculation based on recorded history. So who knows if it's real or reliable.

I won't let it scare me out of the area I love yet.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Good thinking but not the right line. The 500 year rain in March did not produce a 500 year flood on the Amite. It barely produced a 10 year flood.

It produced a so called "500 year flood" in March within 60 miles of DS, .......Robert/Covington/Franklinton. Two major events within a 100 mile stretch.

So for the sake of discussion, according to the "experts", we have experienced both a 500 and 1000 year floods in southeast Louisiana, within 6 months.
    Think region.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    No. Region is a subjective matter. Region could be universe, world, state, even road.

The larger the region specified, the greater the chance of a disaster. Region is the factor can be finiggled to show any outcome desired.

I do agree that calling anything over 100 year is silly. Not enough historical evidence. I think 83 and March is representative of 50 year expectations. So we managed a red one and a black two in consecutive spins (if that's the color number combo, I'm no gambler) of the wheel. Likely? Nope. Likely to happen again? No more or less than it was the first time.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I feel the more we change the landscape the better chances we have to flood.

That's absolutely true. Especially for flash flooding though. Some things flash flood now that never have when I was younger due to the subdivisions gone up all over. But backwater is a different story altogether. Many of the projects have helped that. Henderson pumps for example, are a wonderful thing for the area I live in. Woulda been fine had the Amite stayed below the pumps design protection river level lol

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Here's my 2 cents:
    Military issue ammo cans can stay underwater for 3 days. No water seepage or ammo damage. Not even a drop of water.....
    The cheep Bass Pro Christmas sale ones can not ! (Yes they have gaskets )

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Here's my 2 cents:
    Military issue ammo cans can stay underwater for 3 days. No water seepage or ammo damage. Not even a drop of water.....
    The cheep Bass Pro Christmas sale ones can not ! (Yes they have gaskets )
    Mine held up for 3 days until i made it back and picked them up higher. Also i have one more reason to like leupold scopes. 4 of mine held up to being under for 3 days with no moisture intrusion. I had about 12 long guns that went under. With the exception of an h&r butt stock and 2-.22 crickets i had no damage. The stock had some swelling. The crickets had a couple small spots that the finish came off on but nothing major at all. Also cannon safes are where its at. Im getting upgraded from a 24gun to a 48 in the process of getting it replaced.....

Top Bottom