Let's discuss HB 142

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I was Googling around and found this original thread here.

My question was:
    -------------------------------------------------
    I have a question about if I can own a firearm or not.

12 years ago when I was in my early 20s and in college, I did something extremely dumb and was charged with 'aggravated arson' in Natchitoches, LA. I accepted a plea deal and served probation and paid off all of my fines. I have not been in any kind of trouble since then.

Can I ever own a firearm?

It appears after reading 10+ pages of the original thread. The overall answer is a resounding NO. I can never own a gun in the state of LA. :\ that sorta...sucks for someone who is completely different now VS when I was 21 and in college.

That is what HB142 is trying to correct.

LA has a process for you to have your rights restored.
    This will bring the CHP law in line for the ATF to recognize that your right were restored.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    I'm not sure, but I don't think all felonies will qualify. rn4j0r, "aggravated arson" may not be one of the offenses for which rights restoration is possible(?).

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I was Googling around and found this original thread here.

My question was:
    I have a question about if I can own a firearm or not.

12 years ago when I was in my early 20s and in college, I did something extremely dumb and was charged with 'aggravated arson' in Natchitoches, LA. I accepted a plea deal and served probation and paid off all of my fines. I have not been in any kind of trouble since then.

Can I ever own a firearm?

It appears after reading 10+ pages of the original thread. The overall answer is a resounding NO. I can never own a gun in the state of LA. :\ that sorta...sucks for someone who is completely different now VS when I was 21 and in college.

Since it was a state offense, I believe you can get a pardon from the Governor. I would consult a lawyer who handles that.

Gungrabishere14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Offgrid
    (1) Solicitation for murder.

(2) First degree murder.

(3) Second degree murder.

(4) Manslaughter.

(5) Aggravated battery.

(6) Second degree battery.

(7) Aggravated assault.

(8) Mingling harmful substances.

(9) Aggravated rape.

(10) Forcible rape.

(11) Simple rape.

(12) Sexual battery.

(13) Second degree sexual battery.

(14) Intentional exposure to AIDS virus.

(15) Aggravated kidnapping.

(16) Second degree kidnapping.

(17) Simple kidnapping.

(18) Aggravated arson.

(19) Aggravated criminal damage to property.

(20) Aggravated burglary.

(21) Armed robbery.

(22) First degree robbery.

(23) Simple robbery.

(24) Purse snatching.

(25) Extortion.

(26) Assault by drive-by shooting.

(27) Aggravated crime against nature.

(28) Carjacking.

(29) Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities.

(30) Terrorism.

(31) Aggravated second degree battery.

(32) Aggravated assault upon a peace officer with a firearm.

(33) Aggravated assault with a firearm.

(34) Armed robbery; use of firearm; additional penalty.

(35) Second degree robbery.

(36) Disarming of a peace officer.

(37) Stalking.

(38) Second degree cruelty to juveniles.

(39) Aggravated flight from an officer.

(40) Repealed by Acts 2014, No. 602, §7, eff. June 12, 2014.

(41) Battery of a police officer.

(42) Trafficking of children for sexual purposes.

(43) Human trafficking.

(44) Home invasion.

(45) Domestic abuse aggravated assault.

(46) Vehicular homicide, when the operator's blood alcohol concentration exceeds 0.20 percent by weight based on grams of alcohol per one hundred cubic centimeters of blood.

It appears that yes you cannot attain a ccl in Louisiana but it doesn't mean that under Louisiana law 14.95.1 that you don't have your rights in the state but federally you are screwed under the "unless clause" so walking in the store and making a purchase is impossible currently. There is a brave person challenging the fact that a ccl is a privilege and that there is much court precedent in terms of 14.95.1 being the law of the land. But again this mess was created in Louisiana in 2014 and it takes time to sort out. My opinion is Louisiana law you are good in Louisiana but not in any other state. The fact that all right hinge on a ccl is retarded especially in an OC state. Good luck and don't give up.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Heard through the grapevine that this is headed to the Bug's desk!

Congratulations to you guys that took this by the horns and got it done! :bravo:

Those of you that did nothing; but will benefit from the work of others now, well; you know who you are! :madfawk:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Heard through the grapevine that this is headed to the Bug's desk!

Congratulations to you guys that took this by the horns and got it done! :bravo:

Those of you that did nothing; but will benefit from the work of others now, well; you know who you are! :madfawk:

I posted my opinion about the issue on an internet gun forum. What else would you have me do!?!?!?!

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    I would personally like to say thank you to all of the individuals who were instrumental in getting this brought to the forefront of this legislative session. The gross interpretation of our state law by the federal government has been addressed and "We the People" have overcome! It is very encouraging to see our government work as a representative voice of the people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would personally like to say thank you to all of the individuals who were instrumental in getting this brought to the forefront of this legislative session. The gross interpretation of our state law by the federal government has been addressed and "We the People" have overcome! It is very encouraging to see our government work as a representative voice of the people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I know for a fact that BS Member coance, was instrumental in getting this done! He took the reigns and drove it all the way!

infringed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Louisiana
    Working with our legislators and other advocates on this has been one of the best experiences I've had. I learned a lot about how the process works and have a lot of faith in the process that I didn't have before. While there are some legislators that never respond to any form of communication, others were very concerned with the problem and actively communicated with me. They even took input on the language of the bill to ensure that the problem would be resolved with no room for more "interpretation".

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Working with our legislators and other advocates on this has been one of the best experiences I've had. I learned a lot about how the process works and have a lot of faith in the process that I didn't have before. While there are some legislators that never respond to any form of communication, others were very concerned with the problem and actively communicated with me. They even took input on the language of the bill to ensure that the problem would be resolved with no room for more "interpretation".

Well, let's not go off the deep end here. There are a lot of dumbasses in that process! I am glad you were involved and took something away from that place other than a feeling of being molested! You guys had a lot of big boys in your corner. NRA, LSA as two notables.

People can say what they want, but when the NRA publically backs a bill, it gets attention. Even from those that wouldn't ordinarily be so open to pro-gun issues. ;)

The way to foster continued good will with those Legislators for future pro-gun issues is to thank them for their votes in favor. If they went above and beyond, send them a well written letter of thanks!

Now you ex-criminals go get your gun Rights back; and STOP BREAKING THE LAW! :mamoru:

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    Infringed was very involved to say the least. He was the brains behind the wording. He is a very smart guy and deserves alot of credit for his perseverance. There were more involved also that I thank for their help.
    I, like infringed ,learned alot through this whole thing and am very glad it went our way.
    Now maybe back to a normal life.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Infringed was very involved to say the least. He was the brains behind the wording. He is a very smart guy and deserves alot of credit for his perseverance. There were more involved also that I thank for their help.
    I, like infringed ,learned alot through this whole thing and am very glad it went our way.
    Now maybe back to a normal life.

A good lesson to take away from this is how you guys felt during the process. In other words, it could have been a lot different turn out. I am a staunch "pro-gun" Rights supporter and advocate within the framework of the US Constitution; that is to say that I don't agree with everything "Pro-gun" just because some gun group wants something that they perceive to be positive. I openly supported your efforts because it was a just cause. But make no mistake, there were so-called "gun-guys" that didn't give a rats ass about your dilemma.

In the future, you guys remember how that process works for others. Those who may stand for the right reason, but don't have enough political allies; as you guys did in this particular case. If you put yourselves in their shoes, like you were; you might lend some support to their cause too! ;)

Safetyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Baton Rouge
    I honestly never thought this would work out the way that it did. I can’t thank the folks involved enough.
    I hope it all goes smooth with the Feds from here.

Gungrabishere14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Offgrid
    The go between for the state and Nics at the Louisiana Supreme Court is a gentleman named Frank Defuko, not 100 percent on the last names spelling da-foo-co is the pronunciation. Hopefully in August he can fix any issues between the 2 entitys. Conance and Infringed kept the fight going and effected legislation which happened sooner than most of us expected so good job. But I will say the NRA was no help at all and only swooped in the final few months to take some credit and that's a fact.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    STOP BREAKING THE LAW! :mamoru:

LOL. Is that a "Liar, Liar" reference? Classic Jim Carrey Movie.

Your client knocked over another ATM. This time at knife point. He needs your legal advice.
    hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom